Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather + Door Handle. EDIT: STUCK WINDOW

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:19 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Cold Weather + Door Handle. EDIT: STUCK WINDOW

= Broken.

I went to open my door and with just a bit more pressure the trigger went all the way back without opening the door .My driver side door handle opened effortlessly before, which is weird as the passenger side has always been a bit stiff but that one didn't break (knock on wood)

It was the biggest PITA for me to change my moms door handles to 968 handles and I swore I would never do it again. I actually didn't even do the driver side yet as she doesn't drive the car because I just can't work in that area. My fingers are way too big and it just sucks. I'd rather doing my timing belt/waterpump then the door handles.

Anyone have any advice on replacing them? Getting the plastic clip on the arm on the door handle has been the biggest problem for me (along with adjusting it properly)

Also, on my moms car, one of the tabs on the door handle broke in the same situation. If that is the case with mine does anyone have a cheap porsche script handle?

Last edited by MM951; 12-22-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 517 Posts

you mean the little plastic clip that goes on the ball end of that one lever?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:58 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I just went through this on my re-assembly. As far as I'm concerned, all of this fishing your way through the hole on the outside of the door and/or popping roll pins simply doesn't work. I know it does for some, and good for you.

I have an 85.5 with the original door on the passenger's side. I can get into that door and access what I need to if I put the plastic piece for the lock on the handle first and drop it through the hole. Just screw the door handle in, and then work from the inside with the inside door panel off and the window up. I use a small pair of vice grips to press the door actuator plastic piece on the ball, and the door lock plastic can be put on by pushing on it with a screwdriver.

The new door on my driver's side is an 86. I believe this is when they started putting crap in there to try to defeat slim jims. Or maybe it's just for power locks, which this door had and I removed. In any case, the factor service manual is dead on (surprise). Pull the window. Yeah...its a PITA, but its not that bad. Then you can unscrew the bottom door track with a bolt on the top and bottom. You don't even need to take the gasket/window guide out. Once that's sitting in the bottom of the door, out of your way, it's cake to do whatever you need to the door handle.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:46 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, what the hell did you do to get such bad car karma???
Old 12-21-2008, 06:32 AM
Ecos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure it's broken and not just iced up? My 944 and other cars I've had will do the same thing in certain weather conditions but once its warmed up it works fine.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:35 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorax
Mike, what the hell did you do to get such bad car karma???
he's related to this goddess:
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 PM
MM951
Race Director

ugh.... my little brother tried opening the pass window today (frozen) and now the window is stuck 1/2 day

I am getting pretty pissed off....can't really blame this one on the car but common sense says WTF would you open a window when its 10* outside and its obviously frozen shut

can I raise the window manually and leave it up for the winter?

v2 have you found my sisters myspace etc yet ?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

i havent looked lol.

i might be coming out your way in a bit so ill just introduce myself in person :P
Old 12-22-2008, 10:21 AM
MM951
Race Director

bump.. anyone know if it is possible to raise the window manually? If so.. how?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:33 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
bump.. anyone know if it is possible to raise the window manually? If so.. how?
You likely have pulled it out of the track. Have you tried to just put it up? If so, what happens? If it doesn't work, you'll need to pull the inside door panel off and see what's up. It probably isn't that bad, and the problem will likely be obvious.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:42 AM
MM951
Race Director

When I try and raise the window with the button, it doesn't move or make a noise. When I try pulling it up by hand it doesn't move, but if I pull harder it moves a little bit and then springs back. Best way to describe it is stuck.

It is f'ing cold, I need to motivate myself to get out there.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:18 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
When I try and raise the window with the button, it doesn't move or make a noise. When I try pulling it up by hand it doesn't move, but if I pull harder it moves a little bit and then springs back. Best way to describe it is stuck.

It is f'ing cold, I need to motivate myself to get out there.
If it doesn't even make a noise you have an electrical problem as well. You should hear something, even if it's stuck (if you run it up and down). Yeah...time to take the door skin off. It's not going to be fun if you need to disconnect the motor to raise the window, and then re-attach it to hold it there, but it can be done.

It's a crappy job where you're reaching into the door and working blind a lot of the time, so it would be difficult to even take pictures of it.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather + Door Handle. EDIT: STUCK WINDOW