Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission coupler stuck (one side broke)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default transmission coupler stuck (one side broke)

well I'm trying to push my transmission coupler to the trans side and the metal bracket that the bolt goes through on the torque tube side just broke off when I was using a pry bar on it. I just used a 45 cm pry bar. the coupler is not budging and both bolts are removed.

now if I break the other bracket I'm guessing I'm screwed and it will have to be cut off.

I'm also using by blaster but it's still nto budging.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

anyone?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Sounds like the coupler is hooped indeed. Dunno if you can get a cutoff tool in there to just cut it in half or not, but that may be the end solution.

Is the transmission still bolted to the torque tube?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yup. I'm planning on towing the car to abbotsford and Marksportcts (marco) from rennlist will help me.

but I was trying to pull back the coupler myself to see if I also need a new torque tube (I just ordered a used coupler).

the part that the bolt goes through only has like one tiny weld so if you use a big pry bar it just breaks off. the coupler won't bodge forward or backward. If the coupler came off I could probably drop the transmission myself within a day it doesn't look difficult. But of course something like this makes it a thousand times more difficult.

I remember I could spin the coupler and with the car in gear and the part on teh torque tube would spin around the torque tube shaft so something there is stripped.

I'm guessing it has welded itself onto the trans shaft.

hmm I don't have the skill to cut that off.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:56 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I had that happen. First I assume you have both bolts completely removed. Loosen the transmission to torque tube bolts and once you get them loosened a turn or two you may find the collar slides pretty easy on the splines. If it doesn't move right away put a jack under the transmission and gently put upward pressure on it and see it the collar moves.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

^ i'm not installing a transmission.

the coupler is already on and won't come off that is the problem. when the teeth got stripped or whatever maybe it got screwd up and welded on there but i'm pretty sure it's stuck on the trans part.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:16 PM
kandyinmyvan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I don't think you have much choice than to pry harder. Really yank on that SOB. Be careful, though, of course.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

well one side already broke off ( the part that the bolt goes through). the other side will also break off if you bry harder and harder then what do you do?

there is only one tiny weld holding it that part on and it will break off. so once the other one breaks off you are screwed as there is nothing else to pry on to pull the coupler off.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 PM
kandyinmyvan
Instructor

Ah, now I see what you're saying. Have you tried to pry open the coupler where the bolts go? Maybe that will help you move it.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yeah I tried that. but it's not budging.

I'm afraid the coupler has welded itself onto the trans shaft or got stuck on the torque tube part.

the torque tube section is where it was damaged so it might be stuck there and that part is where it broke off. I used to be able to turn the coupler around the torque tube shaft but now it's stuck.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

That's a tough one as access is tight. I have a difficult time believing any 'welding' has happened. You need a awful lot of energy to do that. Have you tried sliding the coupler towards the torque tube? If it still won't budge, I think loosening the trans to torque tube bolts and trying to shift it slightly might help (via hydraulic jack). There should be dowel pins in there but it's possible some P.O. did a clutch and left them out, allowing misalignment. I'm not sure how hard the steel is but another option might be to get an air hacksaw in there and cut it in half...
Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

yummy...what the earlier poster meant was just put your jack under the trans with a 2x4 to protect it, jack it up to relieve the pressure on the coupler...I'd loosen the 4 bell housing bolts too...not remove them, just loosen them enough to see movement when you jack up the tranny...it can likely go up almost 1/8 inch or so. When I reinstalled mine...same stuff happened...it was binding.

Also, the coupler is split near the bolt ends so when tightened it will clamp down and lock the teeth together on the TT shaft/tranny shaft. As said...get tough with the SOB...it will not have welded together...its just binding.

GL!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

well like I said. One side (the metal bracket with hole for the bolt) fully broke off when I was prying.

there is only one tiny weld holding that bracket on so you can't reallly ge too tough with it. if the other one also breaks off then you'll have to weld it back to the coupler to try prying it off again or like someone here mentioned cut the coupler which is beyond my mechanical ability.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:51 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you can get in there w/ a small grinder or cut off wheel you can put a horizontal line along the side of the coupler and get it as deep as possible to try and split it longways. Then maybe it'll relieve the pressure and you can slide it or peel it off the TT.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

^ yeah I'm not going to attempt that. that's beyond my mechanical abilities. I don't want to mess it up any worse. there is not much space in there not sure if that is even possible.

Quick Reply: transmission coupler stuck (one side broke)