Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 to a Miata?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:07 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is wrong with your current 944?

944s should be pretty reliable if they don't have extremely high milliage, clutch has been replaced, belts / water pump history is known.

After I replace my clutch and torque tube in my 944 I'm hoping it wil be reliable for a long time.

any porsche just has a coolness factor for me that makes me want to spend time to fix it. If this car was a mazda or a vw and gave me all this trouble I would have junked it a long time ago.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:24 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth....a little humor helps.

There is simply no comparison between a PORSCHE 951 and a MAZDA. period.

The Mazda Miata, along the similiar strategy Harley Davidson took with the Sportster, was made specifically for the female buyer. In an effort to bolster sluggish sales with young females (test group 18-25 y.o.) the R/D department at Mazda was given the task of building an automobile specifically (at least at the time) to target these young female consumers. Many of the cosmetic and interior refinements are a direct result of input from this test group....basically laid out and structured (think smaller driver) for a female....or a male that thinks he is a female ( just kidding...well...).

I just could not own a car that was designed for women...just couldn't do it.

Buy a 951, you will not regret it...I had one in the early 90's for 3 years (biggest mistake selling it) and have been back in one for the last 2.5 years. You just have to take a bit of time and find one well sorted. I could not be happier...and a dress is not required to drive it
Old 10-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wasn't the 944 also targetted at the younger buyers that just wanted to buy into the porsche namebrand?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:41 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
The Mazda Miata, along the similiar strategy Harley Davidson took with the Sportster, was made specifically for the female buyer.
Wow, I didn't think your typical female buyer would care about things like fully-adjustable, 4-wheel double wishbonse suspension, 50:50 weight distribution, RWD, an emphasis on light weight (including an aluminum hood) and manual transmissions with such short gear ratios that you're rev'ing the hell out of your car just to go 80 mph. I guess you learn something new every day!

BB.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:47 AM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
Wow, I didn't think your typical female buyer would care about things like fully-adjustable, 4-wheel double wishbonse suspension, 50:50 weight distribution, RWD, an emphasis on light weight (including an aluminum hood) and manual transmissions with such short gear ratios that you're rev'ing the hell out of your car just to go 80 mph. I guess you learn something new every day!

BB.
The typical female buyer probably does not care about the performance items. That is why my post read:

"Many of the cosmetic and interior refinements are a direct result of input from this test group....basically laid out and structured (think smaller driver) for a female...."

Just saying...
Old 10-14-2008, 09:11 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry, that message got lost in the noise of:

Originally Posted by CPR
The Mazda Miata, along the similiar strategy Harley Davidson took with the Sportster, was made specifically for the female buyer.
and...

Originally Posted by CPR
I just could not own a car that was designed for women...
...which basically states that the entire car was designed for women, not just many of the cosmetic and interior components.

Just sayin'...

By the way, I'm not looking to pick a fight or anything. I'm just feelin' fiesty this morning.

BB.

Last edited by BeerBurner; 10-14-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
Dude the Sportster started off as the K model back in the 50's. Which was a lightweight sport model to compete with the British bikes of the time (and Indian Scouts). That's when Harley got it's Hog name from since they were big, heavy, and slow and called "road hogs" by the British bike riders. For a while back then a Sportster was one of the hot bikes to have. So Harley create the K model (later called Sportster) to compete with other bikes of the time not to attract female riders back in the 50's.

Now the Miata I think was created to attract women drivers. Even Ford says the first mustangs back in 64 was targeted towards secretary's and such.

Personally I say just get the car that you love to drive so much it makes you take the long way every time you get in and drive.

-----------------------------------------------------
Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC
Old 10-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Hotshoe
Instructor

I had an S2000 (also considered a chick car). While it is a lot of fun and handles extremely well you're going to end up at the same conclusion as most 944 owners, no power. Plus they are expensive.

Instead of a Miata I'd suggest you take that cash and buy a shifter kart. If you want to race there is no better tool to learn and it will be faster and scarier than anything else you could buy. Otherwise get the Miata and buy an A-Ha CD!

If there is a track near you look intoi renting a shifter kart or taking a class. I guarantee your first time will scare the s*$t out of you. There is a reason that most pro drivers train with them in the off season to stay sharp.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I made this choice when deciding on a track car. Ultimately, it was the roominess that won out. The Miata needed a good roll bar to be eligible for many track events, and a hardtop is also either recommended or required depending on the sponsor. With proper seats, it was a tight squeeze to get into the Miata; and there was no room for tires/tools. I can drive to the track in the 944 with four wheels and tools.

