Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood scoop (read inside before flaming!!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Or you could just do what a lot of camaro/mustang guys do in the area where I live. Drive around without a hood.

I had a good friend in college who would always say "you can tell its spring in Ohio when the camaros come out to play with their hoods off".
Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Why not make it easier on yourself and find a proper Corvette to bolt to your engine, and go about the business of making that Porsche whole again?

JUST KIDDING, everyone has their own path, those of us that are lucky find it early in life..

Make sure you keep up the info, and have fun... You know I saw some pics of a 356 on E-bay I think with a butterfly scoop through a hole in the hood... maybe? OR think mid 70's trans am shaker hood... could look interesting...
I'd LOVE to do a shaker hood, but i don't know how it would hook up to the engine...i'll research that!

Originally Posted by alex
Ethan...

Is there anything you could have done to prevent the height you have, e.g., if your motor mounts were shorter, would it have avoided your need for a hood scoop?
see below

Originally Posted by Johnny Johnny
Oil pan clearance over the crossmember is a PITA with v8 swaps. There's not much room to play with. Some people drop the crossmember down .5" to 1", but this can really mess up handling. I prefer to leave the crossmember alone and alter the hood.
this is the exact reason why i won't be able to leave the hood alone...my oil pan is about 3/4in to an inch from the crossmember, but i still need 2.5 inches up top, so if i had dropped it an inch, i would still have needed to cut the hood, plus i'd rather have to cut up a cheap hood ( i have a couple extras that i haven't been able to sell) than start blowing ball joints and cracking a-arms from dropping the crossmember

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Try looking through this site. I think you'll find a few options.
http://www.carbontrix.com/store/
Personally when I see a bulge or scoop in a 944 hood and know there's been a duplication of the number of cylinders under there, I just can't help but think of Mullet hair styles. Sorry. I'm sure your car will be great and fast and reliable. Plus cost a lot less than I've dumped into mine. So you win.
HAHA, mullets....i used to almost have one, except it was a pony tail...
thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Or you could just do what a lot of camaro/mustang guys do in the area where I live. Drive around without a hood.

I had a good friend in college who would always say "you can tell its spring in Ohio when the camaros come out to play with their hoods off".
i will probably be driving it around for a while without a hood, until i can get the scoop done...should be interesting!

Thanks for the ideas all!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DVC's got an LS engine in his car, and I don't think he's altered the hood at all. What about an LS intake?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

on an lt engine? don't think it would come close to fitting...good thought though!

how about a NACA duct?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NACA-...3A1|240%3A1318
Old 04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Not a fan of the look, but it might work http://www.allporscheracing.com/Acc.htm

Old 04-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Johnny Johnny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Not a fan of the look, but it might work http://www.allporscheracing.com/Acc.htm

Unfortunately, we v8-ers need the "bump" more near the front of the hood, not the back, to clear the front of the intake and throttle body.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Johnny Johnny
Instructor

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Try looking through this site. I think you'll find a few options.
http://www.carbontrix.com/store/
Personally when I see a bulge or scoop in a 944 hood and know there's been a duplication of the number of cylinders under there, I just can't help but think of Mullet hair styles. Sorry. I'm sure your car will be great and fast and reliable. Plus cost a lot less than I've dumped into mine. So you win.
Yup - doing mach 2 with my mullet on fire!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, thanks guys. Any thoughts on the height of a vortec 5.3?

ETA- sorry for the hijack, I probably should have put this in the other thread...
Old 04-08-2009, 04:12 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

no problem! we're all trying to figure stuff out here...anyone thing the naca duct might work?

looking at the carrera hood scoop, it might actually work with some slight modifications, unfortunately they run around 150 bucks...maybe i'll just have to save up a little, unless there are any alternatives?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Johnny Johnny
Yup - doing mach 2 with my mullet on fire!
*Sigh*...

I mention mullets once, and look what happens.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
this is the exact reason why i won't be able to leave the hood alone...my oil pan is about 3/4in to an inch from the crossmember, but i still need 2.5 inches up top, so if i had dropped it an inch, i would still have needed to cut the hood
Yeah, it seems like the oil pan is the issue with all of these.

IIRC, Renegade's kit gets around this problem with a custom oil pan.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:10 PM
dream951
Advanced

Originally Posted by Whisper
IIRC, Renegade's kit gets around this problem with a custom oil pan.
Thats right, they do use a custom oil pan but when you start messing around with an air intake on the car then the hood can become a problem with clearacne.

Renegades kit allows the stock hood to be used since it cleats the throttle body but they never really took in account for the air intake.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

once again i say just swap intakes, much easier and cheaper than a new hood even if it isnt clean
Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Concur. Rerouting an intake seems a lot simpler than trying to find a way to modify the hood without having to grow a mullet.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 PM
DrIftAgious
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
sorry guys, i know you all are going to get on my case for putting a hood scoop on my car, but here's my dilemma...

The LT-1 i put in my engine bay doesn't quite fit, so i'm planning for the worst...that is having to cut a chunk out of the hood and put a scoop there. And no i can't shim it down or lower it any more, the motor mounts are built and the engine is as low as it can go...i still need 2 1/2 inches.

So, here's my plea...
could you guys help me find a tasteful, subtle hood scoop that's relatively cheap? I know that's asking a lot, but i don't have a whole buttload of money to spend on fancy expensive crap

Thanks a lot guys!
Ethan
lol not a problem with the hood scoop in my opinion. but i'm sure i'm late on this and someone has probably already said it, but i think a scoop would look like a 928 carrera gt.

Quick Reply: hood scoop (read inside before flaming!!)