Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sad pic, vette vs lamborghini crash

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 10:31 AM
jason1972
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post sad pic, vette vs lamborghini crash

This is what happens when people race on city streets. this happened about a year ago. a lambo and a vette got into a drag race, lambo cut into the other lane to pass the vette but hit a oncoming volvo head on, instantly killing himself (lambo driver), his passenger, and two people in the volvo. 4 people dead. idoit in vette somehow lost control of his vette and crashed. just minor injuries on him however. he is serving 15yrs for manslaughter.

see below for real life pics
<a href="http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=431652" target="_blank">http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=431652</a>
Old 12-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

OK just to tell you that did not take place in new jersey. My friend was there and it took place in oceanside on long island. I pass in front of that bus lot almost everyday. I still have the newspaper article with the dead driver of the lambo hanging out of his car. Whoever posted that thread is wrong. The passenger of the lambo survived and the passenger of the volvo survived also. The only two casualties were the drivers of the lambo and the volvo. The lambo hit the volvo so hard that the volvo flipped over and was found upside down at the scene. The vette was a one seater and was supercharged with NOS. I think he was pushing around 500 hp. Apparently the driver of the vette said that the lambo was tailgating him and he tried to speed away to get rid of him. the lambo went to pass on the opposite lane and saw the volvo and tried to go back to his lane, but it was too late. The vette was right next to him and swerved out of control hitting the tree. It's a sad sad story. Just to let you know the driver might face 15 to life in prison for what he started.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:23 AM
Mledbetter
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Silverbullet951:
<strong>It's a sad sad story. Just to let you know the driver might face 15 to life in prison for what he started.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I believe he was already sentenced. 15 years in New York state Prison. Sentenced in August of 2002, the incident occured in June of 2001. I think his name is Kevin Hart.

-Matt
Old 12-11-2002, 02:52 PM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

I think Kevin Hart is innocent.

If he reved his engine....oh well...its all in good fun IMHO....if the Lambo driver took it as a race, his stupidity.....

Even if Keven didn't rev his engine, the Lambo driver was the stupid one to race....i seen plenty of times where a couple of cars pulled up beside me and took off like a bat out of hell....your telling me if they wreck and killed 2 drivers, i should go to jail for 5-15 years for tha?

also Kevin ended up in a tree....could be cause by racing, or could be cause by avoiding the accident....

anyhow thats my .02 cents

thanks,
space
Old 12-11-2002, 03:51 PM
boostaholic
Instructor

That took place in my town, 5 min from my house. The road is long and straight with 4 lanes in an industrial area. People don't race there too often; many side streets and quite congested during most hours. Apparently the driver had a huge "going away" party before he went to jail.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Since when is revving your engine or speeding up because of a tailgater a crime punishable by 15 years in prison?

It is definitely a one-sided site, but I read through some of the testimonies on that site, <a href="http://www.kevinhart.org" target="_blank">www.kevinhart.org,</a> and it sure seems that he was a scapegoat, an example of sorts.

Everyone here think of how many times you've tapped your brakes or accellerated when someone tailgated you, or how many times you've been driving innocently when some rice-boy thinks the two of you are racing and makes some dumb move... Could have happened in this case. One thing to seriously look at is the driving records. The Lambo driver had 7 speeding tickets with his license revoked twice I believe, while the Vette driver had only 2 speeding tickets, both times about 20 over, one in 95 and one in 98 ("none of which he received while driving his Corvette").

Have any of you seen "We The Jury" on TV? If that's a "jury of your peers," and that's the caliber of jury in normal courtrooms, it's no wonder OJ gets off and this guy doesn't. Not taking sides, just making a point.

Sad either way you look at it.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:31 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty shabby that even after all the press this thing got and even after his conviction, this clown still can't manage to take even the slightest responsibility for his actions. If he is going to have a site put up, at least show some regret and if he were really stupid enough to not put 2 and 2 together and figure out where he went wrong at least try to put up SOMETHING that might show that he might not be at fault. the entire site would be funny if it werent tragic. He got the sentance he deserved, accept it like a man!
Old 12-11-2002, 08:20 PM
nwehtje944
Racer

I have a copy of the article, I'll try and scan it in. it has a pic of the lamborghini. for now I'll just type it in, just forgive the typos.

"Oceanside, NY. - The street where a pair of dray-racing sports cars careened out of control, killing two people including an innocent motorist is a popular spot for racing, residents say.
Sunday’s wreck left the cars twisted lumps of metal, with debris strewn along the roadway.
Residents in the Long Island suburb say racing and wrecks are common on that strip of raod.
“It’s know for racing,” residents Stu Nagel said. “Almost every week, there’s an accident.”
Police said there was no indication that the drag race had been inspired by the movie “the Fast and the Furious,” which opened Friday as the nation’s No. 1 Film.
Witnesses told police that the drivers of a Lamborghini and a Corvette were speeding for several blocks before the Lamborghini smashed head-on into a Volvo.
Killed in the crash were Michael Vasapolli, 30, who was diving the 2001 Lamborghini, and the Volvo’s driver, Glenn Jacofsky, 43.
“The corvette, which had a vanity plate that read, “LOV2XLR8" (Love to Accelerate), lost control and hit a parked school bus, police said. The Corvette’s Driver, Kevin Hart, 27, was treated for minor injuries. He was charged with two counts of manslaughter and was arraigned Monday, police said.
Hart, a plumber, has three speeding convictions dating to 1991, said Lt. Detective Frank Guidive, a spokesman for the Nassau County Police. “His actions contributed to the death of these other people,” Guidice said.
“These cars would not have been racing if he did not consent to race,” he said.
According to police, Vasapolli, in the Lamborghini, crossed into the oncoming land to pass another can and could not get back into his own land fast enough to avoid hitting Jacofsky. Caspolli worked in a family construction business in Brooklyn. He had seven speeding convictions dating back to 1989."
Old 12-12-2002, 08:55 AM
jason1972
Advanced

i agree with the guy who posted that the vette driver should accept it and at least show some remorse. as a cop, i can see why he would be charged. there is a reason why cops charged with him manslaughter and there is a reason why the jury (i assume) convicted him. he deserve every day that he got in prison. he is lucky that he only received 15yrs. if he was in another country, he would be executed, since because of him, two people are dead.

