Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sad pic, vette vs lamborghini crash

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 11:07 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In Sweden he would probably not even lose his license...
Old 12-12-2002, 12:00 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote] if people dont like the way the law is then they should go live in another country. as long as you live in usa then obey the law and get on with it like a man. stop crying.

<hr></blockquote>

That is a STUPID *** argument and I get madder and madder everytime I hear it. You do know how we got our Constitution here in the US don't you? People cried about the current LAW of the time and did NOT move to another country, they fought back for what they felt was right. If you think the laws are so binding, and can't possibly be wrong, maybe YOU should go to some OTHER country run by an authoritarian government that can't POSSIBLY BE WRONG.

Argument sounds stupid doesn't it? Right back atcha.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:09 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by PrerYDoG:
<strong>

That is a STUPID *** argument and I get madder and madder everytime I hear it. You do know how we got our Constitution here in the US don't you? People cried about the current LAW of the time and did NOT move to another country, they fought back for what they felt was right. If you think the laws are so binding, and can't possibly be wrong, maybe YOU should go to some OTHER country run by an authoritarian government that can't POSSIBLY BE WRONG.

Argument sounds stupid doesn't it? Right back atcha.</strong><hr></blockquote>

PRERYDOG, Remember, this guy is a cop who's making these dumb *** comments. Just makes you think about who's actually in the Police Force.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:19 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Hey Silver,
Pass the crack pipe when you're done.

I've seen races & driven fast on that strip,starting at PC Richards& passing Bauman busses going south.

Next thing youre gonna tell me is nobody drives fast on lido blvd.

Re read what you wrote. If no one consented to the race, then how did people die. One neednt be a forensic expert to deduce what happend, and how fast the cars were going, etc.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:21 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont see how a 6.0ltr diablo could pass a forced induction c4 on the bottle, so I can't see how they say they were racing.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:22 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Re read the quote about the fast and furious.

I believe the word NO is in there.

Police said there was no indication that the drag race had been inspired by the movie “the Fast and the Furious,” which opened Friday as the nation’s No. 1 Film.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:49 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

PrerYDoG- I agree- I can't stand to see the way so many people have bent over to give up their freedom- ESPECIALLY since 9/11- I for one am here, and I hate some of the current laws & practices in our legal system, etc and I am not leaving! I think our original constitution is worth fighting for. To say "well, we've got it better than other countries" bugs me- why not say "we've got it better than other countries, but it could still be a lot better..."???
Old 12-12-2002, 12:50 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Yea, but the idea came up. That's what people automatically think. That's why the cop's had to say it wasn't part of it. Or else everyone would associate the race to this movie. And, if you've seen it from Pc richards then that's you not me. I truthfully have never seen a race on this road. What if the guy in the vette was telling the truth? HUH? maybe he did accelerate a little to get the guy off his tail, and the guy in the lambo automatically saw it as a race. If i see a guy tailgating me for miles and I decide to acclerate to go into another lane or just get away, becuase he's annoying, and the guy dies, it's MY Fault?? How can that be? Is that a reason to get 15 years in prison. C'mon. THere are people that do much worse things and they get a more lenient sentance. I will say that racing on that road has got to be the dumbest thing to do. It's not even a smooth road. It's bumpy everywhere. I will also say that there is no racing on ocean parkway (just kidding).
Old 12-12-2002, 01:08 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also think it's sad that Hart got 5-15 for that, when he wasn't the one crossing dbl yellow and going head-on w/the Volvo. The prob w/this stuff is that we will never actually know the truth. Things get so distorted by the mdeia (and the cops- no offense Jason), that by the time the case is over, there's no telling where it will end...
Old 12-12-2002, 01:10 PM
xcessiv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm.... Who has more of my attention. The tailgater behind me or the Lamborghini next to me, hmmmmm. What exactly do you have to be doing to hit a parked school bus.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:22 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
People racing on the streets + blocking off streets to race + people dying of high speeding accidents = opening up a dragstrip racetrack to fix the problem
Old 12-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Silverbullet951:
<strong>

I hate reporters. You see how they have generalize about everyone? I never see anyone racing on that strip of road ever. And the fact that they think this has to do with the movie the fast and the furious, is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. And just to say, that no one knows if anyone consented to race. That statement has no proof behind it. Just becuase a "COP" said it, doesn't mean it's true.</strong><hr></blockquote>
I would hate people who's job is to write down what happened at a third grade level if I could only read at a second grade level too .