But if you want a light, balanced car with RWD, reasonable price, and handling designed into the car, there are very, very few alternatives. The only other option is can think of is an E30 3-series BMW.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:24 AM
CPR
Race Director

Not talking about the 1950's....ask any Harley Davidson Retailer, owner, service center, etc....about the modern Sportster and they will tell you exactly what I have already stated. Smaller frame, less power and handle bars specifically designed for....well...a woman's frame. This is not some well kept secret, pretty common knowledge in the HD community.

Originally Posted by Alxx Nova
Dude the Sportster started off as the K model back in the 50's. Which was a lightweight sport model to compete with the British bikes of the time (and Indian Scouts). That's when Harley got it's Hog name from since they were big, heavy, and slow and called "road hogs" by the British bike riders. For a while back then a Sportster was one of the hot bikes to have. So Harley create the K model (later called Sportster) to compete with other bikes of the time not to attract female riders back in the 50's.

Now the Miata I think was created to attract women drivers. Even Ford says the first mustangs back in 64 was targeted towards secretary's and such.

Personally I say just get the car that you love to drive so much it makes you take the long way every time you get in and drive.

Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC
Old 10-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Guess that's why most women ride softails these days. Had a couple of Sporty's in the late 80's and early 90's. The new ones don't feel smaller or less powerfull at all then what I owned 20 years ago.

But that's all I'm gonna say since this isn't a Harley board.

Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC
Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I made this choice when deciding on a track car. Ultimately, it was the roominess that won out. The Miata needed a good roll bar to be eligible for many track events, and a hardtop is also either recommended or required depending on the sponsor. With proper seats, it was a tight squeeze to get into the Miata; and there was no room for tires/tools. I can drive to the track in the 944 with four wheels and tools.

But if you want a light, balanced car with RWD, reasonable price, and handling designed into the car, there are very, very few alternatives. The only other option is can think of is an E30 3-series BMW.
This is an important point. My buddy has a Miata hat he loves as a DD. He put a roll bar in it to be able out it on the track legally, but wasn't able to get his helmeted head under the rollbar until he bought another pair of seats, and gutted the bottom out of them so he was sitting on a 1/2" foam pad on the floor of the car. He also bought a trailer to be able to pull his race tires. In the end, he converted his Miata back to street use, and now races a 944 Spec Car.

He loves the convertable aspect, and his Miata has given him very few troubles, but as a street/track toy, it's more compromised, especially if you are over 5' 8"

If you are going to get a 944, put time, effort and $$ into getting a good one - looks for records, and be patient until you find a cherished one that someone is having to get rid of (divorce, etc.)
Old 10-14-2008, 10:51 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Boy, tough crowd.

I've had lots of cars and my Miata was the funnest I have ever owned. Many of the GUYS I work with have also enjoyed them both on and off the track. It is underpowered, but for just a cruising around car it does fine. I thought about buying an S2000, but the car is twice the price of a nice Miata and frankly isn't any more fun under highway driving conditions.

Here's what you do. Buy an 04 Mazdaspeed turbo for 12-13k, go to Flyin' Miata and buy the Big Enchilada turbo upgrade kit and install. 270 HP to the ground in a 2200 lb car. For less than 20 grand installed you can beat cars 4 times the money to 100 all day long.

Or if you feel like creating the ultimate sleeper, you can buy the full Chevy LS1 upgrade and go V8!
http://www.flyinmiata.com/projects/LS1/index.php

I miss mine. I was dumb to sell it and going to be buying another one next spring.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

keep the 944 and get something else

and slowly work on the 944
Old 10-14-2008, 11:14 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Last week, I test drove a '91 Miata with the Flyin' Miata full boat turbo kit (albeit 7 yrs old). Dyno'd at 237 rwhp. It had stock suspension, but handled well nonetheless. The power curve was much peakier than my 951, and it didn't feel as fast even at the top end, but it was still pretty fun.

I have also driven a Spec Miata that my buddy used to race. It was slow as mollasses. Couldn't get out of it's own way. I guess the whole idea of those cars on a track is to get it up to speed and don't hit the brakes in corners.

Quick Reply: 944 to a Miata?