Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Experts: Teach me all I need to know about the original Glasurit Alpine White

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:27 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Paint Experts: Teach me all I need to know about the original Glasurit Alpine White

I want to have an educated thread purely discussing what needs to be known about the original Glasurit single stage paint used on 944's, particularly Alpine White.

I have had some people try to tell me you can't get a single stage Glasurit anymore. Or there is the usual talk about how other products are just as good. Or you can't get Glasurit in a particular location. I have also heard you can't blend single stage and it will look bad after a couple of years if you do.

I want to know paint codes, glasurit codes if needed, what was the process used originally at Porsche(some say it was baked), price, what to look for from who is applying it etc. etc. etc. Anything and everything.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:04 PM
968PORSCHE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't answer your question, but I have heard that it is tricky to apply Glasurit and some shops don't like to use it. This is probably the reason they are stonewalling you.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:18 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to talk with burmashave.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
You need to talk with burmashave.
He already has. He knows the answers to most of his questions, apparently he just doesn't like them.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:06 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
He already has. He knows the answers to most of his questions, apparently he just doesn't like them.
??? I don't understand the rude response?? I was actually hoping you were going to chime in with some of the answers. When we talked well over a year or two ago I was very happy with your advice but I want to stick with Glasurit and you just said you were unable to get it in your area, there are no hard feelings therefore I don't understand your response.....
Old 12-12-2008, 03:59 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
I have also heard you can't blend single stage and it will look bad after a couple of years if you do.
I painted my car base/clear partially for that reason. I've blended base/clear before with good results. I think it takes a real seasoned pro to blend single stage. And even if it looks good to start with, if the paint ages/types are very different, I would think that they would fade differently over time, showing the repair area again.

But I'm no expert. Obviously.....you've seen the thread to prove that
Old 12-12-2008, 06:34 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you know you could go PPG or Dupont in the exact same color single stage eurethane and it would match perfect. Going w/ Glasurit would just be a different name brand and would not be the same paint they sprayed back in the day anyway. Any body shop doing the work would or should have the means to scan your paint, paint it w/ any brand to match, and bake it in their paint booth. You could also paint it in a dark alley way and let it dry a few weeks for the same result.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
??? I don't understand the rude response?? I was actually hoping you were going to chime in with some of the answers. When we talked well over a year or two ago I was very happy with your advice but I want to stick with Glasurit and you just said you were unable to get it in your area, there are no hard feelings therefore I don't understand your response.....
Iirc, last time we spoke you said you were going to bring it in for repairs. I didn't actually expect you to, its a long trip. I didn't even mind taking time out of my workday to help you out...but here you are again. My point is you can keep asking the same questions- the answers I gave you were correct then and will continue to be. In fact Dan answered them all again here in this thread, same stuff. 20 year old paint and the way to repair it does not change. Truthfully, shop owners are justified in telling some people whatever it takes to get them to go elsewhere. I will make a prediction : no one will answer your questions to your satisfaction so you will probably end up repairing your car and be happy with a less than perfect repair because you did it yourself. TomR comes to mind as well. 20 year old cars cannot stay original...once we accept this we can enjoy them for what they are. Sorry all for the rant.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:04 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

There are so many good US companies that can provide a perfect Alpine White I can't see why Glasurit has to be used. I had to match a very rare BMW color (Lazur Blau Metallic) and DuPont Chromabase had a perfect base/clear combo. If they can match that a single-stage Alpine White should be a snap.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:17 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Iirc, last time we spoke you said you were going to bring it in for repairs. I didn't actually expect you to, its a long trip. I didn't even mind taking time out of my workday to help you out...but here you are again. My point is you can keep asking the same questions- the answers I gave you were correct then and will continue to be. In fact Dan answered them all again here in this thread, same stuff. 20 year old paint and the way to repair it does not change. Truthfully, shop owners are justified in telling some people whatever it takes to get them to go elsewhere. I will make a prediction : no one will answer your questions to your satisfaction so you will probably end up repairing your car and be happy with a less than perfect repair because you did it yourself. TomR comes to mind as well. 20 year old cars cannot stay original...once we accept this we can enjoy them for what they are. Sorry all for the rant.
Yes I had planned to come to you for repairs, but I simply decided I wanted to hold out for someone that worked with Glasurit products. If you were able to get them then I would have been down there in a heart beat. For you to start ranting about nothing makes absolutely no sense at all to me. I was simply asking for some expertise on anyone's experience from working with shops that used it, considering I have a much bigger repair project now. I don't see why you have an issue with myself and TomR for example just because we are particular about our cars.

I have always appreciated your advice to everyone and myself about body work, and have directed other members your way. But now that I see you have such a problem with nothing just makes me glad I didn't come to you.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:26 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

many shops dont use glasurit because its so expensive- must be imported or something. I think there is really no point to use this product besides to say that its glasurit. The finish comes from the person putting it down not necessarily the product...
Old 12-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

hey i resemble that remark!!

I know what i want. I could have fixed my S2 but decided the cost of bringing the paint in my S2 to the standard i wanted it, then add a LSD would be more than starting with something else. I took a beating because the clutch was brand new in the S2 and it didnt have to be replaced but... I know it is less $ to get a pristine original car than a restored car, and the original will always be worth more than the restored car.
I had the M030 stuff in my S2, the roll bar and the recaros. i decided i would get either a 968 with LSD and swap the suspension, or a 951S.
I looked for four months for a 20 year old virgin. I found one, bought it and having driven it less than 150 miles since i got it, the kamikaze civic got me.

What pisses me off is not that it is getting repaired, but that there is a mark on the carfax. there is a record of frame damage. about as little as can be damaged and still be called frame damage, but freme damage none the less.

The premium i paid for a virgin car disappeared. that is a few grand tossed in the toilet. if i was going to knock a few grand of value off the car i would have liked to have done it myself.

Remember, I restored my 68 firebird convertible a few decades ago. i know what a competent body guy can do. i want more than competent. The quality i expect costs more than i can afford, so i gry to go factory preserved.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:11 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Man, I better not let it be known that I don't have a factory windshield in my car!

I'm not even sure what the painter used on my car - I think BASF. As long as it looks good and lasts, I don't really care. If I was going to be **** about it, I'd specify Sikkens. I don't see a good reason to go with Glasurit - a respray is a respray. For a company that's been around for 120 years and been owned by BASF for the last 43 years, they don't have many milestones. Maybe I'll just tell everyone that my car is painted with Glasurit's parent company paint

Well, I guess this is better discussion than floor mat protectors
Old 12-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
Man, I better not let it be known that I don't have a factory windshield in my car!

I'm not even sure what the painter used on my car - I think BASF. As long as it looks good and lasts, I don't really care. If I was going to be **** about it, I'd specify Sikkens. I don't see a good reason to go with Glasurit - a respray is a respray. For a company that's been around for 120 years and been owned by BASF for the last 43 years, they don't have many milestones. Maybe I'll just tell everyone that my car is painted with Glasurit's parent company paint

Well, I guess this is better discussion than floor mat protectors
Without the factory windshield you may as well just dump a chevy lump in there. Once the car is a bastard, may as well go all the way.

The definition of "looks good" is very subjective. Is it ****? i want my toy to look a certain way. You may be **** about your car, and your car may look good to you, but look like butt to me.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:15 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
Oh the shame, how do you even see out of that mongrel US glass?

Quick Reply: Paint Experts: Teach me all I need to know about the original Glasurit Alpine White