Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield installation complications pix added

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looks like its a convertible windshield- they are taller. I believe the later airbag cars had different windshields as well.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 AM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm sweet, ill pass that info to them as well. there are stickers on the windsheild...wonder if i can find a part #...

to be continued....
Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Curious how the re-set went. Post pictures if you can. I took some pictures of mine, but I haven't uploaded them yet - I started a new job this week and have been concentrating on that. I'll try to get to it tonight but I can't make any promises.

As for the airbag glass - yes, it was different. However, I have been told that all aftermarket glass is made the same way now, so it doesn't matter if you have airbags or not - it is compatible either way. I don't know if that's true with Sekurit. That might account for all the different part numbers, unless the part numbers are cross-referenced to a common part.

I've heard that the 968 windshields are taller, not the convertibles. I really don't know though. When I was parsing threads looking for information, it seemed that the 968 glass is non-existent.

FWIW, those bolts in the blocks are supposed to be turned in only one direction. The bolt isn't even a bolt - it's an eccentric. Once the glass is set, they're not needed. I took off the one on the driver's (left) side so the replacement rain channel/blower cover would fit better. I only left the other one on so I didn't have visible holes.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:57 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

well i got ahold of them, and the guy said that they sent out a pretty experienced guy to just look at it, and he said for sure its the wrong glass, and they already went ahead and ordered me a new one, should be here 2morrow or friday he said....ill def keep it posted!!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Here's a few pictures of mine:

Last edited by CurtP; 02-26-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 02-25-2009, 03:17 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curt, your's looks as good as new.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:16 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

wow your molding is way different than mine!!

ps your interior looks CLEAN
Old 02-26-2009, 09:12 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by ehall
Curt, your's looks as good as new.
Thanks. Like I've been telling others, the glass fits, but it's up to the installer on how well. You can even see the logo of the Chinese glass in one of my pictures. The molding is a little wider, but most people don't even know. I really wanted to go with Sekurit, but right now it's just too cost prohibitive. I wish I had some pictures of how it looked before, but it made me sick every time I looked at it. When I pulled the molding off before the getting the bodywork done, I couldn't believe what I saw - down either side of the glass was a good 20mm (3/4") gap and the glass was pushed all the way against the leading edge of the roof. The adjusting blocks were broken and they had tried to back-fill the gaps along the bottom so there was urethane all over EVERYTHING. I told the body guy that if he wanted to smash the windsheild out to do the bodywork, he was more than welcome.

Luckily, the panel slapper didn't break the glass. The windshield that is in my car now is the glass that came on my car from the PO. The only difference is the installation.

Originally Posted by spoolinturbo
wow your molding is way different than mine!!

ps your interior looks CLEAN
Appreciate the compliment
Can you post a picture of your molding? Mine just slips over the edge of the glass. It was on a big spool, and the glass guy just pulled off what he needed and cut it from the spool.

The interior is coming along nicely. I just finished putting the side kickpanel carpet pieces in the front footwells. Overall I'm happy with how its coming along, but I will have to go back and fix the carpet where it goes down the rocker panels outboard of the seats. I've been waiting for the weather to warm up so I can do some painting in the front fenderwells so I can put the fender liners back in and get the rocker molding reinstalled. I can't wait to start driving it again!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

im bringing this back up so i can find it...but they tried to send a guy out here...same guy from last time...with the same windshield...so i called the boss up and said.

"so you send the same guy, same glass what does that equal? same result."

so i said i want no less than 3 ppl out here, so they can all brainstorm haha. They will be here thursday
Old 03-04-2009, 02:44 AM
Mello
Rennlist Member

I vaguely remember something from a search I did back in 05-06......... here's what I remember..... I couldn't find the actual search.....
Something about..... an extra piece of rubber at the bottom of the windshield that you may need to cut off depending on if it's an airbag/non-airbag car. Not sure, but perhaps non-airbag cars need the rubber cut off. I do remember getting a windshield installed on an airbag car, but they did not cut off any rubber, nor did I notice what rubber would or would-not have been cut or not cut off.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Argh. Windshields. I've been driving around with cracks for two years but now I have the konis set on hard I think the crack has been creeping...
Old 03-05-2009, 09:08 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mello
I vaguely remember something from a search I did back in 05-06......... here's what I remember..... I couldn't find the actual search.....
Something about..... an extra piece of rubber at the bottom of the windshield that you may need to cut off depending on if it's an airbag/non-airbag car. Not sure, but perhaps non-airbag cars need the rubber cut off. I do remember getting a windshield installed on an airbag car, but they did not cut off any rubber, nor did I notice what rubber would or would-not have been cut or not cut off.
No rubber on either one - only urethane all the way around the windshield (at least on both of my cars - '86 non-airbag and '87 w/airbag). All the old urethane should be completely removed anyway.

If you have the rain channel (blower cover) installed, you may want to consider removing it. Good chance that it will be in the way when the windshield is installed and it could easily get damaged/destroyed. The original one on my car was covered with urethane and you could see where the original installer had hacked away at it with a razor/knife.

Wiper arms need to be off too. And here's a little trick for those who have issues getting them off. If you try to wiggle the wiper back and forth on the shaft after you've removed the nut, you'll end up stripping the serrations which lock it to the shaft. What I do is loosen the nut, take the palm of my hand and give it a solid smack right on the hinge area of the wiper arm. Flip the wiper arm up, remove the nut and it should slide right off the shaft. You may have to give it a couple of smacks to knock it loose.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:17 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

and this is what the windshield should look like!!! hahaha.

the tape is on there to keep the windshield from creeping down. but it looks great! the old guy was like "ive been doing this for 20 years, that other guy...has screwed up a few times...maybe he should be supervised haha"

so word for some...dont settle for poor work on your car!

now im a huge step closer to painting this car!! april is when she gets painted flat black.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:23 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That looks nice.

I always like to see glass guys and painters that look like they're ready to retire. They are the ones you usually want doing the work on your stuff.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:36 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been putting off a windshield replacement for 20 years on my 22 year old car. The crack was only about 6 inches for 19 years and turned into 24 inches last year and I have been putting it off because of fear of a bad install. I have finally made an appointment for Saturday morning armed with all the info from this post. Thanks

Quick Reply: windshield installation complications pix added