Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'89 Turbo...low mileage with Salvage Title??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Yikes! You said "unmolested" and then on the next page it takes a big paragraph to describe all the damage and what you did to fix it. That my friend, is BS.

We can agree it is a fabulous, spectacular, rare 951 with a small glitch in the history books. You made your profit on this car when the insurance company "indemnified" you. Don't expect to make out twice. You seem to be pissed that your pennies on a dollar swap only bought you .75. There are a LOT of TS bargains out there. You unfortunately have one with an invisible blemish. I'm sure that it is a fantastic car for the right guy. If you get your 17K, I'll say I'm sorry. But if the offers come in around 12 and 13k, are you going to tell us we were right?

In this market, the only sane thing to do is to just drive it. Surely on some days it is preferable to a stroker?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Time to raise the price on mine from 15 to 19.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Time to raise the price on mine from 15 to 19.
Needs to be $34k so that the salvage title one is 50% of yours

(and if you guys keep raising your prices mine will go up too)
Old 05-25-2009, 10:31 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it has not been mentioned you might want to contact your insurance company / agent and see if they will insure for value if you are getting full coverage no matter what caused the salvage title the insurance agents i know will not touch it if you want full coverage
Old 05-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by damiza318
There's really no need to ever have to insure it all.

Theft!
Old 05-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Cole
Drifting

There's really no need to ever have to insure it all. I've come to find out and learn over time that it's not totally necessary and actually never really worth having comp. on these cars since if you ever wreck them or the engine ever goes on them, you can easily make at least all of your money back, even more by just parting them out. That is if you have the time, and willing to put forth the effort. You suppose that you also need the correct living arrangement / place of residence to do it at. My first ever turbo, I blew the engine in, a guards red '86 951 w/ only 50k orignal miles and I made every dollar back by parting it out that I had paid for the car, the whole entire 10k

I just never saw a return on my money spent on performance parts and the labor associated with paying to have them all installed, (bigger turbo, 3" exhaust, MAF) and also lost out on the money spent on a head gasket, valve job, tranny rebuild, etc.

For that same reason, it is not even worth paying to ever have them fixed.
just part em out and move onto the next with the money you get from parting

cheaper and easier that way and alot less frustrating although a bit more involved and more-so of a hassle without it I suppose

Or just be a safe driver, and if somebody else hits it, then they have to pay for it regardless whether or not you have comprehensive (assuming they have insurance)

Oh wait. What about hail damage.

Some of us would like our cars repaired instead of having to go through the pain of parting a car out just because it was hailed on while we were in the office.

What a silly way to look at insurance. What about it getting hit hard enough that there are no good parts to part out?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Theft!
nah, nobody ever steals a 944.

oh wait, my 944 was stolen. silly me.

cole, you an adjuster for travelers out here?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Cole
Drifting

Haha.....no. But I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last nigt.

(actually a financial advisor, so a bit analytical about financial risk)
Old 05-25-2009, 11:51 PM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

This is definitely an interesting thread for me as I recently bought an 88 Turbo S with a salvage title, still wrecked actually! I hope you do get $17K for it! I am interested to know what you guys think my car may be worth once it is back on the road.
It was wrecked over 7 years ago and had since sat in a garage needing repair and I suspect it was branded with a salvage title because the owners son ran it over a curb. The damage was all basically from the fog lights down, R&R front bumper + radiator supports, Batwing, Radiator, AC Condensor, engine covers etc. + tranny oil cooler line! It is almost back together now after spending about $2K+ on used parts, but I could definitely see how they would have salvaged it out 7+ years ago.
Without getting into the whole story, it is a 1988 Turbo S with 70K original miles which I bought from the original owner. I have all the original delivery paperwork on the car, spare keys, tool kit, manuals etc. Stone grey metallic with stone grey leather interior. I just got it running again and have just done a major tune up and am about to do the timing and water pump as well.
Thoughts on its value?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:05 AM
JJK78
Rennlist Member

set it high.

the first ridiculous offer always wins

easily at least double digit thousand stacks

I'm guessing $10k - $12k if you want to get rid of it quick / quick enough
Sweet, actually just looking to get it instected by the state (GA), register it and drive it. Although if my employment situation does not improve soon i may be forced to sell it Good to know i won't be in the hole if I do have to let it go!
It sounds like you have a really nice car there. Being a running vehicle it would be a shame to part it out so I hope someone is lucky enough to strike a deal with you for it!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Cole
Drifting

Haha.....no. But I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last nigt.

(actually a financial advisor, so a bit analytical about financial risk)
Old 05-26-2009, 01:25 AM
2zeroes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you were the one that got this car. I was going to buy this car back in 05 @ Princeton Porsche when it had around 46k miles. I was there that Monday checking it out just before the service department started working on it, and waiting to give them my money in case your deal fell through.

The sales manager was a nice guy. He saw me pull up in my 993 turbo and after he told me that a deal was pending on the 944 turbo, he tried to sell me that red 1997 993 turbo s with 3000 miles. He even let me test drive it. He said $130k would take it home, I should've bought it.

Last edited by 2zeroes; 05-27-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Daily944
Racer

There is no set market price concerning salvage titles. And 50% reduction, you're crazy about that.
Insurance companies in California will only pay out a maximum of 60% on a salvaged title vehicle. It may differ from state to state, but probably not by much.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:13 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Daily944
Insurance companies in California will only pay out a maximum of 60% on a salvaged title vehicle.
That's actually pretty generous. Rule of thumb when purchasing a salvage title vehicle is 25% - 50% of full value. Personally, after having dealt with so many salvage title vehicles, I will never buy another one regardless of how minor the damage or how well the repairs. Been burned too many times by either shabby repairs that were covered up, or other underlying damage that wasn't discovered and/or disclosed.

Kind of OT - for those who don't know, AutoTrader Magazine is no more. Online only. Our last print was two weeks ago.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:11 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 110 Posts

I sold my rare BMW 325iX with a salvage title about a month ago. With a clean title I could have gotten $3-4K. It was a nice car is great demand. I finally settled for $1500. Every serious prospective buyer wanted one with a clean title. I have no problems buying a salvage titled car; I just wouldn't buy one considered collectible and pay anywhere near top dollar. Good luck with the sale though, it sounds like a nice car.

Quick Reply: '89 Turbo...low mileage with Salvage Title??