Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 944 Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice build!
The most impressive of all is without doubt the welds
Old 04-25-2009, 05:59 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default update April 25

So after a week of Thai new year celebrations we're all back to work. The 944 has left the bodyshop after they popped in the lexan windows as a last job.

Now in the workshop, they replaced the airflap meter box with a bosch maf wich plugs directly into the existing wiring.

Working on the fuel system, fuel tank, filter, accumulator, another filter and the pump.

This weekend the rear axle will be replaced with the light weight ball bearing D9 axle and the 968 6 speed gearbox will go in. We will shorten the left side driveaxle and use that temporary until we get the 968 drive axles.

Also the picture of the lexan side window gives you a good look at the M3 mirrors on the car.

Will keep you informed
Attached Images     
Old 04-25-2009, 06:10 AM
ktel
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Very well done! Good luck to your turbo convertion! It's nice to see convertions different from the chevy engine swaps. But please, please, please consider using 968 mirrors! They will look lovely on your yellow car! These mirrors you installed belong to a civic not to a Porsche!
Old 04-25-2009, 06:17 AM
HJK
Pro

Ktel, I hear you, but the weight difference is alarming. I even tried the silly racing mirrors as in the picture below, that was just tooo ugly. My car will only be used on the track, so i did sacrifice some originality here.

Henk
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2009, 06:23 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking great! I was wondering how you and your project was faring with all the excitement over there we've been seeing on the news.

Are those lexan door windows operable or fixed?
Old 04-25-2009, 07:38 AM
HJK
Pro

The windows are fixed in there. We'll ad some ventilation ducts for air in/out later on. For now only the slide on the drivers side.
The excitement on tv (CNN/BBC) is about 25 times bigger then the reality. It's really shocking to realize how the news channels can create a biased view, not hindered by any knowledge and at the same time screw up a country's main source of income (tourism) without any accountability. Ah ya, guess thats life...
H
Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 AM
TheFiend944
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to avoid Thailand during Songkran, but now I am married the wife wants us to spend Songkran up north next year!!!

I agree about the news blowing things out of proportion. I was in Thailand during the Airport protest ( actually landed about 4 hours before it started), and durng the recent protests and it was nothing like potrayed on TV. Lots more people are die or get injured during the Songkran celebrations....

Now back on topic...... The car is looking good!

PS...... did you get my PM......?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:04 AM
HJK
Pro

I did get your pm but just got back from a Europe trip during and after Songkran.

Attached 2 more pics to show how the MAF replaces the air meter.
Attached Images   
Old 04-26-2009, 05:07 AM
HJK
Pro

Default what is this doing

Okay found one bit of a problem and I don't know what it is. I checked the wiring scheme but cannot identify it. Befor I get the electrical guy measuring out what it is and where it goes I thought I ask here. If any suggestion, please let me know. Thanks
Henk
Attached Images   
Old 04-26-2009, 05:57 AM
Daily944
Racer

Originally Posted by HJK
Okay found one bit of a problem and I don't know what it is. I checked the wiring scheme but cannot identify it. Befor I get the electrical guy measuring out what it is and where it goes I thought I ask here. If any suggestion, please let me know. Thanks
Henk
If i'm not mistaken that is the resistors for the h HVAC fan controls.

What maf unit is that you are using(part numbers)? And why specifically did you choose that one? I have a few bosch maf's from various cars laying around and it was going to be the next project for my S2.

The project looks like it's coming along great! Keep it up.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:49 AM
HJK
Pro

Craig, I bought the MAF kit from Deutsch9

It's a standard bosch MAF but it got signal conversion in the wiring ? Have a look

http://www.deutschnine.com/mm5/merch...uning-handling

When I get to the car later this week I will jot down the part no of the MAF, it came plug'n play.

Thanks for info on HVAC controls will rip it out!
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2009, 07:14 AM
Daily944
Racer

Originally Posted by HJK
Craig, I bought the MAF kit from Deutsch9

It's a standard bosch MAF but it got signal conversion in the wiring ? Have a look

http://www.deutschnine.com/mm5/merch...uning-handling

When I get to the car later this week I will jot down the part no of the MAF, it came plug'n play.

Thanks for info on HVAC controls will rip it out!
I just looked at my shop data books because I was not 100% sure that's what those were. They are resistors but for the cooling fans low and high speed. You might want to keep them just clean up the wires.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 AM
HJK
Pro

okay, thanks for the research, appreciate it.
H
Old 04-26-2009, 11:55 AM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Daily944
I just looked at my shop data books because I was not 100% sure that's what those were. They are resistors but for the cooling fans low and high speed. You might want to keep them just clean up the wires.
They are for LOW speed only. They can be bypassed and your fans will have only high speed. I'm not sure what your plans on for electrical modification, but many people on Rennlist have goen either way with keeping/deleting them, and most racers seem to have put in a by-pass switch inside to turn the fans on and keep them on if so desired or necessary. So you might want to make some space on your dash for that too.

Great looking car, by the way.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:09 PM
HJK
Pro

Thanks Daryl, that's how it will be then.

Quick Reply: Another 944 Project