Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield installation complications pix added

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:53 AM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield installation complications UPDATED 5 march..fixed

Well my windshield was busted when i bought the car. so i ordered an early 85 windsheild because it was cheaper and figured it would be the same size...and no dice, the older one is smaller

ordered the correct windshield for the car and that one was shipped someplace else....

ordered a third one and it does not fit right the forward most bottom lip seems to be protruding up, u can see the windshield lifted some based off the pillars.

during the install, i noticed a "lip" that comes up from the vehicle that seems to be the culprit...but its literally a part of the car....

has anyone had any troubles in this area??? cost me $500 so i think it should fit correctly!!

ill take pix of the gaps 2morrow, but as soon as this gets in there correctly i can paint the car...

Last edited by spoolinturbo; 03-05-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:18 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

what year is your car? what year did the first windshield come from?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:20 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Yes the early windshields are too narrow for the 85.5+ cars. The sealing method is also different between the early-late cars. The early used a roll type sealant tape that is very thin. The later cars use a gasket and gun grade urethane sealant. Sounds like your seal was cut too much or not cut enough making it ride high or low. Windshields are best left to a pro IMO.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 AM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

it was done by a pro safelite auto-glass.

my car is an 85.5 and i ordered the windsheild for my year and model
Old 02-20-2009, 02:24 AM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

the installer was by himself and was about my age (25) so maybe if i bring it back to their shop they can play with it

i had to take off the hood for him to just get the windshield in, because the hood was hitting the windshield whenever i popped it, and i adjusted the hood as far forward as i could...if they cant do anything, im going to have to shave down the bends on the hood
Old 02-20-2009, 02:25 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you have the wrong glass or just a bad installation. Did you order the glass or the shop? I've had glass replaced on an early an late car with no problems.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:26 AM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

the shop ordered the glass and molding for the car. he tried to blame the age of the car, blaming flex and all, but its...crazy...dangit im gonna take pix right now i have a flood light out there hahaha
Old 02-20-2009, 02:36 AM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

sorry for the bad pix, it is at night, and the samsung instinct camera sux
Old 02-20-2009, 10:59 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spoolinturbo
the shop ordered the glass and molding for the car. he tried to blame the age of the car, blaming flex and all, but its...crazy...dangit im gonna take pix right now i have a flood light out there hahaha
What molding are you talking about? The late cars had a rubber seal that pressed into the gap between the body and glass. The early cars had metal trim. What year is your car anyway and does it have metal trim now? Do not remove any metal on the hood, something is wrong with the windshield that has to be corrected.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That window hasn't been installed correctly....no need to shave off the hood.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

**** Poor install. Needs to come out and be re-installed. If the old cracked w/s fit then they can't blame the car for poor fit this time.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:39 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, Safelite was totally unable to get glass for my late car. They would just say all 944's are the same and showed up twice with early glass, which is too small.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:55 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

yea my car is a 85.5 late.
Ya the car has a rubber trim on the outside between the glass and body.

thanx for the info guys, im def going to take this car to their shop soon. I took some daytime pix so anyone else who searches for this problem can see that they weren't the only ones.

ya the earlier 944 glass is about 1/2 as cheap, but its also way too small and does not have the antenna in the windshield.

this one does have the antenna.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:01 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've posted about this before. The Safelite glass WILL fit properly IF the installed knows what he's doing. I just went through this a couple of months ago.

Proper prep is critical. The installer should trial fit the glass a couple of times before setting it in place with the urethane. There are adjustable stops at the base of the windshield that should be adjusted prior to the final fit to get the gap even across the top where it meets the roof. The trim around the windshield will be slightly wider than the factory trim.

The windshield needs to come out and ALL of the old urethane has to be removed. The pinch weld and the edge around the glass need to be primed. The installer should put the new trim on the edge of the glass, then seal the two together with urethane. A new tall bead of urethane is applied to the pinch weld - my installer cut a wedge shape out of the side of the applicator nozzle so the urethane came out as a triangle shape (wide base, narrow at the top of the bead). He used hot-set urethane, not the cold cure - I'd only recommend using the hot-set stuff too (you can drive it within an hour of the glass being set). Once he set the glass, he only made a slight side-to-side adjustment, then got in the car and checked to make sure it sealed all the way around the glass.

The PO had my windshield replaced and they did a horrible job. There were large gaps on either side of the glass that weren't sealed and I had water intrusion whenever it rained. The glass that Safelite showed up with was the same Chinese glass that I already had. With it set correctly, it looks near-perfect. Yes, those who are familiar with the car will recognize that the trim around the glass isn't correct, but at the cost difference, I can live with it.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM
spoolinturbo
Rennlist Member

thats really good info curt. My installer didnt even touch the adj. stops, i even asked the dude..."shouldn't u adjust those" and he says "no they are just guides, we dont touch them" bla whatever.

what he said to me was "ya its not fitting right, and its more than likely the car is tweaked, so im not sure how the warranty will work, but if it leaks, call my cell and ill come over and shoot some rubber in there." hahaha w/e

Quick Reply: windshield installation complications pix added