Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power can a k26 support?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also the ve would have to be awesome to get 330 rwhp at 16psi on a 2.5.

Not likely
Old 03-26-2009, 01:38 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

youd need a big turbo that doesnt work too hard to get that kind of easy compression...maybe even ceramic coated everything to help the spool..
Old 03-26-2009, 03:05 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, you have one nice looking car outside and inside(where it counts in this thread).

My k26/6 hits full boost at 3,000, yours looks about 3,650 so this is not a #6 hotside by any means however the boost does drop off ~2psi by redline along with the AFR creeping slightly up. Could you take some better pics of the turbo? From where your AFR is at now, I wouldn't run anymore boost. I keep my AFR under 12 while under boost but then again I'm only using 91.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, some points...
A k26 cold-side _can_ put down 300rwhp, IMO. And the compressor maps I've seen support my opinion. Example:

Click Me

Now the stock k26/6 hotside is going to be hard to push that much air through... AFAIK there is no #10 option that will bolt-on to a k26 and stock crossover/downpipe. So at best you are running a #8 hotside, which is more then capable of +300hp. The late response of your turbo suggest that you are running a larger then factory #6 turbine hsg/wheel.

Your turbo could very well be a "stock appearing" upgrade, but without pulling the turbo and measuring the wheels it will be very hard to know. IIRC a K27 compressor wheel can fit in the k26 housing with some work. And a #6 hotside can be machined to fit a #8wheel. This combo is exactly what I would do for a 'cheater-turbo'. This also fits the late-response of your turbo.

Final thought is that since the history of the motor is uncertain, the short-block could be an NA piece. Running higher CR pistons will make more power assuming knock is under-control.

BTW, do you have any more info on your air-meter?

-Rogue
Old 03-26-2009, 09:42 AM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I have sunday off from work, and it is supposed to rain when i wanted to take the car out for a spin, so I guess i'm going to be pulling it into the garage and take the hard pipes out, MAF out and take a closer look at whats going on under the damn intake manifold that covers everything...should just get a LR intake manifold to make all that much easier...who knows...I feel i need to get the Broadfoot racing stage 1 intercooler first, and maybe the cat bypass pipe they make too since the cat is gutted anyway...anyone else have ideas to squeak some more power out of this thing...
Old 03-26-2009, 09:49 AM
JC951
Rennlist Member

i also just noticed that they had installed a wide fire gasket for the cylinder head...does that mean that the head has been worked to flow more cfm
Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin@Endlessdetails
i also just noticed that they had installed a wide fire gasket for the cylinder head...does that mean that the head has been worked to flow more cfm
A widefire headgasket just has some extra metal around the cylinder opening. It might mean that they o-ringed the head but wouldn't have anything to do with more CFM.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:33 AM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh B
A widefire headgasket just has some extra metal around the cylinder opening. It might mean that they o-ringed the head but wouldn't have anything to do with more CFM.

ok...good to know...i really need to start learning more of this stuff and become more mechanically inclined...its my first porsche
Old 03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is a lot of info on this board. Use the search function and you can find a post about almost anything related to a Porsche 944.

If you got a chance to get compression and leak down numbers on your engine that might shed some light on your performance numbers. If you came across a different dyno shop and did another run that might be interesting too.

Those HP numbers that you are already putting down are really good for a stock block and head. Most of the higher numbers with a stock block that you will see on this board are obtained running higher octane fuel like race gas and setting the boost to a long term unsustainable number like 22lbs. A general rule of thumb for these cars is that every lb of boost equals 10hp.

I think I can make out a cage in your car - do you know if it saw a lot of track time - perhaps DEs?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

There is a lot of info on this board. Use the search function and you can find a post about almost anything related to a Porsche 944.

If you got a chance to get compression and leak down numbers on your engine that might shed some light on your performance numbers. If you came across a different dyno shop and did another run that might be interesting too.

Those HP numbers that you are already putting down are really good for a stock block and head. Most of the higher numbers with a stock block that you will see on this board are obtained running higher octane fuel like race gas and setting the boost to a long term unsustainable number like 22lbs. A general rule of thumb for these cars is that every lb of boost equals 10hp.

I think I can make out a cage in your car - do you know if it saw a lot of track time - perhaps DEs?
Follow josh's advice and go search, but do your searching in the 951 forum... you will find a lot more information on turbo stuff over there.

