Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questons about a 91 S2

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:32 AM
83 944
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default questons about a 91 S2

so me and Elliott Grafton aka drift a 944, are working on a 1991 944S2 cabriolet and the lady is a friend of ours and she has a truck issue and cabriolet top problem.

first off is the trunk, we put the key inside the trunk and we hear the motor doing its job but its not unlatching the trunk lid. and we pressed the button/switch by the hood popper to pop up the trunk. no good. the motor is working but it is not popping. Is there a way that we can pop the trunk to see what is going on wrong???

Second, the cabriolet top doesn't work. she just put on a brand new top for this beautiful baby and she doesn't work. me and Elliott have never worked on an S2 Cabriolet before so we don't know what's up. there is other mechanical problem with the car but is all easy as pie haha. but the top is put on correctly according to her and the man who put it in but the power is not getting to the top ?

if you have an S2 cab. and can help please respond asap.

thanks

Mike/ 83 944
Elliott/ drift a 944
Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

on the cab cars in the driver side doorsill there is a pull cable that will manually open the trunk lid. youll have to pull the vent thing out of the door sill though.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

IIRC, the car needs to be on but not running and the parking brake engaged to operate the top electrically. Have you tried to raise and lower the top manually?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude,

a load of things can be wrong, pls give us some details on what you have checked,

1> to start off with, if you have changed the top, was it working before hand,
if not you have disturbed some cables

2> usually on the cab's you need to have the engine OFF, open the hood and push it up a few mills so the 2 top metal prongs dont make contact, then press the button

3> IF YOU DO not hear a noise any noise, then check the fuse and relay (its marked in the fusebox)

3a> could also be the motor which is buried under the hood, near the trunk, to get access to it you need to remove the hood

4> if you do, then its the gearing, open the passenger panels, there are 2 big **** off gears, check the bolts in there are tight and the gears are moving

4a> also in there is a couple of micro switched, but i think they govern when to tell the motor to switch off when opening the hood

any more pls holla

but help us to help you, give us info

Originally Posted by 83 944
Second, the cabriolet top doesn't work. she just put on a brand new top for this beautiful baby and she doesn't work. me and Elliott have never worked on an S2 Cabriolet before so we don't know what's up. there is other mechanical problem with the car but is all easy as pie haha. but the top is put on correctly according to her and the man who put it in but the power is not getting to the top ?

if you have an S2 cab. and can help please respond asap.

thanks

Mike/ 83 944
Elliott/ drift a 944
Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

thanks everyone, we will try a few of your suggestions and then get back to you.

much appreciated!
-E
Old 05-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Photodan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The motor for the hatch release has a short lever that connects to the cable that pops the latch. The lever is just a die-cast piece and break easily, so you can hear the motor working but nothing's happening. From memory it's attached to the motor with a 10mm nut and has a pin with a small clip at the other end that holds the cable.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:12 PM
83 944
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

alright we will check these? Elliott will give more details i do not know as much as he does so he can help you so you can help up. once again thanks guys we greatly appreciate the help! =]

-Mike
Old 05-06-2009, 11:37 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
IIRC, the car needs to be on but not running and the parking brake engaged to operate the top electrically. Have you tried to raise and lower the top manually?
+1. They key needs to be in the first position...one slight click. The Porsche Dealer I had do a PPI on mine did not even realize this, it gets a lot of people.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:43 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Open the trunk and peel back the trunk carpet, right on the inside of the trunk where the keyhole is, take a look at the motor that opens the trunk. Chances are it is broken. If you hear the noise like the motor is moving, but the nothing is happening, then there is no question. The little pivot arm IS broken.

The cabriolet top motors are located under the top itself. There are cables that run from the motor to each side of the car under the rear interior panels to the little gearboxes that drive the convertible top.

There is absolutely no reason that any of the motors, drive cables, or either of the arm drives on each side should have been touched during replacement of a top.

First and foremost like everyone has said, check to make sure that the ignition switch is is the correct position. The top will not open if the car is on. Also, the E-Brake does not need to be engaged. The top will move with or without the ebrake on.

Like adrian said...

Unlatch the top then push the top up with your hand and try each key position. My top wont open unless I push it up with my hand first.

If when you push the switch for the top, you do hear the sound of the motors turning, then its most likely what adrian said. The big 19MM bolt under each of the motors.

If you dont hear sound, first start with the fuse. On a USA 91 cabriolet, it should be fuse number one. If the top was recently replaced, somewhere along the lines this fuse probably blew. (also, check any fuse that says sunroof or convertible top on it)

The second thing would be to check the microswitch in the top of the windshield, where each of the latches are. One of the 2 little metal teeth close that switch when the top is latched, to prevent the top from opening while the top is latched down.

The third thing is to pull off the passenger side rear interior panel. There is (I think) only 1 microswitch located under there. That switch stops power to the top when the top is in the full closed position. When the top is fully closed, the arm under that panel contacts that switch. I dont really imagine this would cause a problem opening the top however.

If this doesnt work then youre going to have to pull the little cover off of the inside and take a peek at the motors and the drive cables.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

ignition needs to be on

Originally Posted by jsaindc
+1. They key needs to be in the first position...one slight click. The Porsche Dealer I had do a PPI on mine did not even realize this, it gets a lot of people.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:07 PM
eshane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Elliot, This is Chip in Orlando, with the black 944 S2 cab. Send me a PM w/ your phone # & we'll get together on Saturday and take a look. I have all the manuals for the cab, and I can show you'all how to go to a manual top. Really easy, just as quick, because you have to put the boot on anyway. But just sent me a pm.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

manual cab..

yeeew, takes all the fun outta it.
just fix it, cant be anything to major

Originally Posted by eshane
Elliot, This is Chip in Orlando, with the black 944 S2 cab. Send me a PM w/ your phone # & we'll get together on Saturday and take a look. I have all the manuals for the cab, and I can show you'all how to go to a manual top. Really easy, just as quick, because you have to put the boot on anyway. But just sent me a pm.

Quick Reply: questons about a 91 S2