Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor Clutch Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default AC Compressor Clutch Bearing

I should have posted this here first (it's also in the 944 Turbo specific forums)

Other post in 944T forum https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/434665-ac-compressor-clutch-bearing.html

I was looking for some help to find where to buy an ac compressor clutch bearing or the entire clutch assembly for my 86 turbo... original message follows

A-la scuba steve...

I found an old post which recommended Northside Refridgeration in Texas as a source for the Nippondenso 10p15 (standard late 944 ac compressor) clutch bearing. Unfortunately, they have gone out of business... So, I'm looking for another place to find it and my trusty paragon products only seems to carry the entire compressor.

The compressor is tested good and blows cold, the bearing is certainly on its way out. It makes the same grinding sound regardless of the clutch being engaged or not.

Anyone know another place to find this ac compressor clutch bearing? What about just buying a new clutch assembly?

I prefer to just replace the bearing, since I know the compressor and clutch haven't been used much (rarely actually gets hot here in Ct.!)

Also, I have a new receiver/dryer I don't need, let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 06-04-2008, 09:12 PM
AR10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the clutch and remove the bearing. It will have a number on it.
Should be available at any parts store.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

AR10, will do!

Just to check, has anyone done this before and happen to remember the part#? Would be great so I could have the part ready and throw it in.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 06-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the entire compressor from my 86, so if it comes down to needing something, let me know. Was in working order when I remover/deleted the AC.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AR10
Pull the clutch and remove the bearing. It will have a number on it.
Should be available at any parts store.
That's what I did....it wasn't available at any place local that I could find, but I did google it and found an ag supply place. I recall it being pretty cheap.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:05 AM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick

It's been a almost two weeks. Did you get this done?

I just put in a remanufactured compressor and the clutch makes a horrible sound when the AC is off. Quiet when AC is on. I'm sure I could have gotten a replacement under warranty, but I bought the thing almost a year ago and just now got it installed. I'd like to know if you managed to replace the clutch and bearing and if you had to remove the compressor to do this. I'd prefer not having to do that.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:46 AM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

nevermind. The elves came into the garage over night and fixed it.

no more noise.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

I did replace the bearing, however, the bearing that rockauto.com suggests for a 1986 944 Turbo is incorrect for the stock compressor. The part # should be 5001KFF not 5000KFF. The difference is that the incorrect bearing has an inner race that is the correct width, however the outer race is recessed which causes the clutch pulley to be too close to the compressor. So, with the help of a friend we fabricated a shim to make the bearing work.

In case you do decide to replace the bearing, make sure you've got something strong to push the old bearing out and put the new bearing in (like a shop press). The pulley removal tool is a must as well since I wasn't about to bang on anything to get the clutch loose. You may also find another post on rennlist that states you must be careful around the front carbon seal on the compressor. At least for me, I had no problems with this seal since it seems to be very recessed into the front compressor plate. I supposed a calculated jab with a screwdriver could do it or if you place the woodruff key in the wrong spot. Other than that, it's a pretty straightforward job (with the right bearing!)

After the new bearing, all is well and the AC works fine.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:24 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Did you have to remove the compressor completely or just un-mount it?

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Clutch Bearing