Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Torque Talk

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:59 AM
TroppoShark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Torque Talk

I just posted this on 924 Board, and thought I'd share it here, too...

How many drivers out there have a steering wheel/shaft that clatters a bit as you drive over bumps and expansion strips etc?

Well, I've been aware of this on both of the 931's I've owned. I presumed that this was 'how it is'.

However, on my current car, my latest project was to replace the PO's aftermarket, smaller steering wheel with a good second hand original three-spoke wheel, partly because of the cheap look of the PO's, and partly because the smaller wheel made it difficult turning in parking lots, etc.

After replacing the steering wheel, I looked up the recommended torque for the nut in Haynes: for the 931 it is, from memory, 33 foot/lbs + or - 7, so I tightened it up to 33.

To my pleasant surprise, when I drove it I noticed far less of the bump clatter: it probably hadn't been torqued properly, but just tightened. So, on the presumption that the '+7' foot/lbs would be applicable for the wear on a quarter century old car, I torqued the steering wheel nut up some more, to about 38.

Hey, the clatter is largely gone... I guess the wear has been taken up. And mine had been so bad that I thought there must be a bush missing or something...

I recommend everyone go out and check the torque of the steering wheel nut, and re-tighten towards the upper limit, and not suffer so much noisy steering over bumps...

Added bonuses from getting rid of the suss wheel are that I've cured my horn of its occasional willful ways, and I can see all the instruments again.

Cheers,

Phill.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:26 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They always told me the problem with my car was the nut behind the wheel, now I know it's true.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:04 AM
TroppoShark
Racer

Hey Ryan,

In my case it was doubly true, mate, but I've eliminated the problem of one of the nuts...

Phill.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:25 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info, I'm willing to bet the tolerance on the factory wheel splines are better as well.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

Man!

I deff get noises from my steering slowly over bumps/road

I am in the process of removing the gauges/speedometer apart now, and I was thinking to even change the steerling wheel itself. (Any recommendations would be appreciated.)

Would it be best to just change the steerling nut itself? I have a 944, I think its a 24mm or 15/16" nut

Last edited by Perculator00; 10-18-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

i discovered the other day that the actual grooves inside the wheel hub were wearing out so there was some play in the wheel before the shaft even started turning!

luckily i had a spare wheel on hand which had a destroyed rim but a good hub so swapped hubs and now all is well
Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Perculator00
Instructor

the wheels should be completely straight when removing the steering wheel correct? just wanna double make sure that the steering wheel should not be turned into the lock position, or turned at all for that sake
Old 10-21-2009, 02:48 AM
AKCJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Perculator00
the wheels should be completely straight when removing the steering wheel correct? just wanna double make sure that the steering wheel should not be turned into the lock position, or turned at all for that sake
You don't "have" to have the the wheels completely straight to remove the steering wheel but it does help when putting it back on.

If you take it off with the wheels turned at a (random) angle it's very hard to know what position to install the wheel.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:53 AM
AKCJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by TroppoShark
I just posted this on 924 Board, and thought I'd share it here, too...

How many drivers out there have a steering wheel/shaft that clatters a bit as you drive over bumps and expansion strips etc?

Well, I've been aware of this on both of the 931's I've owned. I presumed that this was 'how it is'.

However, on my current car, my latest project was to replace the PO's aftermarket, smaller steering wheel with a good second hand original three-spoke wheel, partly because of the cheap look of the PO's, and partly because the smaller wheel made it difficult turning in parking lots, etc.

After replacing the steering wheel, I looked up the recommended torque for the nut in Haynes: for the 931 it is, from memory, 33 foot/lbs + or - 7, so I tightened it up to 33.

To my pleasant surprise, when I drove it I noticed far less of the bump clatter: it probably hadn't been torqued properly, but just tightened. So, on the presumption that the '+7' foot/lbs would be applicable for the wear on a quarter century old car, I torqued the steering wheel nut up some more, to about 38.

Hey, the clatter is largely gone... I guess the wear has been taken up. And mine had been so bad that I thought there must be a bush missing or something...

I recommend everyone go out and check the torque of the steering wheel nut, and re-tighten towards the upper limit, and not suffer so much noisy steering over bumps...

Added bonuses from getting rid of the suss wheel are that I've cured my horn of its occasional willful ways, and I can see all the instruments again.

Cheers,

Phill.
Thanks for the tip.

I had the clanking over bumps problem but eventually discovered that it was due to the clamp bolt at the bottom end of the steering shaft being loose. Where it goes on to the steering rack. Tightening that bolt made a world of difference.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:29 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you can always mark the wheel/shaft w/ a marker or paint before removing the wheel.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Torque Talk