Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eBay Advice - What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:53 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay Advice - What would you do?

Hey guys,

Sorry to bother you about this. I sold a spare ECM I had for an 83-85 Porsche 944. I tested the ECM on my own 1984 Porsche 944 that I ended up selling a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, the ECM was perfect, and didn't have any problems. The guy bought the ECM and has had it for about a month. (he's had it for about 25 days). He said he can't get his car started, and he thinks it's the ECM because he said he replaced 5 other sensors and it still doesn't start. I know it was working when I sold it to him, and I do not have a return policy.

In all truth, although unlikely, I have no idea what's wrong with his car, and if he maybe had a short or something that might have damaged the ECM I sold him. And on the other hand, there are so many things that can prevent a Porsche 944 from running, that I can't be sure that it's even the ECM. On top of that, like I said, I don't accept returns.

Should I be obligated to give him the money back for it?

I want to be fair, but it was working fine when I sold it, and really, is it really my problem that he can't get his car started? I offered to help him diagnose it, but I haven't gotten an e-mail back. The guy also gave me a bunch of crap when I sold it to him too... I shipped it UPS Ground which takes 4-10 days for delivery, and he looked up my contact information through eBay, and called my house (although I didn't answer) and e-mailed me asking why it hadn't arrived yet (and the auction had just ended like 4 days before)???

Just wanted to know what you guys think... I don't want to be a jerk about it...
Old 08-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
Hey guys,

Sorry to bother you about this. I sold a spare ECM I had for an 83-85 Porsche 944. I tested the ECM on my own 1984 Porsche 944 that I ended up selling a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, the ECM was perfect, and didn't have any problems. The guy bought the ECM and has had it for about a month. (he's had it for about 25 days). He said he can't get his car started, and he thinks it's the ECM because he said he replaced 5 other sensors and it still doesn't start. I know it was working when I sold it to him, and I do not have a return policy.

In all truth, although unlikely, I have no idea what's wrong with his car, and if he maybe had a short or something that might have damaged the ECM I sold him. And on the other hand, there are so many things that can prevent a Porsche 944 from running, that I can't be sure that it's even the ECM. On top of that, like I said, I don't accept returns.

Should I be obligated to give him the money back for it?

I want to be fair, but it was working fine when I sold it, and really, is it really my problem that he can't get his car started? I offered to help him diagnose it, but I haven't gotten an e-mail back. The guy also gave me a bunch of crap when I sold it to him too... I shipped it UPS Ground which takes 4-10 days for delivery, and he looked up my contact information through eBay, and called my house (although I didn't answer) and e-mailed me asking why it hadn't arrived yet (and the auction had just ended like 4 days before)???

Just wanted to know what you guys think... I don't want to be a jerk about it...
As long as your auction stated that the item was sold "as-is" with no warrenty and absolutely no refunds. Then you are clear. If your auction didn't mention anything about no returns, etc., you may be obligated to refund his money.

It sucks when things like this happen, there was a time where I sold well over $1000 in parts through eBay, about 2-3 years back now. I won't sell on eBay ever again. Not sure if I will buy from eBay either. Most sales go okay, but just that one or two sellers/buyers that pull crap on us makes me dislike it.

Maybe you could work out a deal with him, that if he sends the computer back to you, and you find it in working condition, refund his money. Otherwise he's out of luck. My guess is, he just wants his money back, and be able to keep the part.

Hope that helps a little..

Matt
Old 08-22-2008, 04:26 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by Matthew951
As long as your auction stated that the item was sold "as-is" with no warrenty and absolutely no refunds. Then you are clear. If your auction didn't mention anything about no returns, etc., you may be obligated to refund his money.

It sucks when things like this happen, there was a time where I sold well over $1000 in parts through eBay, about 2-3 years back now. I won't sell on eBay ever again. Not sure if I will buy from eBay either. Most sales go okay, but just that one or two sellers/buyers that pull crap on us makes me dislike it.

Maybe you could work out a deal with him, that if he sends the computer back to you, and you find it in working condition, refund his money. Otherwise he's out of luck. My guess is, he just wants his money back, and be able to keep the part.

Hope that helps a little..

Matt

Yeah, and the thing is that now... sellers cannot leave negative feedback for the buyers. So, he can leave negative feedback with no repercussion.