It's a little bit more of a tough crowd over there, but there is a lot to learn
Old 03-26-2009, 02:18 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

let me get my stuff from the car and take some pictures and we shall see...running a tial 38mm wastegate, boost i believe was being measured off the vacuum line from the blow off valve...just give me some time and i will post some stuff up

and here we go with the motor

Air/Fuel

Boost

Torque

And here is the plate on the turbo...inside the red ring you can see it says k26

i am also going through receipts for the motorwork...so any other questions let me know and i will try to find them...not sure bout what is meant with the factor used in the dyno though...i'm new to some stuff.
It wasn't SAE or STD. I made 331rwhp uncorrected on my dyno. After corrections it was 301hp. I believe you have a strong running car just like mine in perfect working order however you aren't making 30more hp at the wheels than I was with 3psi less boost on the same turbo and stock motor. Sorry
Originally Posted by 944obscene
And I am a member of 10+ car forums. lol

If that is in fact a K26 compressor, making those numbers, I'm impressed... Like, woah.
We all know the setup isn't stock. Somethings up. The numbers are too high. I'm willing to bet its just the lack of correction factor used on the dyno. I myself put down 331hp pre correction factor.
Thanks...i cant take the credit for the build though...i bought the car off of a Northern new jersey region pca driving instructor. car was first owned by a shop, motor was blown and second motor had been in storage for 19 years with 1800 miles on it. new motor was completely rebuilt from the ground up.

not sure whether the turbo is new or not, but they did do a 968 6speed tranny...just have to make a bracket for the LR speed sensor kit and wire it up...has an HKS single solenoid boost controller, external oilcooler, and what you see in the picture above...thankfully it also came with those HRE's...I installed a broadfoot racing catback and thats about it i think
Sounds like you have a great running car. My motor was completely rebuilt at the time too and in perfect running order. Hence why our numbers show better than others.
Possibly a #10 as you are a lot slower to build a bar of boost than most k26s. (your dyno shows a bar at about 3500 rpm - most stock k26/6 hit it around 3k if I am not mistaken) Stock would be a #6. Could be an eight too.

Sure do appreciate all the great info. Just for reference I've got light headwork, aftermarket turbo with #8 hotside, 3" exhaust, Vitesse MAF and chips, tial 38mm and 55lb injectors and can't break 300 rwhp at 17lbs of boost - hence the curiosity about your setup.
Its possible he is running a larget hotside. He is getting boost much later than I was and his isn't falling off much at reading. However he wasn't running the boost I was. I could hold 15psi to redline, its just my chart looks different cause it starts at 19psi.
Originally Posted by blown 944
people would not like my response.

Like my mamma always said..........
We both know its just the correction factor.
i'm open to any response...i dont care...i'm still learning about all this mechanic stuff...i dont want to just get in my car and drive and not know whats going on like most people. and now, from what i hear or see for that matter...is a k26 cant support over 300whp which means that i need to keep debunking my motor to figure out what i have...some super gerbal running inside that turbo for all i know...so all comments are welcome
I don't think you have anything special. I think you may be running a larger hotside but, other than that i'm willing to bet you've got a stock motor just brand new and in good working order.

Sounds like you have a wonderful running car and it looks great. I'm not going to poo poo your numbers because everyone and their brother did that to me. I have no problem relenquishing my top spot however you aren't making a legitimate 330rwhp on 16psi with a stock 26 and stock motor. Sorry. I'm willing to bet your 300rwhp with a larger hotside possibly and a fresh engine. It would explain alot.

Go back to your dyno operator and ask what correction factor they used. My numbers looked like this.

331rwhp uncorrected.
311rwhp STD corrected
301rwhp SAE corrected.

Welome to rennlist and welcome to the addiction.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:50 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Still great numbers if the cold side is the same and the hotside is just swapped out...
Old 03-26-2009, 04:28 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

alright, well i just emailed the shop to see what factor numbers they use, so hopefully they will get back to me sooner than later. Thanks for all the info and i will still be taking some parts off to get at that hotside to see just what it is. I think i also remember the previous owner saying something about a k27 impeller inside of the snail if that helps
Old 03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

And yes, the previous owner did some DE's with it. Its a Safety Devices cage with Recaro SRD's and Simpson 6pt harnesses
Old 03-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

If it is really a k27/8 that helps alot. There are probably folks on the board that would say those numbers are possible with that turbo configuration but I still suspect that the dyno number correction factor is off or there is some block/head work. You could easily have a three liter crank in there and that would make it a 2.7 liter I think. Haven't figured out how that works to increase displacement if anyone wants to chime in....

Quick Reply: How much power can a k26 support?