Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non Saratoga Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:04 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 207 Likes on 135 Posts

Revo, as for early/late, I use that as the same as manual/power. It may be innacurate, though, as some "early" tops could have been made later than the introduction of the power roof.

I've searched the forums and I could not find an exact description of the differences. The best I've found was Tifo saying this:
"this is for a manual sunroof car, or one that has been converted to manual. Although, it *almost* seems to clamp properly in my power sunroof car. Power sunroof owners purchase at your own risk or plan on doing a little customizing."

Can we all agree that Saratoga never made a fiberglass top for the power sunroof cars?
Old 09-14-2008, 01:06 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
I think you should seek a career in arbitration!
I know how stupid it is to join a pissin' match on the 'net, but for some reason I felt I could work it out this time. What is an arbitrator supposed to do when both parties are reasonably "correct"?

Bart has said nothing incorrect, yet he inadvertantly decieved Revo and some others. He did disclose manual right up front, and repeatedly reminds us of that.

Slap on the wrist to Revo, for escalation based on an assumption. The way this thread reads you are trying to catch him not knowing the difference between glass and plexi. Yes, he should have offered you some proof sooner but he's not really required to, and I believe he may have enjoyed watching you dig a hole with the tempered stuff. The man NEW it was plexi, has taken it to a shop that does plexi work, if they did not laugh him off you probably should not either.

Last edited by 944Fest (aka Dan P); 09-14-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:23 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anybody know what all parts I need to convert to a manual roof?
I have a manual Saratoga I want to get rid of, and would like to put together all the parts need to install on a power sunroof car to make things easier for a prospective buyer.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:26 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
Does anybody know what all parts I need to convert to a manual roof?
I have a manual Saratoga I want to get rid of, and would like to put together all the parts need to install on a power sunroof car to make things easier for a prospective buyer.
Can you insert me on your "buyer" list? When you decide to sell? I have been "lazily" looking for one.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:37 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Patrick, Sent you a PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
I think you should seek a career in arbitration!
Second that motion.

I must've been bored yesterday to even pursue this pissin' match.

But if Rennwish benefits, it will be worth it.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:08 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan hit in on the head. I was baited into a argument for no reason, and I even mentioned so. I asked questions and received no answers. His opening statements were vague and were open to interpretation, like Dan said.

I have always been concerned there IS a manual and power version of these tops. I looked at SEVERAL before I settled on mine. Main reason I settled was my PO's, PO had it on a manual car, and when MY PO bought it, he put it on a power. I never even stopped to think about Barts opening "mine are manual though" statement because all I have seen have been advertised as manual. Trust me, I wanted to make certain I bought a top that would in my cars, instead of making it a $700 paper weight.

And as far as buyng your top, I'd probably give you a $1000 for it. You can make this $100 contribution from your proceeds. Heck, you can do all $1000 if you want.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:37 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

I'm glad we seem to have come to an understanding here.
Revo never made any pledge or finacial bet. I still would like to see the pics of what a fiberglass piece looks like. His offer of 1K seems QUITE generous.

PS..Revo, please don't compare Rennwish with "bellringers". I understand the slang reference but IMHO to put ANYTHING derogatory out there in the same sentence as Rennwish is flat blasphemy, esp on this board.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Ok, at least we've got it back to a reasonable discussion. Bart, excellent closing argument, I will note one "flaw"-
With this statement "Saratoga made them in both glass and plexi. The glass is frameless and the plexi has a frame."
You implied this was the normal manufacture from Saratoga. The wording is open to interpretation.
You kind of set the hook on Revo there. Yes, there was an explanation there, yours are for manual.

BUT-For some reason Revo feels they are swappable. His explanation is a good one except for this-
"I bought it knowing it came off a manual car and the PO had it on a power car. That's the only reason I bought it."

Anything a PO said or did is kind of inadmissible here. 3rd party, unverifiable, etc. I need a story from someone who plucked a manual roof out of an early 924, and walks it over to their 951 and plugs it in. What are the exact differences? (I PM'd Geoff, maybe he can help me out here)

If bracketry is the only difference, there may be a few nickles to be earned doing conversions!

Bart- for trying to help Rennwish, best cause I've ever seen.
Wish I could help... both cars are equipped with power roofs... sorry guys.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:16 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Here is the back side of my top. Notice just 4 latches, no provision to pick up the lifting arms.
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2008, 07:07 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan- Am sorry. I didnt mean for it to be such in such context. I do contribute in any way I can, just not really money wise. I have a lot to take care of as it is, and there's really not much left over like some of the wealthier crowd here. Never fear though, any opportunity I have or will have to help in other ways will be taken. Again, my apologies.

Ok, so now we have a really good topic going. Smokie just showed his manual, early framed glass top. I do have to apologize, as I thought the rear mounts were the same on manual/power cars and you just hand lifted it up. Thats the first time I have ever seen manual latches. Yes, I'm ignorant...I just had a different idea I suppose.

Either way, the topic just got a bit more interesting. And I do feel $1000 is a good offer for said top. In the end, I would STILL be curious as to the weght.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

11.7 lbs. I have a manual polymer (not glass) saratoga. Comes with the bag. S/N 809385 . TUV # melted into the polymer so it is NOT GLASS.

$1000 + shipping and its yours.

Pictures tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:07 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Since I started this thread I have a question. Does the manual version of a Saratoga work like a manual OE sunroof? Like does it tilt by resting the levers in the groove on the roof? I tilt my manual SR all the time but seldom remove it completely. The manual Saratoga latches in some of the photos doesn't look like it can be tilted open, only removed completely.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Attached Images    
Old 09-17-2008, 01:48 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
And I do feel $1000 is a good offer for said top.
Was that an offer or..?

Quick Reply: Non Saratoga Sunroof?