Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might be the most indecisive person in the world.... someone talk me down

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:25 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I might be the most indecisive person in the world.... someone talk me down

Just when I get my mind set on something, one of you guys shows me something I like even better....

Now I'm thinking I want to CALLAWAY MY NA!!.... seriously.

The system looks easy to fab up, Doesn't need an adapter kit like the LS1 does, and if you use a standalone system, you wouldn't need the "5th" injector, an AFM, or anything else that would make the setup difficult to adapt to an NA.

You can get a brand new LR long block engine thats "built" for under 5k (Same as a used LS2 pullout). The best stand alone system made for 3k (Same as the RH kit), custom weld a new exhaust manifold from SS for a few hundred. a turbo, intercooler, and turbo trans. from someone parting a car on here.

I think you could build a great turbo car for less money than an LSx swap, and have it be new. Not a used pullout that you'll have to rebuild anyway...

Anyone smell what I'm cookin, or am I crazy...... well, crazy for thinking this anyway?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend your money on anything you want...and this way, the car is still all Porsche. Whatever floats yer boat I say!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:31 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea of the turbo 4's, so I like where you're taking this, but in the end, that's quite a bit of change, you've spent. Would be pretty cool to see a custom turbo setup!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:36 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

FWIW, I have everything you need to turbo an N/A except for a turbo and wastegate.........cheap!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark, you need to set an HP goal.

I think you should drive a turbo car, see if you don't mind the lag and then make your choice.

There are so many option with the kind of money you are thinking of that first you should decide what you will be happy with.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by m73m95

You can get a brand new LR long block engine thats "built" for under 5k (Same as a used LS2 pullout). The best stand alone system made for 3k (Same as the RH kit), custom weld a new exhaust manifold from SS for a few hundred. a turbo, intercooler, and turbo trans. from someone parting a car on here.
You could do it cheaper

-you could probably get away with a chip and piggyback since it would be pretty close to a factory 951 $500
-S2 Tranny $700
-forged pistons (951) $150
-exhaust $300
- K26/ Volvo intercooler $200
Add a grand for everything you forget about and your done!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:53 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

The lag will be less pronounced with a detup similar to the Callaway cars. Simply because a log style manifold puts the turbo right on the exhaust ports pretty much. Top end suffers in relation to the longer design like on the 951's, but response is great.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:02 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

No matter which way you go the outcome is simliar When the sun comes up in the morning you still own a 'one-off' car that is worth probably 1/2 of what you put into it when you go to sell it. The same goes for an LS# conversion. As cool as any custom made car is they seldom cover the time and expense of the contruction. I would love a Porvette just for the performance and wow factor. Still, it would never receive the respect and resale of a well documented original car. I'm done throwing money at these cars and seeing them sell for $6-$8K in the real world.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 PM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

See, I think if you approach the situation from that standpoint then you're not getting the full enjoyment out of the car. When it comes to modifying the cars, it's about how much fun YOU can have while owning them. That's the return right there.

So many people get so caught up in resale values, and depreciation, that they don't see the real reason behind doing a motor swap or dumping thousands in parts. The car is an old car. If it appreciates, the value will always be undercut due to the fact that it's been modified and raced. So which is it you want? resale value on a depreciating market, or fun watching the next guy scratching his head after being TROUNCED by your 80's Porsh?

I myself bought my 951 knowing it was in great condition. Before I got the thing, I knew damn well, what putting a bigger turbo and a 968 wing would do to the value. I still want to sometime, because that's what I want for MY car. It's a tool for my enjoyment. If that means taking a hit on value, then so beit, because as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather enjoy the fun I have while driving and owning my car... Not selling it.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:50 PM
hidsolutions
Track Day

Originally Posted by blown 944

I think you should drive a turbo car, see if you don't mind the lag and then make your choice.

There are so many option with the kind of money you are thinking of that first you should decide what you will be happy with.
Lag is possible and really depends on the turbo setup itself. With the right sized turbo, proper tuning and not a 'drag queen' or 'dyno queen' numbers in mind you can get a turbo that will full spool @ 2500 rpms give or take.

After riding in a monster 550hp BMW M3 turbo and then one making 350HP the 350HP one was MUCH more fun. It make full boost at 2500 and in the seat of the pants it felt faster overall.

Definitely set a HP goal so then you can properly pick your pieces to the kit you are going to build or buy. Without it you are kind of 'shooting' in the dark and just starting off down the HP road with no maps.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:57 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 944obscene
See, I think if you approach the situation from that standpoint then you're not getting the full enjoyment out of the car. When it comes to modifying the cars, it's about how much fun YOU can have while owning them. That's the return right there...So many people get so caught up in resale values, and depreciation, that they don't see the real reason behind doing a motor swap or dumping thousands in parts. The car is an old car. If it appreciates, the value will always be undercut due to the fact that it's been modified and raced. So which is it you want? resale value on a depreciating market, or fun watching the next guy scratching his head after being TROUNCED by your 80's Porsh?