That story got the whole thing down to a couple paragraphs but at the time there was alot of coverage. The TV news interviewed a bunch of witnesses, including some that are quoted on the scumbag's site, the difference is that they didn't cut off the story in the begining (before it got incriminating). See if you can find what the wife (in the lambo) says happened AFTER she said "don't do it", you don't really think her story ended there do you? How do you explain that 2 cars that weren't racing for several blocks were still (almost) next to each other if only one of them is doing 90 mph? Just look at the picture and try to utilize a small corner of your brain!!! His story just doesn't support the picture, and given the choice between the two I have to believe the picture has no reason to lie.

Normally I tend to like people who agree with me...but my mother's Italian . Next thing you know, he'll be wondering if the guy in the vette was American
Old 12-12-2002, 08:55 PM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

I can't believe there are people saying that Hart deserved what he got...

What are you basing this off of?

How can you say that a guy driving a vette deserves 5-15 years in prison simply for revving his motor,or for accelerating? I don't see any laws that are against when you should rev your motor or how fast you can speed up....that is if thats all that Hart did....even if he was racing, the Lambo driver crossed the center line and put everyone elses lives in danger....

Lets take the Lambo out of the picture with the vette speeding....Vette goes down the road and wrecks into the school bus...what would happen to him there?....I say a fine and/or lic. taken away....his actions in this matter is equal to the action with the Lambo in it.....the worst was done by the Lambo driver....

my .02 cents

space
Old 12-12-2002, 09:25 PM
Mike S.
Pro

These are some general comments that related to street racing and do not refer in detail to the accident being discussed in this post.

I'm 43 years old and have a wife and two lovely children that are the highpoint of my life. To envision that they would become hurt or killed by by someone involved in a street race sends chills up my spine. I can not imagine how I would cope or deal with a situation like this.

Nobody in a street race thinks that they will be the cause of an accident. It is an ego filled, usually impulsive reaction to a highly competitive situation. We're talking primal male behavior. Clear thinking, safety, prudence, and consideration of non participants are usually not thoroughly considered. I know, as I have engaged in several higher speed drives, which technically might not have been all out races, but had all the elements of an accident waiting to happen. I am not "proud" this fact and will not make a point of "revelling in the details" of any of these incidents (i.e. I powershifted into 4th at 120 while I watched the other guys eyes bug out as I passed him...blah blah blah) when talking with other Porsche and car enthusiasts. I can only thank God that I never caused any harm to an innocent and yes, even the driver of the other car.

The consequences of street racing can be devastating and unimaginable. To believe that there is no way some unexpected or unanticipated "problem" will emerge in the course of a street race is sheer arrogance. I have been guilty of this arrogance. God forbid that one of you are involved in an incident in which you injure an innocent party. If you have a healthy conscience, you'll likely be tormented mentally for the rest of your life.

And on the technical side, do you have any idea how far it takes a 944 to brake from 100 mph. If you don't know, find out as it will surprise you how far it takes. Also, consider that most everyone on the road is not anticipating 40 - 80 mph approach speeds.

For those of you love cars, enjoy competition, and lust for the thrill of driving fast, there are great alternatives that are frankly a lot more fun (e.g. drag strip, DE, club racing).

Please understand that I'm not trying to killjoy, a preaching old fart (although at 43 I don't consider I am), or a surrogate parent. I'm not the law or preacher of morality per se. But please give what I said some serious thought.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 12-12-2002, 11:40 PM
boostaholic
Instructor

On a somewhat related note I heard there was a huge crackdown on street racing on ocean parkway.

Quick Reply: sad pic, vette vs lamborghini crash