Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by doabarrelroll

I'm as crazy as you are at the moment. I'm dumping a turbo engine into an 87' S. In terms of making it work, the only challenges are wiring (it will be easier for you because the 8 valve cars have the same wiring basically), you'll need a turbo tranny, and some various bits that the turbo cars had.

Go for it, these cars all basically had the same skeleton. I chose to keep mine because the rest of the car is pristine, with a trashed motor.

it's great that you wish to get involved with car builds....

take the time to learn from others who've come before you as there is so much that can be learned.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...s-im-back.html

Originally Posted by carlege
you have had alot of cars. Of the 951's, which was your favorite?

Originally Posted by ian
Instead of responding directly to that question, I am going to quote myself from a very old post:

"Why abandon the 944 line after all this time? Because the lesson I learned in all the trials and tribulations of porsche ownership is: It is all about the driving, having a slower reliable porsche was more fun than a fast one that is only fast on paper because it spends its entire life on jackstands."
Old 01-26-2011, 01:58 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by odurandina

best thing you've EVER posted.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:17 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I have fallen head over heels for these cars. Good thing and bad thing, lol.

I'm very passionate about building it the way I want, so, go figure. I've got a lot more disposable income now as well. Frankly, I was considering buying a new car and I just don't really like ANYTHING that is being produced right now.

The only new car I would even consider buying is a 370Z, but, even then it is too damn heavy! No fat chicks!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Alienguy121988
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"It's the same problem with all the engine swaps: the "transmission tunnel" area is too small to fit a transmission in, and it's a structural area."

what if i essentially cut out the center console, re-weld, and brace it? meh. you're probably right about just bying a 7
Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i'm at the 24 hours practice right now. the LS engines sound, throaty. one of the Camaro drivers in the GS class is this hottest chick from Toronto. Ashley something. she's an only child and Dad got her into racing. hung out in the garage with the racing team and picked up a couple of pointers about the LS engines....

unfortunately she's married. but, racing an LS motor at Daytona !

Quick Reply: 944 engine swap