.... I'd rather enjoy the fun I have while driving and owning my car... Not selling it.
Don't get me wrong, I still get more smiles per mile from all of the performance cars I've owned. I'm just not in a position like you, where at age 22, you can devout that kind of time and energy to a project. My finances and time are pretty much spoken for but I still get my blood warmed up by driving a moderately modified 80's car than trounces many a new car. Taking one of these cars to 'scary' next level is where the serious diminishing $$$ return problems show up since depreciation is already taken in a 20+ year old car.

If a person loves to wrench, can afford the addiction, and develop a specialty car that is great. I've just adopted a philosophy lately that my investments in anything are scrutinized more closely today than a few years ago.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:25 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944

maybe we can do an anti-lag experiment
Old 05-13-2009, 06:04 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

OK, let me respond.

I don't think any of us owns a 944 of any kind for resale value. If you own it 2 years, then I promise you've got more into it than its worth, even if its stock. Clutch, belts, suspension, brakes..... This is for 100% pure and simple enjoyment.

I've thought about the supercharger, and I do still like it. I just don't think the idea is "perfected". Not to say that it can't be, but I know Sid had a few problems here and there. Plus, I REALLY want to keep my A/C. Its to hot here in Vegas to not have A/C in my car.

The LS1 is/was the best idea I think. The things I don't like about it is the "kit". I know it works. Several people have proved that. Its just not.... natural. I don't care that my car wouldn't be all Porsche. I don't care its a Chevy engine. I just have a little nagging in my brain that its not going to be quite right. Having to redo the A/C lines, PS lines, brakes, and ECM, its not ALL going to work like factory.

Then the turbo. I think converting to a 951 setup isn't worth it. Just go buy a 951. But, the Callaway setup looks great. Its simple as hell. Doesn't require crazy exhaust pipes going under the engine and back again. The original Callaway setup had its problems (5th injector), but technology has come a long way since 1985. With big injectors, a stand alone system, and a fabbed up exhaust manifold, I think you'd be rolling fat.

The lag would be almost nonexistent. The problem with a 951 is the 4 miles of exhaust that has to get pressurized before it will build boost. The one real problem that is sticking out in my head right now is heat. The turbo sits right under the passenger floor, which is also where the ECM sits. They don't like heat real well. I think it could be resolved with shielding and coating the hot side of the turbo. Then with that, the A/C still works, the PS still works, the brakes still work, and the engine fits without any problems.

Sid... Thats the thing. I don't know what I want. I've seen the Mule, and I LOVE it. With a turbo engine, that setup would be great. Then there's the LS1. TonyG's car makes me drool. The V8 just has brute force.... Earth twisting torque. Then someone posted the Callaway car. It looks simple, and just as fun as a 951. I've been in a bunch of turbo cars, just not a 951. The lag doesn't bother me.

As for a HP goal? With the LS2 I was planning on, I was shooting for 450WHP. That's probably a bit lofty for a street car, but I was shooting for it. Thats why I'm so indecisive about this. There are so many ways to go, each with their own positives and negatives that I can't decide. One thing I do like is being different. I don't want the same car that everyone else has. Thats one reason I like my 944. Not only are they rare, but no one knows WTF it is until they see the Porsche badge. If I added a SC, LSx, or Turbo setup, I'd keep my uniqueness. I don't want to buy a 951 just for that reason.

(PS... good to hear from you again Sid. I haven't seen you post in a while.)
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m73m95
The LS1 is/was the best idea I think. The things I don't like about it is the "kit". I know it works. Several people have proved that. Its just not.... natural. I don't care that my car wouldn't be all Porsche. I don't care its a Chevy engine. I just have a little nagging in my brain that its not going to be quite right. Having to redo the A/C lines, PS lines, brakes, and ECM, its not ALL going to work like factory.
Well, it's your call, but the feel isn't like other "kit cars", or hybrid jobs. A well-done swap really feels like it rolled off a factory line somewhere. It feels designed as a piece.

Have you driven TonyG's car?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

No. There's no way I could fit in it lol. If he would swap in a stock seat for rides, I'd be all over it.

I read your thread when you drove it, and I believe you. I'm sure its a blast to drive. I'm defiantly not downing the LSx idea. Its still tied at the top of my list. Its in my head now that I could get close to the same experience for less money/time though.

Like I was saying, a brand spanking new LR engine is under 5k, a Standalone system is 3k, and the rest can be done with part outs on here. I was planning on between 12 and 15k for the LS2. I think you could do a respectable Callaway clone for 8 to 10k and have far less headaches...but then there's still the usual maint. that goes with the 2.5 engine, which the LSx doesn't have lol.

Quick Reply: I might be the most indecisive person in the world.... someone talk me down