if people dont like the way the law is then they should go live in another country. as long as you live in usa then obey the law and get on with it like a man. stop crying.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:57 AM
jason1972
Advanced

Lightbulb

ironic. an italian (dead driver) driving an italian car.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:48 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Jason,
Sad pic for what? The cars or the orphaned kids?

At the time of the accident my wife worked with two neighbors of the Volvo driver's widow. I think the community set up some sort of fund for the kids.

I live six miles from that "accident", and six miles from the "accident" that killed the couple on the way from the church to their wedding reception. I was driving my Firebird a few years ago with the top down on that road (Lido Blvd) when some kids in a then new rustang GT started to race me. I raced till about 50 mph then realized I was on the same road as the accident, and QUICKLY slowed down. Some other kids told me I was a ***** and should have whupped the rustang with my car. Whats the matter McFly? Chicken?

Everyone knows the dangers of drag racing, and in certain areas where there were deaths, the consequences are the consequences.

I have a client that I went to many nights about a mile from the Lambo/Vette disaster when it happened.

I also had to wait on a highway (Nassau Expressway) by JFK tuesday night while a bunch of kids decided to block off the highway so they could have a drag race.

It is getting out of control here.

Which one of you bleeding heart Aholes really believes the guy just was revving his engine? Did you see the damage to the vette? come on get real. Tell the widow he was just revving his engine.

I have no sympathy for that Ahole. There is a time and a place for everything, and that strip is neither the time or the place.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:03 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Matt,
Did you ever hear of "Plea Bargain"?

On Long Island each town has it's own court. When one gets a ticket from the Nassau or Suffolk County police, one goes to court and meets with a Prosecutor before the case goes before the judge.

The prosecutor and defendant play lets make a deal and if an agreement is reached the prosecutor's recommendation is put before the judge. A plea of guilty to the reduced charge is equal to being found guilty after a trial, and goes on the defendants license.

Lets do the math, a 30 mph speed limit, and 20 over is 50 in a 30 which really was?????

What do you think of those two tickets now?

Is there a relationship between the points on a license, and the frequency of accidents?
Seem they go hand in hand.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:55 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by jason1972:
<strong>ironic. an italian (dead driver) driving an italian car.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What the Hell does that mean?

I'm italian, What are you trying to say?
Old 12-12-2002, 10:59 AM
Magnus
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by jason1972:
<strong>if he was in another country, he would be executed, since because of him, two people are dead. </strong><hr></blockquote>

China or Iran maybe.. The rest of the world? No.

//Magnus
Old 12-12-2002, 11:00 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by nwehtje944:
<strong>I have a copy of the article, I'll try and scan it in. it has a pic of the lamborghini. for now I'll just type it in, just forgive the typos.

"Oceanside, NY. - The street where a pair of dray-racing sports cars careened out of control, killing two people including an innocent motorist is a popular spot for racing, residents say.
Sunday’s wreck left the cars twisted lumps of metal, with debris strewn along the roadway.
Residents in the Long Island suburb say racing and wrecks are common on that strip of raod.
“It’s know for racing,” residents Stu Nagel said. “Almost every week, there’s an accident.”
Police said there was no indication that the drag race had been inspired by the movie “the Fast and the Furious,” which opened Friday as the nation’s No. 1 Film.
Witnesses told police that the drivers of a Lamborghini and a Corvette were speeding for several blocks before the Lamborghini smashed head-on into a Volvo.
Killed in the crash were Michael Vasapolli, 30, who was diving the 2001 Lamborghini, and the Volvo’s driver, Glenn Jacofsky, 43.
“The corvette, which had a vanity plate that read, “LOV2XLR8" (Love to Accelerate), lost control and hit a parked school bus, police said. The Corvette’s Driver, Kevin Hart, 27, was treated for minor injuries. He was charged with two counts of manslaughter and was arraigned Monday, police said.
Hart, a plumber, has three speeding convictions dating to 1991, said Lt. Detective Frank Guidive, a spokesman for the Nassau County Police. “His actions contributed to the death of these other people,” Guidice said.
“These cars would not have been racing if he did not consent to race,” he said.
According to police, Vasapolli, in the Lamborghini, crossed into the oncoming land to pass another can and could not get back into his own land fast enough to avoid hitting Jacofsky. Caspolli worked in a family construction business in Brooklyn. He had seven speeding convictions dating back to 1989."</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hate reporters. You see how they have generalize about everyone? I never see anyone racing on that strip of road ever. And the fact that they think this has to do with the movie the fast and the furious, is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. And just to say, that no one knows if anyone consented to race. That statement has no proof behind it. Just becuase a "COP" said it, doesn't mean it's true.

Quick Reply: sad pic, vette vs lamborghini crash