Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:42 PM
ExMainer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Squeal

New pads and rotors in the front over the winter. Driving ever since and brakes squeal under slow braking only.
Using the spider brake dampeners w/ wurth squeal stop.
Missing somthing?
I do have a small power steering leak that VERY slowly drips fluid(1 drip every month) and its in that area...
Old 05-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

How much have you driven since the install? There is a break-in period ...
Old 05-26-2008, 09:30 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My best reccomendation is go drive the car HARD... Get the brakes good and hot. It really helps on the new cars.

Mark
Old 05-26-2008, 09:59 PM
ExMainer
Instructor

Probably a good 500 miles.
Zimmerman cross drilled with OEM pads.
I've been driving pretty hard, or at least thought I was.
Fluid topped, brake pedal is right there, no loss in performace what so ever.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:14 PM
ArcticSteve
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving ever since and brakes squeal under slow braking only.

What brand of pad? PBR Ceramic Oltimates will do just as you describe.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:29 AM
ExMainer
Instructor

Pads are from porsche, 964-351-939-03-OEM
Old 05-27-2008, 06:34 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

ERRR no

run the brakes in under normal conditions, otherwise you'll glaze them

squeel uually comes from brake dust or vibration

as you've used what sounds like the correct brake dampers, did you clean all the brake dust out as well.

some brake/pads are more squeely than others

on the standard s2 OEM parts never ever had any problems with squeel.

either way, DONT drive it hard till it run in

Originally Posted by marky522
My best reccomendation is go drive the car HARD... Get the brakes good and hot. It really helps on the new cars.

Mark
Old 05-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Makis
Instructor

I think the squeel is age related. As the calipers go older the pistons loose there flexibility and they do not function as when they were new. They do work OK under hard braking normally as the pistons are not seized. So is possible if the brakes are worked hard occasionally that the calipper recovers some of the flexibility. On my S2 maybe if I rotate the calipers around (front to back) I may be able to get rid of some of the squeel as the backs never get much action.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:02 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
ERRR no

run the brakes in under normal conditions, otherwise you'll glaze them

squeel uually comes from brake dust or vibration

as you've used what sounds like the correct brake dampers, did you clean all the brake dust out as well.

some brake/pads are more squeely than others

on the standard s2 OEM parts never ever had any problems with squeel.

either way, DONT drive it hard till it run in

Really, Where in the origonal post did you get the idea he was still under break in??? I was looking at it from the POV that the pads were already bed in. But i do thank you for correcting me. And exactly how many mile do you consider proper for break in??? 500 seems to be more than enough.

Mark
Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 AM
ExMainer
Instructor

I'm trying to remember back to the beginning of last winter, I spent quite a bit of time cleaning, and wire brushing the brake pad cavity, and cleaning the back surface of the brake pad before applying the dampers.
I thought 500 miles was sufficient enough too, but when it kept persisting, thats when I decided to see with you guys if I had missed somthing.

I'm going to give it til the end of this week and if its still as bad, I'm going to start from the beginning. I'm all set up for rear brakes, those may have to take a back seat until this is all taken care of.
Even went as far as to buy the pelican squeal pad inserts. At this point, I'll try anything.
I drive a lot in boston and sitting in stop and go traffic with those brakes will really give you a headache.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

The orginal post said:

"New pads and rotors in the front over the winter. Driving ever since and brakes squeal under slow braking only. Using the spider brake dampeners w/ wurth squeal stop. Missing somthing? I do have a small power steering leak that VERY slowly drips fluid(1 drip every month) and its in that area...

You then replied BEFORE he gave the answer that he'd done 500 miles

So my answer was and is correct as no mention was made that the break in period had been covered.

Originally Posted by marky522
Really, Where in the origonal post did you get the idea he was still under break in??? I was looking at it from the POV that the pads were already bed in. But i do thank you for correcting me. And exactly how many mile do you consider proper for break in??? 500 seems to be more than enough.

Mark
Old 05-27-2008, 01:24 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

500miles is plenty doode.

again some pads are better than others, I've had no probs with OEM and again the OEM spider spring dampers

Originally Posted by ExMainer
I'm trying to remember back to the beginning of last winter, I spent quite a bit of time cleaning, and wire brushing the brake pad cavity, and cleaning the back surface of the brake pad before applying the dampers.
I thought 500 miles was sufficient enough too, but when it kept persisting, thats when I decided to see with you guys if I had missed somthing.

I'm going to give it til the end of this week and if its still as bad, I'm going to start from the beginning. I'm all set up for rear brakes, those may have to take a back seat until this is all taken care of.
Even went as far as to buy the pelican squeal pad inserts. At this point, I'll try anything.
I drive a lot in boston and sitting in stop and go traffic with those brakes will really give you a headache.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:00 PM
ExMainer
Instructor

Drive home today was awful. A lot of looks, not the good kind.
Going out to clean the caliper, reseat the pads and reapply the adhesive for the spiders.
I like to keep these sort of jobs for the garage at home. I do my wrangler's brakes, grand cherokees brakes, and the s60 volvo's. I'd hate to go to my engine mechanic for this, but I just may need that finesse that makes the difference. What that difference is, I have no idea.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 AM
ArcticSteve
Instructor

I've stuck with Pagid on both the S2 and 924S and never had brake squeal. As soon as they go on I do about 7 progressively hard stops within about 2 miles, but I do not come to a full stop between stops. That is my break in. S2 has 200k miles on calipers and by the look of the vibration discs did not look rebuilt.

The only thing I can suggest is to put down some 100 grit or so sand paper on flat surface and rub the pads over that to deglaze them if they are in fact glazed.

I should add that it could be as simple as a nasty piece of grit attached itself to the pad as you installed them.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

I had Porsche OEM (made by Pagid) pads in my 968, pretty much brand new when I bought the car. They were way too noisy so I replaced them. I tried rebedding them but that did not help. I put some Bendix metallic pads I had laying around in the front and bought some PBR metallics for the rear but have not swapped the rears yet. The rears are not very noisy although they are the same pads. The Bendix pads cured the noise from the front. It was not a squeal problem but a grindy sound and sometimes a loud groan under light braking.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal