Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

allright, my seat question: ready to buy ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008 | 01:15 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

My RaceTech 4009 is snug on me and I am considerably 'narrower' than a 40" waist. They do make a wide version however.

I wouldn't use a head restraint seat on the street. You lose too much of your peripheral vision.

Definitely try before you buy. There are a couple local sources of race seats you could try out: Fountain Motorsports on Rt. 104 in Ontario, and a place that I forgot the name of...on Ridgeway Ave. just before Manitou Rd. If I think of the name I'll pass it on.

I would suggest going down to Watkins Glen during a club race or DE weekend and asking car owners if you could sit in their seats. You will have a large variety of choices available to you in one place. I've got a couple events coming up soon, I could get you in.
Old 09-03-2008 | 01:34 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I'd keep original seats in the 944. Just recover the seats or get those seat covers , forget teh company that are made to custom fit these seats.

no offence but those racing seats look pretty ugly in a daily driver, non track car.
Old 09-03-2008 | 09:05 AM
roman944
Drifting

as of right now the car gets driven maybe 3-4 times a week - and one of those is definetly a Sunday

I didn't think that the head restraint really went up around the head that far, I thought it was like those "wings" that regular seats have - obviously more forward, but not enough to block the view

some of these show up used in good condition on ebay

the stock seats are nice, I just don't really like them that's all
Old 09-03-2008 | 09:25 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Airflite40
Good luck finding those! Recaro no longer makes them and they are getting harder and harder to find.
Uh...sorry, but you are incorrect. Speedware Motorsports is a high level distributor for Recaro. They are having them made as the Recaro "Speed" seat. Even with the slot for the 5/6 point belts.

See here:

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/...TS&Category=86

C.
Old 09-03-2008 | 09:46 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

problem with cobra is the mounting holes. the recaro tracks bolt right to the porsche holes. with a cobra you will need to get cobra tracks, im sure if the sparco base wont fit. then you have to get a plate from wedge to mount the tracks to, then you mount the plate to the floor.

you get to do this all with about 1/2" between the bottom of the seat and the floor.

the momo seat uses the sparco base.

measure twice cut once. Been there done that, took a loss on a pair of cobra seats and a set of sparco rails.

also learn the difference between side and bottom mount, and if getting side brackets make sure the mounting points are visible on the seat, not just on the specifications printout.

And dont forget the five or six point harnesses that are OK on the track are illegal on teh street. they are not DOT approved. you need the factory seat belt to pass state inspections. so if you order a base from wedge make sure it has the seat belt option.

I am taking my recaros out of my S2 after my october DE and putting the stockers back in for the winter. be it this 944 or another 44/51/68 im not keeping the recaros in for the winter. the stockers are that much easier to get in and out of. For a weekend toy i would go with comfort over boy racer looks.
Old 09-03-2008 | 10:30 AM
roman944
Drifting

those guys said they have sliding brackets and alloy mounts that fit the 944's location; because just because there is a bracket, doesn't mean that it will fit the same way as it is now

damn, so I got way overexcited I guess, lol

so uh, what would be my options again then
Old 09-03-2008 | 12:00 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i sold my 951 to Jon with Momo seats. The holes on a momo are the same as sparco. i had sparco tracks and the wedge base plate. only about 125 for each base plate, and something like 75 for each set of tracks. so for about 200 a seat you get the hardware without the bolts. i got a set of sparco bolts from another web site for about five bucks a seat. you want grade 8 hardware.

then you get to make it fit. hope the recliner **** doesnt interfere with the seat belt bracket, and the bolt holding the seat belt bracket doesnt interfere with the track.

add harnesses and you just exponentially increased your aggrivation factor.

the easiest are the recaros or seats with recaro mounting holes. the factory seats and recaro rails are 16" apart. not sure about front to back. you can screw a recaro slider directly to the floor. not a lot of clearence but if you saw an allen down a bit and get a allen that fits on a socket you save a lot of time.

but if the seat is too low, which it was for me on long drives, you get to sell your recaro tracks for half price and eat about $100, and get the height adjustable tracks for $100. then you get the wedge base plate for another 125. and install them. then you get to hacksaw the bracket if it is too high.

