Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make an NA faster

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:20 PM
MrTom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only come on this forum once in a blue moon, but due to my car being back, I will be around more often. But I come from a cheap-***, tight-wad, DIY forum. Turbobricks.com. Its a volvo forum. I can't tell you how much I have learned there. One thing is anything can be done. I see this NA+T come up a lot here with negative answers. Second time I will shoot this "rant" out.

Pistons can be weak, rods can be small. Doesn't matter. An eBay T3, IC kit, some oil plumbing, and cheap standalone will get one fast 944 "NA". Some people run scared from stand alone but after spending some time on Tbricks I came to realize it is not scary but infact awesome.

What I am getting at is it isn't the room under the hood, the internals, or the lack(AND EXPENSE) of 951 parts. It's in the tuning. Christ you could take a 2jzGE and slap a turbo on factory ECU and watch it spit rod pieces out of the block. Too much CR? Back timing off. Don't run stupid boost levels. e85 is shaweet for boost but I have seen 85 GTI's run 15psi on 87 while running MS. It's all in the tune. Don't say "It can't be done"! It can, for fairly cheap too! I see so many guys tell wondering "noobs" that you are better off buying a 951 than turboing their 944. God. Makes me sick.

Correct me if I am wrong here please.

eBay t3(the good ones)-200
eBay IC and piping kit-230(make it cheaper if you get any old IC from a JY)
Oil feed and return-bah what?35 bucks?
Log manifold kit-200(could also be cut down by welding a T3 flange to the end of your header. Remote mount FTW!!)
BOV-40 bucks for a DSM one.(also could be cheaper if shopping)
DP-100 bucks?
Megasquirt-150
JAW wideband-70

So what are we at? 1025 bucks? I could do better than that. I did this pricing so anyone could get these prices any time of day. Do some shopping and cut it down some more. Quit saying "It cannot be done" and give the appropriate response of "I personally do not have the know-ho to do it, but have at it".

I am really thinking I should throw together a +t kit for myself and after putting some miles down, put a kit together for cheap for you guys.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:25 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm just kidding! The mercedes turbodiesel engine from the first 1979 on to like 1985 were equipped with a diaphragm on the mechanical fuel injection pump. The diaphragm is referred to as an ALDA and it is connected to the intake and an overboost protection valve. It "tells" the injection pump how much fuel to pump to the injectors. There is a set screw on the top of it, which is set by the factory at a very conservative setting, and covered with a cap. You can either adjust the screw to increase fuel delivery, or you can remove the ALDA and install a shim under it - same effect.

I don't know about your Audi, I've always been a Mercedes guy. But if the fuel delivery is by MFI pump, and if it's a turbo, there should be a way to turn a screw to increase the fuel rate. This will of course lower the fuel economy from great to normal.

Mr. Tom if you make a kit and show me it works well on your own car I will buy one!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:44 PM
MrTom
Instructor

Diesels are out of my league though. Might buy a duramax this spring but even that frightens me. lol. Live and learn.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:56 PM
fliphkd7
Intermediate

"eBay t3(the good ones)-200"
I purchased one of these a while back for a different project, and I can honestly say they're utter junk. I wouldn't trust one to take me farther than the next neighborhood. Instead, I would recommend one out of a ford Thunderbird turbo-coupe. They seem to be a size that can be modified to work with a *wide* spectrum of displacements. A junkyard one should be pretty cheap and ubiquitous.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:12 PM
MrTom
Instructor

All depends which one you get. I know of one T6 volvo running 15psi+ on a t70. and may a 4cyl volvos running 15+psi on them. When you come from the land of cheap skates, you learn these things. But yes many of the eBay turbos suck. Some are glued together.

So yes, in general they suck, but not all. Your suggestion to use the Tbird turbo, or any other JY turbo is a far better suggestion. I was only trying to list something somebody can get any time.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:55 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I wasn't suggesting a turbo kit for a diesel - just answering the question on "chipping" an MFI turbodiesel. They're not too different from gas engines, most of the principles are the same. They like high compression - my '82 has a CR of 21:1.

I bought a k26/6 from an audi 4000 for $35 from a pick n pull, it would have probably been great for a project like a turbo conversion. That's why I bought it but I had too much on my plate and just sold it on ebay.