The thing is, I have no way to test it. I just sold my 1984 Porsche 944 about 2 weeks ago. I plan to get another one in about a year or so... but even if I did get it back, I'd have no way to test it now.

I'll see what he says when he responds.

Thanks,
Old 08-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm all for making the customer happy, but in this case I'd say "tough luck". You were obliged to sell him an ECU, which may, or may not, work in his car. You were not obliged to make his car run. Who knows why it isn't running, and who knows if he did something to break your ECU... who knows if your ECU is even the correct part for his car?
Old 08-22-2008, 05:09 PM
hrsteel
Instructor

You made a commitment to deliver the part as advertised in working order. You did not make a commitment to fix his car. If you delivered on your promise, you have no further obligation. If he insists that the ECM is bad and that you should refund him, at the very least I would expect that he take it to a Porsche Service Center so that they can verify that it is indeed defective. If it's good, then he has no grounds to demand a refund. If it's bad, then you'll have to decide how much it's worth fighting over when and how it was damaged.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe have him test the ECU in another 944 to see if it works in another car.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:27 PM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

Was his ebay name "salesdevision" ?
Old 08-22-2008, 06:30 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would say- "check your ref sensors" and leave it at that. No way warranty on a used part- it worked until he messed it up if its broken.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:31 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Thanks guys...

Yeah, he still hasn't responded back. The guy has a very odd personality. I knew almost immediatly when I first sold him the item that he had issues.

Thanks,
Old 08-23-2008, 04:59 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

As above, I would not refund the money and if he gives you bad feedback, I would dispute it with eBay.

Here is some wording that you might find useful.

Contact & Payment
Contact must be made with seller within 3 days. All items must be paid for within 7 days. E-mails will be answered on a daily basis.

Warranty
All items listed are, as is, with no warranty.

Return Policy
Since I am selling used items, they are sold as is and are generally not returnable. Please ask questions before bidding if you are not sure about something. I always try to work with the buyer to avoid problems before, during and after an auction.

Shipping Policy
My postal code is X#X #X#, you may use the various online quotes to estimate shipping charges.
I ship from Canada and international buyers are responsible for brokerage and duties. If you are an international buyer please be aware that that there may be duties and brokerage on your purchase.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:37 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like you guys, I've been buying auto parts all my life and long ago learned there are never returns on electronic parts. Just the way it is.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:02 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
As above, I would not refund the money and if he gives you bad feedback, I would dispute it with eBay.

Here is some wording that you might find useful.

Contact & Payment
Contact must be made with seller within 3 days. All items must be paid for within 7 days. E-mails will be answered on a daily basis.

Warranty
All items listed are, as is, with no warranty.

Return Policy
Since I am selling used items, they are sold as is and are generally not returnable. Please ask questions before bidding if you are not sure about something. I always try to work with the buyer to avoid problems before, during and after an auction.

Shipping Policy
My postal code is X#X #X#, you may use the various online quotes to estimate shipping charges.
I ship from Canada and international buyers are responsible for brokerage and duties. If you are an international buyer please be aware that that there may be duties and brokerage on your purchase.

Thanks! I'm defintely going to have to put that text in my auction on the next few items I sell!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:19 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
Thanks guys...

Yeah, he still hasn't responded back. The guy has a very odd personality. I knew almost immediatly when I first sold him the item that he had issues.

Thanks,
Block his id, that way you will save your self from future problems.

look at my blocked id list on ebay, is his ID there?

383fan, 404les, 64cak, 8859rob, 910datsun, 944sjlee, 944turbo1986, 980jiggsaw4u2, aeroplane22, artdyl, b1bmd, bigandsmoothlee, blndbmbshel25, bmcgarrt, box_of_notes, brsmitt6, carlito944305, cuban951, davew970, dennybam21, dkray944, egedeon, gargoyleswarunit, geneqco, gonzalez914, hekaj, inyoarea5252, jhall100571, joejoejoe1316, jwnwsw, kdjones2000, kzyfst1, manofstee, mb9112008, mesnattes, phipfl, pmil3778, porschefreak2005, prztax, rabcollectibles, repairtech0, rk944t, samurainat78, saul53576, sjagman, thegodfather7176, tkx_performance, turner7814, vincentm1963, zarffyo

Quick Reply: eBay Advice - What would you do?