Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power can a k26 support?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:22 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

27-8 I can agree with, with the exception of that much power at 16 psi. I wonder whether it is a 2.8L.

Josh (rogue), take a look at the BSFC in the link you provided. IMO it should be ~ .55 -.60

All I can say is that I have raced my car with the k-26 maxxed out (WG valve clamped off,_max boost_) and it only netted 280 rwhp @ 105 mph (actual). From what I have found the actual hp is down from most dynos so there is a little leeway there, but I can't believe 50 hp.

again it is all moot if you are happy with the car. I would be happy with it myself.

Not trying to argue any points. Just being rational to what I have witnessed.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah something about those numbers aren't right. Here's the K26 & K27 compressor maps.
Attached Images   
Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I emailed the place that I got it dyno'd at as well as the place that it was built at to see if they could remember anything. I wish i lived closer to all you guys so maybe you could check it out and see what you think. Wont have time till Sunday to do anything with the car unless i give up a friday night and just start taking the pipes off to get at the turbo...but anyways just gotta wait for the emails to come back i guess
Old 03-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Jeremy - I've never had any luck reading those turbo graphs - is there a cliff notes explanation somewhere?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

that crank would make it a 2.8L but it would need different pistons and/or rods to work..
Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justin@Endlessdetails
alright, well i just emailed the shop to see what factor numbers they use, so hopefully they will get back to me sooner than later. Thanks for all the info and i will still be taking some parts off to get at that hotside to see just what it is. I think i also remember the previous owner saying something about a k27 impeller inside of the snail if that helps
That would make ALOT of sense.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B
If it is really a k27/8 that helps alot. There are probably folks on the board that would say those numbers are possible with that turbo configuration but I still suspect that the dyno number correction factor is off or there is some block/head work. You could easily have a three liter crank in there and that would make it a 2.7 liter I think. Haven't figured out how that works to increase displacement if anyone wants to chime in....
That essentially creates a stroker and would net 2.8L. The other option is boring out for 2.7L.

For reading those compressor maps, look on the Garret webpage..they have a great tutorial on making sense of them, though you will probably have to read it a few times to understand. Im a marine engineer and deal with diesels all day long.. it took me two readings to get the gist of it .
Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

there are alot of cars that aren't on renn list that are putting down very nice numbers.

when i had my A4 i was making huge numbers on my stock turbo and when i finally got onto some kinda audi forums everyone dismissed my numbers as bull **** because they didn't believe the numbers i was making. turns out that i was right and now people regularly make the same power out of there car. number was about the same 300+ whp on stock a stock K03 turbo.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ then how much can I make with two more cylinders (2.7) and additional k03 250 seems a little conservative?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:07 AM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keithr726
^ then how much can I make with two more cylinders (2.7) and additional k03 250 seems a little conservative?
you can make quite a bit with those motors with a nice flash tune...but i'd go for the rs4 ko4 upgrades and make over 400...

I dable in VAG cars too...i have a 2003 vw 20th anniversary GTI as my daily
Old 03-27-2009, 12:19 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Keithr726
is your 2.7 stock? people get all happy about putting in k04s onto there S4 untill they see the bill. you need so much stuff. RS4 intake, RS4 y pipe, a tune injector rail and injectors. its just expencive and then after that your going to be chasing problems foreverrrrr.

We are replacing the stock turbos with K04s in a few weeks once they come on my friends car.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:24 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Justin,

I wouldn't tear anything apart.

Drive it...enjoy it, and to hell with the numbers. Seems like you have yourself a great re-freshed ride, I'd not waste time stripping it.

Go have some simulated fun with the vettes
Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 AM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
Justin,

I wouldn't tear anything apart.

Drive it...enjoy it, and to hell with the numbers. Seems like you have yourself a great re-freshed ride, I'd not waste time stripping it.

Go have some simulated fun with the vettes

well i wasnt exactly going to strip it, just take the IC pipes off...yet the hot side sits under the intake manifold more, and i know i want to put a turbo hat on there to reduce heat to the manifold...

as for taking vettes...its a little hard with the newer ones...i was cruising around with a buddy of mine one day...he has a 2004 vw r32 with a custom turbo setup with the biggest sized t3/t4...with a boost leak on low boost which should be making around 400 whp the brand new z06 was barely pulling away...high boost the car makes 463hp and 511 ft/lbs to all four wheels...so for now, i deal with mustangs, slightly older vettes and anyone else thats is stupid enough to want to race, granted i dont street race, i just drive hard sometimes...but oh well...

giving the guy from the shop that built it a call tomorrow...he emailed me back and would rather speak to me on the phone...so i shall get some answers tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sid, yeah I agree with the BSFC being low. But even if you raise it, the plot line is still on the map - just takes more boost to get there.
Take your 280rwhp, then add 3psi more air (drop to sea-level) and you will definitely be over 300rwhp.
When you clamped the wastegate line, was this the factory wastegate? Because it will still open with enough backpressure. To truely max the k26 - a dual-port wastegate with pressure keeping it closed is needed, or just weld the wastegate shut

Might be fun to try to do - see exactly how much we could get out of a k26...

-Rogue
Old 03-27-2009, 02:00 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Josh, no it was literally the valve that was clamped. The diaphram portion was off and just the case and valve were there. Valve was vise gripped at the top. I was well aware of the pressure against the valve .. and eliminated it

It was maxxed believe me. It went to probably ~ 27-30 (off gauge reading) psi then came down to ~ 14 at top end.

It took only about 2 weeks of this abuse,..... and then, well.... I tried a shot of Nitrous too and it wasn't having that and blew the turbine apart. I guess the turbine wheel and housing can't handle 400+ HP going through it.

This was all at bandimere it ran a 13.7's with only turbo and went half track like a banshee on the bottle but POOF . That was all she wrote for that turbo. It was an interesting ride home for sure smoked like a freight train. I actually got pulled over for it. Had to stop and get more oil too. It made it. With all the crazy stuff I have done with both of these cars I have never had to be towed home from the track.

Yes I am crazy like this

Quick Reply: How much power can a k26 support?