Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear center jacking point?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think jacking up the car by the transmission will kill the mount - isn't it interlocking? It'll be in compression anyway. One thing I did notice on the parts car when I dropped the transmission is that the two bolts that hold the transmission up were severely bent. Thinking about it now, I wonder if that was because it had been jacked up numerous times by the transmission. The bolts on my 951 were fine when I removed them, but I did jack it up using the transmission only long enough to get jackstands under it. I think I'll refrain from using the transmission again.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,
I live in an apartment, so i can only fit a small 2 ton jack from the sides, just to get clearance to slide in the bigger 3 ton jack under the x-member from the front of the car to place jack stands, due to parking space.

I doubt, even with the front on jack stands, that my small 2 ton jack would be able to lift the rear high enough from the sides to allow jack stands.

So, if i wish to use the big 3 ton jack, i would be better off jacking up the rear from behind the car, hence why i was asking if there is a rear point one could use to lif both rear wheels at the same time.

Last edited by hosrom_951; 05-21-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Guys,
I live in an apartment, so i can only fit a small 2 ton jack from the sides, just to get clearance to slide in the bigger 3 ton jack under the x-member from the front of the car to place jack stands, due to parking space.

I doubt, even with the front on jack stands, that my small 2 ton jack would be able to life the rear high enough from the sides to allow jack stands.

So, if i wish to use the big 3 ton jack, i would be better off jacking up the rear from behind the car, hence why i was asking if there is a rear point one could use to lif both rear wheels at the same time.
Isn't there a jack point behind each rear wheel? I thought I saw a "pad" area there.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Isn't there a jack point behind each rear wheel? I thought I saw a "pad" area there.
yes there is, there is one on each side, but those pads are rather high up so you need 2x4s or a jack with really high lift to lift the car
Old 05-21-2008, 05:42 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Those jack points are prone to failure.

Someone here has a picture of where to safely use jacks, those in the rear are not recommended.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsporsche
i guess the spare tire holder place would be a no no?

jmporsche944- that is a very sexxxxy car. very stealthy.
Thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most often, I'll use the side jack points, but when teching my car for a DE, since my car is lowered significantly, most often I need to jack up the rear of the car to get the 2-post lift's arms under my car. This is done by placing the jack under the transmission pumpkin. Most mechanics do this.

Oh, I do have a Kokeln solid transmission mount, so I am not too concerned about that being a weak point when lifting the car up...

-Z-man.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

I've been using the TT/TA mounting junction as a jack point for 5 years and have never snapped a TA mount or suffered any damage. I use a piece of slotted 944 bumper pad on my jack and it works great. It allows me to place jack stands very quickly. You will notice that the TA doesn't move when you start to raise the car. IMO it's so much easier and safer than using the central jack points doing it one side at a time and allows me to have the car closer to the wall for getting the other car into the garage while I work. YMMV
Old 05-23-2008, 02:26 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

+1 for the side jacking points.

I've used the trans lifting method a couple dozen times, but it makes me cringe each time I do it.

Just the possibility of splitting a trans case is enough reason to use the side jacking points. Lift in 'stages' if you need the entire car up in the air. I have two sets of jack stands...one medium, one large. I lift to the mediums, then lift again on those stands until I can get the big guys under each side.

Quick Reply: Rear center jacking point?