Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet ANOTHER V8 944 [LS1 Powered] Pics and a sample Vid.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:00 PM
dream951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Nice. Last LS1 I saw for sale was $4k (ecu/harness/tranny/engine). $5k is the cheapest I've seen this done. Good job! Now it just needs a turbo or two
I bought my LS1 without the trans so it was as little cheaper.

LOL or two hey?! I think the car would be uncontrollable if it was turbo or any F/I for that matter! Theres a video on youtube with a guy that has a blower and has ZERO traction in third! I like my car too much to put it into a wall
Old 04-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dream951
I went with the stock 951 raditor and a lower temp (160°) t-stat and have NO cooling issues at all. I run at about 160° on the freeway and about 180° in city stop and go driving. I also am usind the stock radiator fans that kick on after 180°.
Hmmm. My NA radiator even struggles to cool the stock engine sometimes (noses over 2/3 towards the red when I pull off the freeway after an extended drive), so I think I will definitely need more cooling, especially with 6.2 liters.

And nag away, you will be happy that you did! I started nagging in the 2 1/2 month period after that I got all my parts in under 2 weeks! I should of nagged right for the beginning.
Well, all this will hopefully happen over the summer, so I have a little lead time.

And if you are going to track the car a oil cooler is a necessity, so you are going to be perfect.
Won't be tracking it. The goal is to make a really nice daily driver, sort of a "new old Porsche" that will combine the style and uniqueness of the old cars with the power and reliability of new components. It'll probably end up costing me a lot, but the hope it that it will be worth it.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 PM
dream951
Advanced

Originally Posted by Whisper
Won't be tracking it. The goal is to make a really nice daily driver, sort of a "new old Porsche" that will combine the style and uniqueness of the old cars with the power and reliability of new components. It'll probably end up costing me a lot, but the hope it that it will be worth it.
I like your style, thats kind of what I am going for. Ive always loved the body lines of the 944 and with different rims and slight modification you can definately make it a "new old p-car".
Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
B.Rudy
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Whisper
The LS6 is a modified LS1.

I think most people chose the LS1 because it's cheap and easy to get used ones in good condition, and any more than 350hp is probably redundant.

I'm going with the LS3 because I wanted "crate new", and the it's only 1k more for the later generation engine.

I see no reason why the LS6 wouldn't be a sound choice, though.

cool. who knows maybe as i start adding up the cost of the swap money will dictate a LS-1 but for now I REALLY like the sounds of 405 hp on a stock engine in a 944
Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Rudy
nice job man!
i just aquired a 89 turbo rolling chassis and am just starting to look into doing a swap. however id like to go with the LS-6. is there a reason everyone seems to choose the LT-1 or LS-2 over the LS-6? Is there a reason besides money?

thanks,
Bryan
Hey Rudy, Hows it going... Look into the LQ4, its basically an LS2 main difference is iron block instead of aluminum... its just out of a truck. You will need a cam, intake and accessories, but it will still end up being at least 1K cheaper and only 60lbs more. I saw numbers recently from a LQ4 witha fast intake and TB, and a cam, everything else was stock and it put out 525 to the crank. But gabe will if you mention it ... I can hook you up with a bunch of info for adapters and pieces from the research i have done if you want, and it will save you money over the RH kit.

Mark
Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 PM
marky522
Drifting

Quote from the LS1tech site...

Certainly not wanting to rain on everyones parade shouldn't you really look at the characteristics of the engine in determining which is "better"?

The LS2 is in a way more an LS6 than anything at all. Given the fact that it shares identical LS6 heads and a 2001 Z06 cam. The revlimit is likewise 6,600 and the compression has been raised to 10.9:1. The LS2 incorporates a 90mm throttle body and has an entirely new (not so great) PCM.

I certainly enjoy driving LS6 cars and also LS2 cars. They are just a little different. Where the LS6 really comes to life up top the LS2 just continues to pull from just about anywhere in the rev range.

Sure their will be fewer LS6's on the road but does that really make an engine better?

As I stated above, the PCM is completey different in the LS2 cars and incorporates many more fail safe features that are zapping performance in less than ideal conditions. Torque Management on both automatic and 6-speed cars is also a concern. Removal of such devices has created some beasts without any bolt-on's what so ever.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:28 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by B.Rudy
cool. who knows maybe as i start adding up the cost of the swap money will dictate a LS-1 but for now I REALLY like the sounds of 405 hp on a stock engine in a 944
You want a crazy motor get a LS3. They make sick power even stock with headers and exhaust.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
You want a crazy motor get a LS3. They make sick power even stock with headers and exhaust.
That's what I'm doing.

I'll probably end up killing myself with it. But I'll die happy.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:41 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

is there a brake booster installed on the car?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:18 AM
dream951
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fishey
is there a brake booster installed on the car?
No brake booster, but a custom plate to bolt back on the master cylinder. The engine cant fit in there with the stock brake booster installed.

(Post #24)
Originally Posted by dream951
1. I went without power breaks, and it really isnt that bad actually. Stops pretty good but it was a turbo car so the brakes obviously are a lot better then the N/A.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:50 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Here's a question for you engine guys...I ran into a guy that races 944s, 951s and 928s...he had an 88 944S...and turbo'd it. He ran 8 pounds of boost with a custom header, turbo, wastegate, etc...I asked him about the head gasket, since a stock one probably couldn't handle this boost. He said the head was "o-ringed" and he had no head issues. What does this mean?

He did eventually blow the a rod bearing when the boost controller's spring stuck at 12 pounds of boost on turn 5 at Mosport...but at 8 pounds he said the car was sickly fast.

Sorry to hijack here....
Old 04-02-2009, 11:59 AM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
Here's a question for you engine guys...I ran into a guy that races 944s, 951s and 928s...he had an 88 944S...and turbo'd it. He ran 8 pounds of boost with a custom header, turbo, wastegate, etc...I asked him about the head gasket, since a stock one probably couldn't handle this boost. He said the head was "o-ringed" and he had no head issues. What does this mean?

He did eventually blow the a rod bearing when the boost controller's spring stuck at 12 pounds of boost on turn 5 at Mosport...but at 8 pounds he said the car was sickly fast.

Sorry to hijack here....
O ringed head is when a machine shop machine a impression into the cylinder head around the combustion chamber, then a metal o ring is installed, usually it is part of a specific head gasket, it then practically eliminates blowing the gasket unless your head lifts of the block under extreme load. but the down side is if your engine reaches excessive combustion temps/pressure it will find the next weak spot to go to, usually resulting in catastrophic failure.
you can almost think of a widefire gasket as a fuse, I would rather blow the head gasket then damaging the engine, then at least you can retry the tune or repair the problem.
But at certain levels of power output as serious head gasket is required.

B.Rudy (b**5*h*tang) welcome aboard.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

8lbs on a 944S is crazy unless hes got some really nice octane
Old 04-02-2009, 12:27 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

94 octane from Sunoco.

He has the set up in his shop still, and he'd sell it...

I was thinking, "this might be a cool project"....hence I started a performance head gasket thread for starters.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

i wish i could find such wonderous jungle juice out here, but the ca legislature has decided that 94 octane is for cars that are polluters and should not be sold..

Quick Reply: Yet ANOTHER V8 944 [LS1 Powered] Pics and a sample Vid.