Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:23 PM
early85944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember the 944 motor was mounted at an angle to fit. Not sure if the nissan motor would be too tall. You might have to make a custom engine mount and modify the hood etc. If you do do it you moight be better of just using the whole 240sx running gear.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:40 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Not sure this is correct. Pretty sure that refers to the Silvia with the 1.8L.
sil80 is actually a silvia front end on the 180sx chassis. silvia in front, 180sx in rear.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:25 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson21
i purschased two 944's recently.. both n/a..the one has a completly blown engine and i dont have the money anytime soon to repair rebuild ect. My friend said he would give me a sr20det engine would the sr20det swap work in the 944? i want a turbo but dont have the money to buy one and this would be for free ..

I think you should do it. WIth no money to spend, this sounds like a notewothy project. Bonus points if you chronicle every bit of the swap on here, including all of the homegrown Lowes/HomeDepot parts you use, and then post back regularly on how reliable the car is post-swap.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:51 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

sell the better one to finance this project.

is the sr20 the blacktop or red top?
Old 10-31-2008, 04:47 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krystar
sil80 is actually a silvia front end on the 180sx chassis. silvia in front, 180sx in rear.

that is oh so true, but my friend has a 240 chassis lol he couldnt find the 180 so instead he made one
Old 11-05-2008, 06:18 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I think you should do it. WIth no money to spend, this sounds like a notewothy project. Bonus points if you chronicle every bit of the swap on here, including all of the homegrown Lowes/HomeDepot parts you use, and then post back regularly on how reliable the car is post-swap.
I think you could fab up some nice engine mounts from landscaping timbers.

Use some plumbers epoxy putty to adapt the clutch splines.

Home plumbing fittings to adapt fuel and water. Make sure to use the push on kind, hose clamps are for wimps.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:37 PM
jackson21
AutoX

Thanks for all the feed back but i decided to keep the porsche a porsche..I have one last boring winter in central ny to work on them ..
Old 11-07-2008, 01:00 PM
LeMans71
Instructor

Originally Posted by jackson21
Thanks for all the feed back but i decided to keep the porsche a porsche..I have one last boring winter in central ny to work on them ..
Good call. Heck, by the sound of it you have a good car and a parts car, and that's an ideal situation. Have fun and learn lots making one really nice NA, sell off the extra parts when you're done, and use the profits to start your 951 fund. You'll come out way ahead, IMO.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:17 AM
bsbiker
Advanced

These cars are not like your normal project cars, to do a engine swap with a non stock engine is a huge deal on these cars and unless you are a master machinest, get a used 2.5. Many {me} have had these thoughts and decided no way!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Alienguy121988
4th Gear

Alot of negativity around here... lolz.

I found this thread because I was having the same idea... I'd encourage it. anything is possible with a 5 pound sledge and an acetylene torch hehe.

I've opted for the 13B though, just because of potential horsepower output and non-existant redline. I'm planning on using the RX-7 transmission also, mated to a custom driveshaft and a ford 9 inch for an axle. perfect weight balance? GONE! Time to build a drift car... first step is to measure everything.....

If you've done this or have any ideas I'd be happy to hear from you
Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

I'll just chime in here. I'm as crazy as you are at the moment. I'm dumping a turbo engine into an 87' S. In terms of making it work, the only challenges are wiring (it will be easier for you because the 8 valve cars have the same wiring basically), you'll need a turbo tranny, and some various bits that the turbo cars had.

Go for it, these cars all basically had the same skeleton. I chose to keep mine because the rest of the car is pristine, with a trashed motor.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:20 PM
kombatrok
Pro

Sounds like a lot of work for a car that will never drive quite right...

but the 9" for is wayyy overkill, there are much better choices for a rear end for what you want
Old 01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alienguy121988
Alot of negativity around here... lolz.

I found this thread because I was having the same idea... I'd encourage it. anything is possible with a 5 pound sledge and an acetylene torch hehe.

I've opted for the 13B though, just because of potential horsepower output and non-existant torque. I'm planning on using the RX-7 transmission also, mated to a custom driveshaft and a ford 9 inch for an axle. perfect weight balance? GONE! Time to build a drift car... first step is to measure everything.....

If you've done this or have any ideas I'd be happy to hear from you
Fixed one little error in your post...

It's the same problem with all the engine swaps: the "transmission tunnel" area is too small to fit a transmission in, and it's a structural area. If you cut or pound on it more than a little, you've essentially ruined the car (as in, made its structure into a soggy wet noodle like a 240sx).

The problem is in the execution. I've seen transmission conversions on these cars and they are ugly--the transmission has to hang down, the diff has to hang WAY down, the shifter is in a horrible place... If you really want to deal with a rotory engine, just by an RX7. They're a dime a dozen. You might even find a running one!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure to post a build thread, I want to see the sledgehammer and torch part.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:34 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Alienguy121988

Alot of negativity around here... lolz..... I found this thread because I was having the same idea... anything is possible with a 5 pound sledge and an acetylene torch hehe..... I've opted for the 13B though, just because of potential horsepower output and non-existant redline. I'm planning on using the RX-7 transmission also, mated to a custom driveshaft and a ford 9 inch for an axle. perfect weight balance? GONE! Time to build a drift car... first step is to measure everything....

Originally Posted by doabarrelroll
I'll just chime in here. I'm as crazy as you..... I'm dumping a turbo engine into an 87' S. In terms of making it work, the only challenges are wiring.... you'll need a turbo tranny, and some various bits that the turbo cars had...... Go for it, these cars all basically had the same skeleton. I chose to keep mine because the rest of the car is pristine, with a trashed motor.

"a man stares into the abyss, and there’s nothing staring back at him. that’s when man finds his character. and that’s what keeps him out of the abyss....”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jevG...D4C1F6&index=3

Originally Posted by patrat
I think you could fab up some nice engine mounts from landscaping timbers..... Use some plumbers epoxy putty to adapt the clutch splines.... Home plumbing fittings to adapt fuel and water. Make sure to use the push on kind, hose clamps are for wimps.

Originally Posted by kombatrok

there are much better choices for a rear end for what you want

thanks for the thread save.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCPwREA77NI

Last edited by odurandina; 01-26-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 944 engine swap