Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof won't lock on its own

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:44 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof won't lock on its own

I read up on Clarks, but I'm lost as to which switch is which and it didn't appear to address my issue.

1990 S2. The roof will lift on the arms and the arms will retract to remove the roof panel, but it won't lock into place automatically like my 86 would. I need to press the switch a little to get the arms to latch and stop before the roof lifts. My older car (before it broke) required some combination of key position 1 or two, but it'd latch into place just fine. What should I check on this car?
Old 11-09-2008, 02:08 PM
jstand22
Pro

Key position 1 is for locking and unlocking the roof - key position 2 tilts it up and down.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:58 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure which switch you're referring to, but I think your talking about both the switch you push to open/close the roof, and what you found in Clark's is talking about the one in the middle/front of the sun roof, because it sounds like it doesn't know the sun roof is in. There are lots more places to go with this, but that's the easiest and most obvious and easiest to check.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:12 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Yes, I was referring to the switch on the console that opens and closes the roof. When I was driving with the roof of yesterday, I could push that middle switch (between the visors) and noted that it made a click as clark's described it should. I didn't get a chance to play with it today, but I'll have to try pressing that to make it think the roof is in and see if the arms lock like they are supposed to.

I'll come back with an update either way.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:35 PM
rmconner80
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 87S does the same thing. I've followed the directions regarding key position, still no good.

So I basically have to look back and watch the two arms and stop pressing the "open" side of the button right when they contact. That locks it.

But it doesn't "find" this position on it's own no matter what. Maybe you can fix it (I to read Clark's and couldn't find any diagnosis of this exact problem) but I just use the work around instead.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:21 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rmconner80
My 87S does the same thing. I've followed the directions regarding key position, still no good.

So I basically have to look back and watch the two arms and stop pressing the "open" side of the button right when they contact. That locks it.

But it doesn't "find" this position on it's own no matter what. Maybe you can fix it (I to read Clark's and couldn't find any diagnosis of this exact problem) but I just use the work around instead.
I am having a problem with the adjustment of mine (it doesn't pull down far enough) and temporarily disabled the switches in the back that sense where to stop (I didn't have enough adjustment in them to make it work). Maybe you need to look at those switches and see if they are working/not plugged in/etc. I probably can't be much help, because I think you would have the round looking sunroof motor/gears back there and mine is the old style slider thing.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:34 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve -- did you ever solve this problem? I have the exact same problem. Sunroof worked fine when I removed it. When I put it back in, I have your exact symptoms. It's very annoying!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:17 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

prob. the micro switch between the sun visors. If it doesnt read contact when the roof is fully down, the motor keeps running and unlocks the roof
Old 05-09-2010, 11:09 PM
PPP944
Intermediate

same problem on my '88.

on speeds above 60mph the sunroof will flap open and whistle. really annoying on the highway and couldn't figure out how to fix it.

i'll try this advice and see if it works.

Quick Reply: Sunroof won't lock on its own