Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating Re-A/C-ing my car

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts
Default Contemplating Re-A/C-ing my car

Ok so about 3 years ago when I was rebuilding my engine my A/C was broken. So, when the time came to put everything together again I installed an AC delete bracket, removed the AC compressor, dryer, and condensor.

Over the last 3 years reality has stepped in because southern California is ungodly hot during the summer. Usually I drive around with the windows down for airflow, or with the sunroof open and the fan blowing if I want to hear music or something. However it still gets ridiculously hot and my back gets sweat-stuck to the seat lol. This is why I am thinking about putting A/C back on.

What would I need to do this? The long, rubber shielded lines in the engine bay are still there, just ziptied out of the way to the frame rail with their ends shrinkwrapped over. The entire under-dash assembly is still there, as is the A/C switch. I don't believe anything else was removed other than what sits in the engine bay.

Are there more efficient compressors/condensors that would work on the 944? I wonder because it would be great if I could find a smaller condensor. Anything else I should check out on the car before I reinstall A/C? This is an early BTW.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, I was just thinking about doing the same on mine. Unfortunately, I also removed the under dash unit (it is separate from the heater core unit on early cars). I kept all the parts but I wish I had taken photos before pulling it all out of there (if anyone has some good photos of this area, please post them or PM me). I know there are better compressors available but am not sure about condenser. It would be interesting to know if the 968 uses different components since they were delivered with R-134 systems.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Daily944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That pre-summer heat getting to you out in Riverside Spencer? hehe

I don't know if there is any other units that are more efficient that would work with a 944. My only suggestion is you might want to have your unit rebuilt. After you do all the re-installing have the system evacuated and inspected to make sure you don't have any leaks. You can also run 'duracool' in place of the original freon. It's a larger molecule then 134 and helps with leaks. Any a/c shop that uses this could tell you more about it.

I had my NA converted to 134.. ended up being more expensive then I thought .. I run duracool in my S2. The S2's a/c works great when the a/c button isn't sticking in the off position.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

I have an early style aftermarket compressor and condenser for sale. I think I also have an evaporator as well. Worked great! I can't remember the brand off hand, but I know when I looked into it it was a popular choice. It has the adapter brackets already on it. It was running 134.

Shoot me a PM if interested....
Old 04-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Johnny Player Special
Instructor

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Ok so about 3 years ago when I was rebuilding my engine my A/C was broken. So, when the time came to put everything together again I installed an AC delete bracket, removed the AC compressor, dryer, and condensor.

Over the last 3 years reality has stepped in because southern California is ungodly hot during the summer. Usually I drive around with the windows down for airflow, or with the sunroof open and the fan blowing if I want to hear music or something. However it still gets ridiculously hot and my back gets sweat-stuck to the seat lol. This is why I am thinking about putting A/C back on.

What would I need to do this? The long, rubber shielded lines in the engine bay are still there, just ziptied out of the way to the frame rail with their ends shrinkwrapped over. The entire under-dash assembly is still there, as is the A/C switch. I don't believe anything else was removed other than what sits in the engine bay.

Are there more efficient compressors/condensors that would work on the 944? I wonder because it would be great if I could find a smaller condensor. Anything else I should check out on the car before I reinstall A/C? This is an early BTW.
I am going to yard out all the AC stuff on my 84 mainly compressor maybe the condensor things in the engine compartment and was looking to buy the AC delete bracket. I would be willing to trade ya.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:22 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I think the ventilation system on 944s suck without A/C in the summer. There's not enough airflow in the car even with the windows down.

My A/C died during one summer and I would come out soaked when driving. You'll love your car more once you get that thing re-installed!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

only problem is it might be in the way of my SC
Old 04-20-2009, 04:28 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
I think the ventilation system on 944s suck without A/C in the summer. There's not enough airflow in the car even with the windows down.
As Jeremy Clarkson once said about most sport cars, "like an asthmatic blowing through a straw."
Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

so aside from reinstalling the dryer, condensor, and compressor and a few lines should i check anything in the system?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:09 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You must install a new dryer. Firstly, dryers need to be replaced periodically. Secondly, dryers are pretty much ruined when exposed to open atmosphere.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:24 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

good to know. thanks!

if the blower unit works fine without issue is it pretty safe to assume that the electronics are all in order and that just the mechanical parts are needed? is there any way to test an ac compressor with it out of the car, maybe the reason my system didnt work was because it was out of freon?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:13 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know about testing the compressor electrically, but one minor check is to spin the pulley, it should spin freely. If you're daring, I suppose you could try applying 12V and see if the pulley gets much harder to spin? Try it at your own risk!
Old 04-21-2009, 12:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

is there any danger of getting hurt when the clutch engages? lol
Old 05-02-2009, 10:48 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

howabout testing the condensor? is there any way to check that for damage? or should i just install it with everything else and hope it works and replace it if it doesnt and get it all recharged?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I don't know about testing the compressor electrically, but one minor check is to spin the pulley, it should spin freely. If you're daring, I suppose you could try applying 12V and see if the pulley gets much harder to spin? Try it at your own risk!
Don't do that if there is no refigerant to lube the compressor. You will quickly ruin the compressor seals etc., and you will be up for the price of a rebuild (at least).

Receiver/dryers generally don't need to be replaced unless they are exposed to air after being used (as yours will have been), in which case they _must_ be replaced before recharging your system. The old filter contents becomes chemically very corrosive after reacting with oxygen in the air.

Quick Reply: Contemplating Re-A/C-ing my car