Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top speed record on 944 - New info

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
That car is hideous...and on top of that he takes the photos in what seems like a combination trailer park/junkyard. The whole scene screams "held together by duct-tape and chewing gum" to me.

I would consider purchasing the car for $1500 but I think that would likely be a little bit on the high end.
I prefer the pick up truck in the background...
Old 09-17-2008, 02:34 PM
vro944om
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy
I would pay good money to see this car in person and meet the "builder." Wish someone would do a hidden camera interview as if they were a buyer...
hmm..i DO live in the houston area.... :P

somebody should buy this car just to turn the radio all the way up with heavy metal and watch the car destroy itself... good money spent.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by vro944om
hmm..i DO live in the houston area.... :P

It would be priceless if you did the "prospective buyer" thing; I'm not sure I could do it with a straight face though...

somebody should buy this car just to turn the radio all the way up with heavy metal and watch the car destroy itself... good money spent.
+! on that thought; but again, could we at least get it on tape!?!
Old 09-17-2008, 02:47 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by white924s
No, I don't think that's quite right...a stereo that heavy will definitely increase the force on the axles/bearings/tires significantly, leading to more rolling friction resisting forward motion

in other words, the engine will have to fight harder to hit a given top speed. Removing the stereo won't affect the top speed by 30 mph, but i wouldn't be surprised if removing it added 10 mph or so to the top speed (purely ballpark guess)
Weight has almost no effect on top speed. It will just take longer to get there.
I say almost because otherwise someone would get "smart" and make a comment about 5,000lbs of concrete added to a 944....

It's not uncommong for Bonneville racers to add weight to make their cars more stable at high speeds since the distance it takes to get there is irrelevant on the salt flats.

I have the R&T top speed shootout from I think 1989. The author made a comment all the camera gear and passengers were "along for the ride" on the top speed test only since the extra weight would have no effect on the outcome. On the acceleration test they took everything out.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy
…and comes with a “back up camera” instead of a rear view mirror because the entire trunk area is filled with the custom amps!!!

OMG, this is sooooo funny I am going to puke up my lunch!!!!
...and since the seller (and potential buyer) has some serious endowment issues, it comes with it's own portable 260psi manhood pump...

-Z
Old 09-17-2008, 03:32 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't believe it didn't sell for his asking price.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:41 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Weight has almost no effect on top speed. It will just take longer to get there.
I say almost because otherwise someone would get "smart" and make a comment about 5,000lbs of concrete added to a 944....

It's not uncommong for Bonneville racers to add weight to make their cars more stable at high speeds since the distance it takes to get there is irrelevant on the salt flats.

I have the R&T top speed shootout from I think 1989. The author made a comment all the camera gear and passengers were "along for the ride" on the top speed test only since the extra weight would have no effect on the outcome. On the acceleration test they took everything out.
Yep, it's all about force. Weight doesn't add to your aero drag (significantly). You go faster until the output of your engine=

edit: hey, a 944 S made it onto the wikipedia aero page!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_aerodynamics
Old 09-17-2008, 06:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

i guess my non-S early would be a little bit higher than that because of my antenna and windshield but good to know

Quick Reply: Top speed record on 944 - New info