Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance Belt Gear Sleeves are stuck!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 04:06 PM
bendavis2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Balance Belt Gear Sleeves are stuck!?

So I'm doing a belt/front reseal/waterpump job...

I bought the Arnnworx tools and tensioners (thanks Bruce they're working great so far! and the shipping was so fast!)

But, the balance belt gears have the little covers/sleeves/collars that have alignment holes in them. These sleeves are offset on my gears; in other words, I can't get my nifty arnnwork wrench's pins into the holes on the gear. The holes in the gear are partially covered by the collar/sleeve.

I'm not sure if the sleeve is supposed to pop off, or should rotate freely. I've got an early '83 944, so I don't have the rectangular tang window on that sleeve, and the O is only partially showing on both gears. I don't think they've been removed sine the car was manufactured.

This all means that I can't get the gears off to remove my rear cover and finish the job. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but after hours of prodding and poking and complaining, I'm about out of ideas. I don't want to break the collars, and I haven't seen anyone else with this type of problem.

Any ideas?

Ben
Portland, OR
1983 Porsche 944 (N/A)
Old 05-22-2008, 05:00 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I guess I'm confused by your explanation. Can you explain it more with the attached photo? Do you mean the "Cover" in the photo is obstructing access to the "Holes"? These are all separate pieces, BTW.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2008, 05:14 PM
bendavis2
Advanced

Default better description - it's the cover that's misaligned

That's a great picture. Using the names from the picture, my cover is 5 degrees clockwise from where it ought to be. This means that the holes for the tool pins on the cover, and the holes for the tool pins in the gear itself, aren't aligned.

Since I can only get the tool pins into the 1/16th inch deep "cover holes", there isn't enough purchase to generate the torque necessary to loosen the balance belt gear mounting bolt. And the covers don't seem to rotate freely on either of my balance belt gears.

[thanks for the help so far, by the way!]
Old 05-22-2008, 05:54 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bendavis2
[thanks for the help so far, by the way!]
Well unfortunately I am not sure I can help you much.

The bolt applies clamping pressure against the collar on through to the cover against the gear, so the cover is unlikely to rotate with the bolt tightened.

There is an alignment tab attached to the cover, which fits into a slot of the gear, which I imagine is intended to align the cover so the holes show up properly, and perhaps to prevent the cover from rotating with the engine running.

I don't know, it sounds like either the wrong cover was put on (maybe the one from the other balance gear?) or the alignment tab got broken off.

Does the '0' show up through the hole near the alignment tab, like it does in the picture below? I guess not, if the cover is rotated 5 degress.

I think that's the correct location of the alignment tab, but my memory is hazy.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Stien
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen one that got the alignment tab broken off also, just try turning the cover with some gentle "force" or take that one off last and if you're replacing the whole rotating assembly there, you can just apply extra "force" to get it off.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:07 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try a gear puller.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:31 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Maybe try an air tool to remove the bolt. They're not extremely tight.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to align those holes! Maybe try holding the bolt with a wrench, and then use a punch to move the cover til it's aligned. If that doesn't work and you have a spare cover, just drill through it where you need to.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:15 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ben, I'm thinking your balance shaft gears are not correctly aligned. I don't believe the early 83 cars even have the tab and so it is even easier to mis-align them. Looking for those holes to be aligned is the first thing I look for when I pull the cover, because its a quick indication of a problem. Its pretty common too. Moe's suggestion of an impact is a good one, that is probably how it got put together. Even witha n impact you're going to have to get a hold of tha gear with something - I guess I would start with wrapping the old belt around the cog and and then try to get a grip with a big pair of channel-locks or maybe a pipe wrench. its not going to be pretty; but if worst comes to worst replacement cogs can be found - I might even have one or two laying around. Or you could just bend the collars out of the way and maybe I can scrounge up some replacements....bruce
Old 05-23-2008, 04:18 AM
bendavis2
Advanced

Default Problem solved

Well, it looks like whoever tightened the balance belt gear mounting bolt got carried away and during the tightening each cover slipped just far enough to keep my tool pins from being able to get in there to provide counter-torque.

I tried using a belt wrench (the kind you use for providing torque on pipes in plumbing) which didn't work. The belt slipped.

I tried drilling the holes on the cover enough that it would fit the tool pins, and that wasn't very successful and just felt wrong.

I ended up getting a huge set of channel-lock adjustable pliers and gripping the gear while a buddy wrenched on the bolt. It came off.

Once the bolt was loose, the cover rotated and I could adjust the holes and everything lined up fine.

Thanks for all the ideas guys! and guidance!

Quick Reply: Balance Belt Gear Sleeves are stuck!?