Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I removed my side moulding stips. And this was under it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 02:49 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So I removed my side moulding stips. And this was under it!

Sorry for the bad pictures, I only have my phone. I removed my side strips partly becuase I thought it would look better, and it does... from a distance. Also becuase I had two that had fallen off a long long time ago, before I evened owned the car, and now there is a thick strip of glue left behind, but it feels like grip tape off a skateboard. You can't tell from a distance, but as soon you get close to the car you can see where the strips "were", I also think the color is darker (obviously from never seeing the sun). I can get the lines out with heavy duty rubbing compound, but then it just leaves a bunch of hazy scratch's were I rubbed. I wanted to update my side strips to the later style 944 ones, but a full set on eBay went for 120! Is there anything I can do to remove the lines and the leftover residue that was left behind? Also, there is a 944 parts car in our local wrecking yard that is gaurds red. Could I take the side strips off them and paint them black? Then put them on and cover up most of it?

This first pictures shows where the stip fell off, a very long time ago.

The rest are where I took them off.

Oh yea, I also did a rear seat belt delete.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 AM
marcusw03
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't really see it well is it a scratch?
Old 12-24-2008, 02:55 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Why would you take out the rear seat belts?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:00 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SeanR
Why would you take out the rear seat belts?
I never use the rear seats anyway, and they were in horrible condition too. It doesn't fell like a scratch, but I can't the the sucker off.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People who sat in the back of my car always complained about those bulky belts. Plus it isn't required that the rear passengers wear them.
Also a couple pounds of weight reduction. Maybe 2 Lbs?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:34 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Taking out the rear seat belts is ingenious. I don't know why I never thought of that! Rear passengers have all the restraint they need: a big seat right in front of their face, and a roof right up against their head. And the belts just take away precious little butt space, and they break and flop over and look ugly. And they clank against fragile cargo you might want to place back there.

I believe 944 moldings will cover up that mess nicely.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:43 AM
Reimu
Drifting

lol exactly, even without the restraint... where are they gonna go? They're packed in back there like sardines.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:26 AM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the way they look without the moulding so I'd recomend cleaning and polishing and getting rid of the old glue and then living with it for awhile before putting on new moulding.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:43 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Yay!! People like my rear seat belt delete idea.

lol.

Yea, it's winter right now anyway, so nobody will see my car (garage queen). I'll try to clean them off, then later on i'll try to find some newer style mouldings. Can I paint side moulding strips?
Old 12-24-2008, 05:05 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Id be careful removing that molding sometimes, there could be dragons.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:34 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I removed the side moldings on my S2 so I could install my car numbers and the glue left behind was a b*&*ch to remove.
I asked a friend who's in the collission repair business and he told me to go to a collission repair supply store and get a rubber wheel ( that you mount on your variable speed drill) and use that to rub it off.
It took about an hour per side but it's perfect.

Last edited by smlporsche; 12-24-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

i used the 3m rubber wheel to take off the residue from the gravel guards. gotta be real careful, i had a little discoloration or burn in the paint from the wheel when i looked real close.

taking out the rear belts is stupid! In fact, it is one of the stupidest things i read about today. Especially if you have occasional rear seat passengers.

if you should get into an accident with someone in the rear, their weight will fly forward against the back of the front seat.

now put your thinking cap on.

what is stoppping them now?

If you said the front seat belt you are right.

now, think again, what is behind the front seat belt?

If you said you as the driver or the passenger, you are right again.

Now think some more, this is the tuff part....

if the seat belt is holding you back, and then you get another force of many thousands of pounds in back of you, and the seat belt still holds you, what do you think is going to break?

if you said your torso, you are right again.

that is the end of physics, pre 101 for today.

i dont care what the law is, if someone is sitting in back of me they are strapped in. if i can tie down something in back of me i tie it down. my life is more important than someone bitching a bit about the butt room. if they dont like it, they can take the bus, it has plenty of room.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:37 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I like my rear belts... they are perfect to keep a case of beer from shifting around

Plus I like Tom's lesson in physics - while people accuse me of being full of hot air, I have no desire to become a human air bag...
Old 12-24-2008, 12:16 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that side bump rail is a bitch. I still have the black marks on mine from the adhesive strip they used. I've used just about everything and it does not come off all that easily.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:30 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
taking out the rear belts is stupid!........
The lap belt will not stop rear passengers' upper bodies from flying forward into the front seat anyway, so either remove it or replace it with a 3-point belt. My 968s have 3-point rear belts so they stay... the 944 has a lap belt and I just don't see how that really helps.

Po924S, yes you can paint molding strips. You can probably have a paint shop do them cheaply since your car is a very common color (black) and they likely will have black paint in their sprayers, or will soon.

Quick Reply: So I removed my side moulding stips. And this was under it!