Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'89 Turbo...low mileage with Salvage Title??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Not to throw another log on the fire. I would call those more "industry guidlines" than facts.

Great information to have and I was glad to read it. The exception to all of it would be that a private party can sell for whatever someone will buy it for. If the car is rare, unique or disirable enough the guidlines don't mean much. (I would agree that I don't think that is the case with the car we are all discussing, it is priced too high IMO)
consumer reports reliability records are guidelines. their guidelines are based on facts.

the industry guideline you refer to is in fact a guideline that is in fact based on facts.

so the fact is the guidelines are facts. aint that a fact.

now take that log off the fire.

A private party can pay what they want. I may have my 951S sold to a private party, and an unmolested low mileage 951S in a good color like mine is exactly what said private party is looking for. I will soon be an expert on the value of a 951S with a clear title in this market.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eh...the only true "fact" in any of it would be the $ value that any specific car sold for.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:47 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow so this is what happens when I leave this board for a few days!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
I've been following this with a bit of amusement, and frankly, I would not buy a car from you. First, you lack any sense of humility. The OP was a potential buyer seeking advice. You completely hijacked it, and made the thread entirely about YOU. If you really wanted to sell a car, you would be seeking input from the market (that would be us). That means you do more listening than talking. You BRAG about how much you've made parting cars, and about how you are pocketing about $20K from the insurance company.

Second, you are tap dancing around the condition of the car - how many owners, how significant the damage was, etc. You may feel like you are trying to be honest, but considering point number one above, I read your posts as dancing around the issue. Probably not fair to you, but folks don't just test drive cars, they test drive the owners, as well.

Third, you have a horrifically inflated perspective of the value of your car. There are five pages here where people who know are telling you that very thing. And the funny thing about all of it is that folks on Rennlist generally have an inflated view of the market. Sheesh, the guy trying to sell his S2 for $5500 had folks here slobbering over what a good deal it was.......it sold on ebay at his reserve for $4000. The 951 I just bought was similar - folks here thought it was a great car for the asking price of $4500. I thought it was a $3500 car, but I paid a bit more for it (below the asking price) becuase - and this gets back to the first point - I LIKED THE SELLER. That may seem inconsequential to you, but he was completely honest, made no claims that remotely exaggerated the condition of the car, and it was clear he took good care of it. I felt I could trust the guy. I don't feel like I could trust you.

So, take that FWIW. Not trying to be a jerk, a so-and-so, or make enemies after I've only been here for a couple of months. If you actually ARE trying to sell the car, you'd be well advised to adjust your perspective of the car, and your attitude. I've no doubt you'll attack me for posting this, but believe it or not, I'm actually trying to help you.
+1

I would add as well that the turbo S with mods that I parted late 2007 (before the giant economic downturn) yielded around 10k.

Personally the only reason I would buy a salvage/rebuilt title car is if I was planning on parting it. I've seen too many "clear title" cars with cut up frames to venture down that path.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

damiza,
here is another thought, if someone bought a turbo new in 1989 and a week later smacked it up, the insurance company would have paid 20,000 to fix the 50,000 car.

fast forward and if that car instead of being driven from 1989 to 2004, it was kept in a time capsule. if the driver of the car now worth 15000 had an accident, and the damage was 12,000, the insurance company would total it.

good luck with whichever road you take.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:34 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, thanks for the follow-up post. Very classy, and apology fully accepted (though I wasn't "offended").

Sounds to me like your plan is fine. Like you said, everything has a price. What is the absolute MOST you would be willing to pay for the car, tack on a little to it, and enjoy the car without trying to sell it. Nothing wrong with that approach. Sounds to me like the car is worth more to you than most others, so I'd just sit back and enjoy it right now. My father-in-law has a mint S2 that beat a national concours show winner at a local show, and then got caught in a hail storm. He'd thought of trying to sell it until that happened. Now he just enjoys it.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:27 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I quit reading after the dog vomit. Too funny, not getting into the issues but thanks for the laughs damzia!
Old 06-06-2009, 04:42 PM
marcusw03
Instructor

hey ill give you 4k cash for the turbo with the salvage title...
Old 07-09-2009, 01:23 AM
jaegmeister
2nd Gear

Default Hey Damiza

Send my that intercooler ASAP!!!!! check your ebay account. I'd buy your salvaged car if I had the cash!!!!! I'm on your side. DUDE SHIP THAT INTERCOOLER

Quick Reply: '89 Turbo...low mileage with Salvage Title??