Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Cover Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 02:23 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Dash Cover Opinions

I'm thinking about buying a dash cover instead of taking mine out to have it repaired. That sounds like a line I don't really want to cross right now. I'm curious on how a dash cover looks once installed. Does anyone have pictures?

Here’s one I'm looking at (no affiliation)

Does that sound like a good cover at a good price, or is there something better out there?

Any opinions appreciated.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

i had one and it was alright, you have to make sure to prep it properly otherwise the glue will undo and it will look like ***.

something you may want to watch out for considering youre in TX is excess heat in the cabin/windshield; mine warped from the socal sun (even though its guaranteed not to warp) and came off after about 3 months. maybe just buy one of those reflective sunshades and crack the windows a bit and id guess youd be fine until you decide to recover the dash
Old 08-02-2008, 02:38 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, if it is not cracked to bad, a good vinyl shop can do pretty good repair. We had it done on our old 951 and it came out great....and only cost $70
Old 08-02-2008, 04:05 PM
klamer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm here in DFW and I put on a dash cover from coverlay about 2 weeks ago. It is what it is. You can pretty much tell it's plastic if you give it a good looking at but it's miles ahead of what I had. I always use a reflective windshield sunblocker and all of the other windows are tinted but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I get some warping and when I do I'll send it back beacues it has a lifetime warranty against warping. I think after the first year I have to pay shipping tho.

I'll see if I can grab some pictures.
Attached Images   

Last edited by klamer; 08-02-2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: add pix
Old 08-02-2008, 08:12 PM
darthfur
AutoX

CPR
I have contacted several dash repair companies and auto upholstery shops here in southern Florida and all have told me repairs cannot be made; the dash would have to be replaced. My dash has very light damage and the cracks are just starting to appear, therefore I need to address the problem as soon as possible. Would you mind supplying the name and phone number of the company that performed your repairs and possibly post pictures of their work? It worth the trip to me.

Thx,
Walt
Old 08-03-2008, 02:52 PM
art
Pro

I'm interested in a viable repair service also. Just dashes wants ~$1200.00. 928 Leather wants $550.00 for their early cover uninstalled, but I don't like the stitching. I've spoken to a few upholstery shops around here, but nobody that really seems to know what to do. The deep curves are the main problem.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:01 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have seen one dash cover on a 944 that actually looked good a number of years ago. I wish i remember who made it but I think the owner spent a lot of time putting it on properly because you could only tell on the very edges where the cover stopped. It didn't look cheap like most of the ones you see.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:23 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that your 924 in the picture? If so you can just get the carpet type cover. I had one in my 85 944. It looked ok. They're in expencive and at first I didn't really like it but it grew on me over a couple of months. The thing I like is, you know you're covering something up just like with a plastic cover but it's not really trying to camoflauge it. I don't know if you get my drift or not.

Something like this
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...y/944_dash.JPG

The only pic I could find of my car with the cover shown. Kind of

Last edited by pkt1213; 08-03-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:38 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Search user JayVee

He found a repair kit that looks very nice. I thought I had the link for the product, but I can't find it. His thread has pics and everything though.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

Removing the dash really isn't that big of a deal. I used Clark's procedure and it was right on. One day out, one day in and I am a sloooow worker. You should also have some 1/2 inch upholstery foam and glue to replace the deteriorated foam on the center vent housing. You can pick up a cracked up dash for a core cheap, send it to get repaired and upon receipt install it. I have one for an 86 951 I'll sell for $50+shipping. I also bought a good conditioned dash on ebay for $300+. Why waste your time and money on a cover that's going to give u problems sooner than later.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:17 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rip It
Removing the dash really isn't that big of a deal. I used Clark's procedure and it was right on. One day out, one day in and I am a sloooow worker. You should also have some 1/2 inch upholstery foam and glue to replace the deteriorated foam on the center vent housing. You can pick up a cracked up dash for a core cheap, send it to get repaired and upon receipt install it. I have one for an 86 951 I'll sell for $50+shipping. I also bought a good conditioned dash on ebay for $300+. Why waste your time and money on a cover that's going to give u problems sooner than later.
That makes sense. I guess it's really not as big of a deal to remove the dash as I thought. If this is true, I will look on Clark's for the procedure on removing that. I could have the cracks repaired and dash recovered in vinyl. Hmm. . . . I think I'll try that.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Quick Reply: Dash Cover Opinions