if you get a side mounted seat, you can adjust the tilt of the seat but it wont recline, and maybe adjust height, and the side bracket of a recaro will bolt to the recaro rails which will bolt to the floor.
Old 09-03-2008 | 02:24 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.
...the easiest are the recaros or seats with recaro mounting holes. the factory seats and recaro rails are 16" apart. not sure about front to back. you can screw a recaro slider directly to the floor. not a lot of clearence but if you saw an allen down a bit and get a allen that fits on a socket you save a lot of time...
I'm tall so the on the floor thing was a requirement...+1 on the Recaro sliders. Cake to install and remove. I mounted the Recaro sliders to the bottom of my Konieg seats and they were fine. Do some measuring and see if that would work for you on the other seats.
Old 09-03-2008 | 10:05 PM
roman944
Drifting

hm but can any seat be used to the recaro sliders
Old 09-03-2008 | 10:33 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by roman944
that's why these are a little more expensive

so this thread is pretty much that I'm ready to get the seat(s), now, I was affraid that the Evolution would not work as nice as something that resembles a regular seat because of it's shape; however, what about the other option?
I have already picked my seats by sitting in them. The ONLY Sparco seat that I could live with is the Evo 2 Plus (the name sounds like oversized women's undergarments). I'm amazed how narrow-assed seats are! I'm 6'1" and about 215 with a 38" waist. On any seat other than evo plus, I feel like my hip bones are getting clamped.

If you can't sit in them, then do not buy them. Kevlar may be superior to fiberglass, but I doubt that you'd ever need the difference in a street/track car.
Old 09-04-2008 | 10:09 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by roman944
hm but can any seat be used to the recaro sliders
NO. There are holes in the tracks for you to screw the track to the bottom of the seat.

Unless you feel comfortable drilling holes to match the seat to the holes you cannot.

And if you do drill the holes in the sliders to match the seat to the track, and the tracks are say 15" apart, you now have a seat that wont mount to the floor of the car. And in order to do that you will have to drill four holes in the floor to be centered. Then you have the problem of grip. do you want your seat held in by a piece of sheetmetal? the factory nuts on the floor are reinforced, etc.

do a web search and find the charts that have the dimensions of seat bases. if they are 16" apart left to right and different than the recaro front to back you can drill holes in the track to mount to the seat.

Do a search of redlineman 's posts on rennlist about seat bolts, etc. there is a wealth of information here on rennlist that will either make you smarter or scared.
Old 09-04-2008 | 10:43 AM
eniac
Drifting

I bought my Cobra Misanos from Sube and I love them. At $1500 a piece plus $225 for sliders that ended up in the trash they certainly weren't cheap. My car is a daily driver so I wanted folding seats. I had huge complaints about how flimsy and loose any less expensive seat felt. The carbon fiber backing really helps stiffen things up.

To mount these seats, I ended up using the stock Porsche sliders and mounts. It only required drilling one extra hole in each and cutting off some extra stuff on the drivers side since that bracket was for a stock power seat.

In my case, the extra cost for these seats was justified. For solid one-piece seats however, I'm not sure it would ever be worth spending more then $700 per seat unless you need something VERY lightweight.

Old 09-04-2008 | 11:01 AM
roman944
Drifting

Stephen thank you so much for the info! I now agree that for a daily driver, maybe a folding seat is a better option, so I am going to look for a nice folding seat, and maybe something cheap will show up localy with a fixed back so I can get it - try it - and if don't like it, sell it

what other seats did you try out? and ho wlong have you had these Cobra's for?
Old 09-04-2008 | 11:30 AM
eniac
Drifting

I had a customer, who is now sadly deceased, that had a large car collection of sports and muscle cars. I couldn't list every seat I sat in but many of these cars had aftermarket Recaros, Momo, and Sparco seats. All these seats had some uneasy flexing when I'd move my back while sitting in the seat, such as if I moved my shoulders I could feel the back of the seat twisting. These Misano's do that also but not nearly as much, it takes some effort to feel them flex. No folding seat will be as secure as a fixed back but if you need to use your back seat still for kids to ride along or for groceries then a fixed back seat would be a hassle. Why not get the drivers seat as a fixed back then get a folding passenger seat if you can find ones that match? That way you have the best of both. In hindsight, this is what I should have done. Some DE instructors have issues with the seats being different however. I personally don't see why it matters as you could have folding seats on both sides and they wouldn't say a thing.

I installed them in April of 2007 so I've used them for 2 seasons now which is about 7,000 miles.
Old 09-04-2008 | 11:42 AM
rluciano
Instructor

Question What was the issue with the Cobra bracket?

Originally Posted by eniac
I bought my Cobra Misanos from Sube and I love them. At $1500 a piece plus $225 for sliders that ended up in the trash they certainly weren't cheap. My car is a daily driver so I wanted folding seats. I had huge complaints about how flimsy and loose any less expensive seat felt. The carbon fiber backing really helps stiffen things up.

To mount these seats, I ended up using the stock Porsche sliders and mounts. It only required drilling one extra hole in each and cutting off some extra stuff on the drivers side since that bracket was for a stock power seat.

In my case, the extra cost for these seats was justified. For solid one-piece seats however, I'm not sure it would ever be worth spending more then $700 per seat unless you need something VERY lightweight.
I am considering Misanos as well. Why didn't the Cobra bracket work out?

Quick Reply: allright, my seat question: ready to buy ...