Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear headlight cover conversion kits available?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Clear headlight cover conversion kits available?

Hey all,

I kind of like the look of the old 924 racing vehicles that had headlamps under plexy (that didn't go up and down). Does anybody sell a retrofit kit that would fit a 951?

Actually doing some Christmas research... my loved ones want to know what I want...
Old 12-08-2002, 07:35 AM
Porsche5050
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thaddeus,
I liked the look too but when I really thought about it I concluded it would be something I'd be happy with for a short period of time, but later on regret ever doing it. There was a post a few months back, someone had done it and talked about how horrible the lighting was. Also, I hear they don't hold up well with time. If you still go for it please do update us on the developments. I do agree they look sharp though.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:39 AM
pikey7
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Club autosport in the UK do a complete kit. I know as I have one!

It's not a good one though!!!!!!!

I'm sure Rage did it with GT racing parts, and if I remember VW Jetta lights. You will have to make up some of the hardware yourseld though.

I'm gonna take some time to clean up the kit I have in the new year, and then fit them!
Old 12-08-2002, 08:42 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thaddeus, etc...

GT Racing has the clear covers, but they don't have any kind of kit, I don't think- kind of sucks- I've also heard (from somewhere on this list, that square headlights don't offer as good of lighting as round headlights- anyway, theyr'e #280A- 944/924 Clear Plastic Headlight Covers- $175.95/pair...

Another benefit to this is being able to remove the bar that runs across the front of the engine bay & all the other little misc parts involved in the pop-up mechanism, possibly allowing for a larger intercooler maybe? Not to mention the reduced Cx whenever you're running w/your headlights on
Old 12-08-2002, 08:50 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, I came across the GT racing thing last night. You can buy the headlight tub, too... with no lights. Insanely expensive all together.

I am going to have to think about this a lot. How would one cast clear plastic? Hmmm..
Old 12-08-2002, 09:24 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Hey Thad,

What ever became of that old rear deck/hatch project? I'm gonna try the same thing, as soon as I get over my procrastination problem... Maybee tommorrow.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:27 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Thaddeus,

I suppose you could cast up clear lenses but I think most places doing this "kit" heat form sheet stock, usually out of lexan.

I think a lister in Chicago did the GT Racing one. He wasn't very happy with the fit and finish and fact that he had to dig up all his own hardware.

Then you have the problem that all these plastic lenses suffer. After a while you will have scratched them up pretty good as well as milked them up with UV attack from the Sun and bulb. Even with UV filters they still go to pot eventually. So better get a spare set of the covers.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:48 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, unfortunately GT Racing seems to have some pretty high prices, but even worse, is that I too have heard pf problems w/fit & finish on some of their other items- this scares me a little- I've called them to ask a few questions, but have never gotten through...
Old 12-09-2002, 02:19 AM
rcldesign
Racer

I think its easier to get ahold of the pope on the phone than anyone at GT-racing... maybe you should contact a shop that can order that stuff for you and answer your questions - might save you some $$, and you won't have to deal with getting them on the phone.

...just my two cents.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:13 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Question

[quote]Originally posted by IceShark:
<strong>Thaddeus,

I suppose you could cast up clear lenses but I think most places doing this "kit" heat form sheet stock, usually out of lexan.

I think a lister in Chicago did the GT Racing one. He wasn't very happy with the fit and finish and fact that he had to dig up all his own hardware.

Then you have the problem that all these plastic lenses suffer. After a while you will have scratched them up pretty good as well as milked them up with UV attack from the Sun and bulb. Even with UV filters they still go to pot eventually. So better get a spare set of the covers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What if you took the clear lenses down to a local glass shop and see if they can make some out of real glass? The bends don't look very complicated on those. Wouldn't real glass last longer (re: UV, scratches, etc?).

Just curious. I like the look a lot, but the plastic covers have been holding me back as well.

Tifo
Old 12-09-2002, 07:36 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Iceshark please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you had a glass shop bend you some glass you probably would get some squirrely beams as the result.

I never had any trouble getting a-hold of someone from GT. In fact the last time I spoke to them I asked about the clear headlight kit and the man told me point blank that there was some "work" that you had to put into the kit to make it usable. He also divulged that he was trying to improve the kit so that those problems didn't exist. In the end I decided it wasn't worth the time and I wasn't really sure that I liked the look any better.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:43 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Actually, bending glass might be the way to go. You'd cut pieces to fit and bend them in a glass kiln. You might get squirrelly light distribution patterns, but with a little fiddling around with how the bulbs are aimed, etc., you might come out all right.

I don't have a glass kiln. I do have a bronze furnace that might be able to generate enough heat. I may experiment with some glass this weekend, just to see if I can bend it without introducing a lot of impurities or whatever.

cheers
Old 12-09-2002, 10:08 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, glass may work but that introduces a whole new set of problems such as light bending as noted. The sharp angle would make this even more of an issue.

Then you would have to pick a glass that would stand up fairly well to rocks, which means thick glass that is optical quality, not just any old sheet of glass. And maybe covering it with the 3M plastic film to help protect. And some sort of removable fastening system.

It all seems like a lot of work, especially if done on a small scale.

Then you need to dig up some headlights that work halfway decently. There isn't a lot of room for the lights to peek out if the beams need to shine out horizontally. And you can't plan on supplementing poor dipped/low beam headlights with the fogs/and or driving lights. Fogs don't put light far enough down the road and in the right places. The driving are pencil beams that have the twin problems of not a wide enough beam as well as blinding other drivers. You would need to just replace with a set of small headlights that would fit in the fog opening so now you are looking for 2 sets of oddball shaped headlights.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:30 AM
Dave E
Pro

I had the GT parts on my old car and the covers were hard to fit, and the headlight hardware was hard to make so it worked well. The covers do have some subtle but complex compound curves in them, and the part seems like it would be hard to duplicate. I never used the buckets from GT and will sell them cheap if anyone is interested.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:32 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

I have the complete set of covers and headlight buckets for sale on eBay right now, if any are interested...

Quick Reply: Clear headlight cover conversion kits available?