Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

allright, my seat question: ready to buy ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

i turned down a couple of smoking deals on cars that were prepared mainly for the track because i dont want a trailer - or worse a truck as a DD.

i didnt want a fixed back seat for a two to six hour drive to and from the track, so i got the SRDs with a subhole.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:00 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Tom - I've seen my share of these questions, and honestly, most I have seen were questions on stuff like Corbeau and Sparco Evo's - but not these; and these are different material; this is really nice though - I'll check out that user's name when I come back from work

I'd love take this car to DE's, not to win or whatever, but just to go around the track for fun etc.

there are no kids or anything like that, hell even passenger seat for me is optional since it's almost not used (and is actually the one that's REALLY need to be fixed/replaced - it won't move, it won't recline, and it's cover is ripped up)

I just e-mailed Sube and so I'll see what they say, in the mean time, if anyone (else) wants to chime in, I'm all ears! I'd like to get this done before end of the month
Old 09-04-2008, 01:41 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rluciano
I am considering Misanos as well. Why didn't the Cobra bracket work out?
They were universal mounts/sliders, not from Cobra, they fit the seat fine, just not the 951. I would have had to drill holes in my floor to mount them and even then the seat would have been too high. It was way less work to simply modify the stock sliders.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by eniac
They were universal mounts/sliders, not from Cobra, they fit the seat fine, just not the 951. I would have had to drill holes in my floor to mount them and even then the seat would have been too high. It was way less work to simply modify the stock sliders.
problem with drilling holes in the floor is you dont have the nut reinforced in case of a crash. i dont know how big of a thick plate you need so the bolts dont just pull out and you and the seat go flying. check out some of redlineman 's posts. John knows his stuff and posted a lot of good information over on the racing forum about bolt strengths, reinforcement etc.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:18 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FTW
Old 09-04-2008, 07:29 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom R.
problem with drilling holes in the floor is you dont have the nut reinforced in case of a crash. i dont know how big of a thick plate you need so the bolts dont just pull out and you and the seat go flying. check out some of redlineman 's posts. John knows his stuff and posted a lot of good information over on the racing forum about bolt strengths, reinforcement etc.
That's exactly why I DIDN'T do that and decided to modify the stock sliders instead which bolt to the factory positions.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:44 PM
roman944
Drifting

so I guess I get to keep looking

I'm wondering why the car won't pass inspection with a race seat and harness - isn't it much safer then a regular seat belt?

I mean, it's not like my car came with airbags or anything like that in the first place
Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by eniac
That's exactly why I DIDN'T do that and decided to modify the stock sliders instead which bolt to the factory positions.
Then the holes on the cobras are 16" apart. in that case, the recaro tracks will bolt to the floor, but you may have to drill into the sliders to get them lined up with the seat.

Originally Posted by roman944
so I guess I get to keep looking

I'm wondering why the car won't pass inspection with a race seat and harness - isn't it much safer then a regular seat belt?

I mean, it's not like my car came with airbags or anything like that in the first place
The harnesses are not DOT approved and have a life of something like five years because of UV deterioration. Leave it at that and dont apply any logic and you will be ok. try to logically figure out why your 20 year old belts that have been in teh sun for 20 years and had coffee spilled on them are OK and new harnesses not OK will only confuse you and me.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:13 AM
roman944
Drifting

lol Tom thanks, that would be MUCH easier!
which Recaro seats do you have?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

lol Tom thanks, that would be MUCH easier!
which Recaro seats do you have?
I have SRDs. I went through a bit of a hassle with them. I had Momo GTs (I think) in the 951 and mounted the sparco track to the wedge adapter plate. It was too low for my calf on a long trip (is it calf or hamstring on the back of the top of the leg?) because my knees were bent and my butt and heel were the only things not in the air.

When I sold Jon the turbo with the Momos he found me a set of used SRDs still in the box. I used the low recaro slider and still the same thing. Then I saw what Zoltan and Dan jeeper had in their car under their recaros and got the wedge bracket with the recaro height adjustable tracks. real nice but now a little too high. this winter i will cut one of the holes off.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:16 AM
roman944
Drifting

how resistant is that material to fade or being ripped?

and this is a reclining seat

http://www.supremepowerparts.com/pro...x?prod_id=5919
Old 09-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Roman, I am putting the following in my car:

Seat: Sparco Evo II plus
Side brackets: Brey-Krause lower side mounts
Sliders: Spacro

The only caveat I have on these, you will need to drill one of the Sparco sliders to accommodate the proper attachment to floor. The good news is you only have to drill one.

Photos:

Old 09-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how resistant is that material to fade or being ripped?

and this is a reclining seat

http://www.supremepowerparts.com/pro...x?prod_id=5919
Roman...those are the seats that I recommended at the start of the conversation. GREAT seats. And, you can buy them with a slot in the base for 5/6 point harnesses.

C.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:52 AM
roman944
Drifting

yup it just took me a minute to find them

will I fit though, lol, because there are like NO specs on it anywhere I looked
Old 09-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chads996
Roman...those are the seats that I recommended at the start of the conversation. GREAT seats. And, you can buy them with a slot in the base for 5/6 point harnesses.

C.
Those ARE nice. I keep going back and forth on whether I get fixed-back or folding. I still do plenty of street driving, and for at least another year or two my kids will be small enough to fit in the back seat.

Can someone chime in on how much lateral support improvement a seat like these Recaros gives compared to a stock seat, and compared to a fixed-back racing shell seat?

E.g. if the fixed back seat is a 10 out of 10, and the OEM Porsche seat is a 4 out of 10, is the Recaro SRD a 9? 7?

Quick Reply: allright, my seat question: ready to buy ...