Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you get alot of attention in your 944?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:12 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Around LA, you pretty see every kind of fancy car on the road so even a lamborghini diablo or a ferrari enzo is not that big of a deal. A 944 not that rare around here and its rather ordinary.

Spencer, I have ridden many different bikes but the phrase "stupid fast" came to mind when I redlined it in first a couple times. It hit 80 mph in 1st gear and made me a little dizzy. I thought to myself that I am too old to be doing this $hit (or maybe I need to have my blood pressure checked). I have a very stong grip and I am sure if I hit a bump I would have lost it since I was not expecting such a brutal pull. I have no doubt that bike hit 60mph in less than 3 seconds.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:34 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

80 in FIRST??? dear lord lol. im excited for being able to do over 40 in 1st when i swap the turbo tranny into my 944 lol

i remember from over the summer i spent a day in LA on my way to santa barbara and saw some nice stuff on the freeway, even played with an F430 on the 101 (well, i tried to play, he probably didnt notice me). then as expected when i was in hollywood/BH/SM there were more mercedes and BMWs than hondas, and i saw more bentley continental gt's in that day than i ever have lol
Old 04-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm always wishing for more attention, and I'm usually disappointed. There are very few 944s around here, and other than old-school Porsche lovers, I doubt most folks here know what they are looking at. This area (DC) is fairly anti-car, and for the real city weenies, it's not cool to care about cars. They're all polluting, dangerous contrivances.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Nothing I have owned gets more attention than what I ride in my avatar as just about everyone I ride by takes a peek at it and everybody who has ever ridden a motorcycle will trade war stories with you. I like the rider bunch so I compare wounds and trade stories with them most of the time. The bike is basically bone stock but has 30+ more hp than a 944 weighing in at less than 400lb. Having 12 brake pistons just on the front wheel alone to stop full floating pair of rotors is an interesting sight to see on any vehicle let alone the 6 inch rear wheel with 190 rubber.
Ya i hear ya, i get lots of attention on the bike... I find that the bike community is also a lot more friendly too. Have you noticed that? The only downside is that my car doesn't get the attention she deserves anymore. I used to be a big car guy, but after purchasing my bike 2 years ago, riding is my greatest passion.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:42 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha DC sounds like a great place...

Little kids think my car is a Ferrari or something
Old 04-14-2009, 04:10 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also get the Misconseption that my car is a Ferrari lol

I was on route 17 near hasbrouck heights near my job and decid to stop by subway for food. I'm k waiting in line and than two people walk in as I'm ordering my sandwiche and they go "that red Ferrari outside is real nice, don't see too many of those old 80s cars out anymore". Immediately I look outside th window thinking man I want to see this Ferrari too, and to no availe, its just my guards red 944 lmao
Old 04-14-2009, 06:04 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

everyone asks about it when they look in the garage.... /cry
Old 04-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by theykallmekem
I also get the Misconseption that my car is a Ferrari lol

I was on route 17 near hasbrouck heights near my job and decid to stop by subway for food. I'm k waiting in line and than two people walk in as I'm ordering my sandwiche and they go "that red Ferrari outside is real nice, don't see too many of those old 80s cars out anymore". Immediately I look outside th window thinking man I want to see this Ferrari too, and to no availe, its just my guards red 944 lmao
If they only knew that they could be stylin' in a Ferrari for $3,000 bucks!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:49 PM
krystar
Drifting

the immistakable sound of a ferrari 4 cylinder...they only made that for Mondial hehe
Old 04-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get a little attention in my 924s but not much, something about not having fender flares makes the car totally steath mode vs say a 944s2 like my dads car. I never thought i would be able to say "stealth mode" about a guards red car lol
Old 04-14-2009, 06:57 PM
krazykarl
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

So far in the 3 months I've been able to drive my car I've gotten a bit of attention, more then I get in my RSX. Had a gentleman at the gas station ask me about my car and had a honda salesman ask me a few questions about it when I drove it to a dealership to talk with a friend who worked there.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:20 PM
JayVee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See, that's why I have "name tags" on the sides of my car...now nobody will mistake it for a Ferrari

As far as attention goes, at least once or twice a week I hear a random shout of "nice car, or nice porsche"! These cars are starting to be rare, after all a 25 year old car can be classified as an antique.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I'm always wishing for more attention, and I'm usually disappointed. There are very few 944s around here, and other than old-school Porsche lovers, I doubt most folks here know what they are looking at. This area (DC) is fairly anti-car, and for the real city weenies, it's not cool to care about cars. They're all polluting, dangerous contrivances.
South of the beltway, I seem to get plenty of attention, when I am running... I get regular "Oh man, what year, I have/had/wanted to have one but it has been broken/broke/never had the ball$ to buy ..." I live in Richmond but drive to NOVA every day, plenty of waves, talks, thumbs from every walk of person...

I love hearing from folks who appreciate it for what it is, a great way to throw away dinos...
Old 04-14-2009, 10:52 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

I get plenty of attention, but the car is green and purple for god's sake. It will blind you...not always in a good way....
Old 04-14-2009, 11:48 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fun thread. Ive had a few people point at the car at the gas station. And a kid at mcdonalds told me I have a nice 928.

Quick Reply: Do you get alot of attention in your 944?