People say you can't turbo an NA but Callaway did, people with 968 turbos did, and obviously people like blown944 did. What the naysayers really mean to say is that it isn't worth it for the person that isn't a mechanically adept enthusiast with lots of time. I'm building a 968 turbo so I'm no naysayer... but I don't want to spend my time on the 944 developing the kit from scratch but I'd love to buy a $1500 kit and bolt it on. I'd love to buy a SC kit but they're just ridiculously priced.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:15 PM
MrTom
Instructor

I bought my blower(M62) for the 944 but decided not to get into it right away lol. The turbo thing kills me. I have a JGS log mani kit sitting on my shelf along with a turbo, some BOVs, and an array of IC tubing.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:16 AM
medevack
Instructor

OK so some people dont like Ebay turbos!!! well here is a little story and a fact.... i had a honda civic with a put together turbo kit it was pretty much ebay put together i got a $150.00 turbo from ebay, a $45.00 used manifold, got a dodge SRT-4 used Inter Cooler, free BOV (dsm), homemade IC pipes, ods and ends etc etc, the car put down 298whp and 254trq @ 17psi and that was done on a SINGLE OVERHEAD CAM 1.6 vtec, after racing the car beatting the crap out of it i kept the car for a total of 3 yrs and replaced the turbo twice one the turbo sucked a rock and messed it up and the second the seals went on it after almost 2 yrs IMO as long as it was well tuned and well lubricated the turbo lasted and the only thing that went bad on the second turbo was the seals and you can rebuild the turbos with a GOOD garrett seal kit for CHEAP... but the Fact here is you can get a Turbonetics turbo T3-T4 new for $900.00 and would last you 3-4 yrs or you can get (6) $150.00 ebay turbos over the next 5-6 yrs and spend the same amount of $$$, like MR TOM said shop around gather things little by little is all about creativity...i already started collecting parts for mine. good luck to all!!!!!

check this out!!!!!
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...ctive%26sa%3DN
Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Myself, I read HMT, Mitsu,and turbo bricks to learn a few more junkyard ideas. I actually just did a twin scroll setup b/c of Mitsu forums, and eventually I will do a quick spool bypass from info gathered there too.

As far as turbos go, if you are not familiar with them it is best to seek the advice of those that do or buy new reputable brands IMO.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as a kit goes it would ned to be as simple to install as possible and for that to happen requires some chip tuning and a cheap MAF conversion.

I think it is on the horizon but right now the best way to go about it is to convert to E85 _first_ to take advantage of the anti knock properties it offers, w/o spending a ton of $$. I have found this to be the easiest and safest way to add pressure to a high compression engine.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:18 PM
medevack
Instructor

IMO even if you are only boosting at 5psi you should be good for 200hp +/- and thats a big jump from stock, thats just by slapping the turbo kit on the car and with just an aftermarket FPR....
Old 12-15-2008, 12:21 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what I know, main things in building a turbo setup is
good turbo manifold
fuel management system
get your oil routing good
dependable boost controller

the one thing that i'm not familiar with is that most turbo setup's i've seen have the turbo on the exhaust side of the engine with a very short run from exhaust port to turbine. this whole crossover pipe is wierd to me. if only porsche designed the engine so it tilted the other way in the engine bay hehe.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:22 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by medevack
IMO even if you are only boosting at 5psi you should be good for 200hp +/- and thats a big jump from stock, thats just by slapping the turbo kit on the car and with just an aftermarket FPR....
yea 5psi would be able to do that....but that's seriously alot of work and money hehe.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by medevack
although the designs differ alot, the basic speedforce racing supercharger kit gives you a centrifugal supercharger (essentially one half of a turbo) at 6psi which gives you up to (when properly managed by the parts in their kit) ~180whp which is about 210 at the crank.
Originally Posted by krystar
from what I know, main things in building a turbo setup is
good turbo manifold
fuel management system
get your oil routing good
dependable boost controller

the one thing that i'm not familiar with is that most turbo setup's i've seen have the turbo on the exhaust side of the engine with a very short run from exhaust port to turbine. this whole crossover pipe is wierd to me. if only porsche designed the engine so it tilted the other way in the engine bay hehe.
it would be ideal for the turbo to be on the exhaust side because that would allow the turbo to spool up faster (more heat energy), but the problem with that would be keeping the turbo cool. an overly hot turbo will melt bearings and wear out very quickly, as was the case on the 924 turbos.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Go ahead and sell your N/A trans while it is still in one piece and upgrade to a 951 or S2 trans.

Quick Reply: How to make an NA faster