Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's Side Mirror Loose

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driver's Side Mirror Loose

Today I found my driver's side mirror to be loose and flopping around when going around corners. The spring loading that normally holds the mirror togeather is no longer there.

Can this be fixed or do I need a new mirror?
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Dinman_UT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's so crazy. I just got my 85.5 944 last week, and that's one of the problems that it has. Did you pull it apart in that picture, or is that how it hangs? On mine it swings on the pivot, but doesn't stay in place.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dinman_UT
That's so crazy. I just got my 85.5 944 last week, and that's one of the problems that it has. Did you pull it apart in that picture, or is that how it hangs? On mine it swings on the pivot, but doesn't stay in place.
I pulled it apart in that picture, it swings on the pivot and swings everytime I go around a corner.

If it wasn't for the fact that I like to keep things "factory" and I need for the mirror to fold, I would consider dilling a hole and using a screw to keep in place.

Any advice on fixing this would be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:44 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually have the same problem on my car right now and have been looking for a fix. I think there is a piece in there that can be replaced but I haven't found any instructions on how to actually do it. The mirrors do come apart because you can buy the pieces individually, but I have yet to try.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:44 PM
bluedevil
Instructor

There should be a nut to screw down but you will need to pull the mirror off. There is a way to do it and I would go to pelican parts for their tech area to see a diagram. Once you get that mirror out of the way you will see what I mean.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

86, so it's a late car... here we go...

1) grab a small screw driver, locate the hole under the mirror, look for the little notches in the ring, and spin it to release the mirror glass from the housing. remove wires, set aside.

2) under the mirror glass, you'll find 3 or 4 bolts holding the black rubber part/motor assembly to the body colored portion. remove those. with the mirror flopped around, on top of the base, you'll find a single allen key. unscrew that. congratulations, the mirror is off the car.

3) in the top part (I think) there is a nut that should be either loose or not attached based on the condition of the mirror. there is a hollow bolt looking thing with a spring around it in the other part. this runs through the "post" attaching the top to the bottom. compress it all together. USUALLY the hollow bolt is an allen key, but it'll have your motor/heater wires going through it so use some vice grips or something. Tighten said loose nut, apply loctite. congratulations. your mirror will no longer flop.

4)install is reverse of removal.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:12 AM
bluedevil
Instructor

Ya what he said,

Trending Topics

Old 04-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
86, so it's a late car... here we go...

1) grab a small screw driver, locate the hole under the mirror, look for the little notches in the ring, and spin it to release the mirror glass from the housing. remove wires, set aside.

2) under the mirror glass, you'll find 3 or 4 bolts holding the black rubber part/motor assembly to the body colored portion. remove those. with the mirror flopped around, on top of the base, you'll find a single allen key. unscrew that. congratulations, the mirror is off the car.

3) in the top part (I think) there is a nut that should be either loose or not attached based on the condition of the mirror. there is a hollow bolt looking thing with a spring around it in the other part. this runs through the "post" attaching the top to the bottom. compress it all together. USUALLY the hollow bolt is an allen key, but it'll have your motor/heater wires going through it so use some vice grips or something. Tighten said loose nut, apply loctite. congratulations. your mirror will no longer flop.

4)install is reverse of removal.
Much appreciated, I give it a go and report back.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:24 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

What he said as well, One thing left off is that you will need an electric pin pusher to get the plug out of the mirror itself. Once you have that out it will be a b*-- to get back together but will go. I tried on mine for about 2 hrs and gave up broght it to a shop to put back together (got taken to the cleaners as well for the repair).

Good luck.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
+100

This is the bitch about this job.
The inside of this bolt is actually a triple square ("cheesehead") and with the wires running through it, doesn't matter anyway....you can't get anything IN it to tighten anyway, 'til you pull the wires out....which isn't an option, as you'll see......

Good luck............I had to do this recently, too, and Geoff's write up is spot on.....
Old 05-01-2008, 03:12 AM
Dinman_UT
Advanced

I think there's something I'm missing about spinning the locking ring inside the mirror. I've also checked the write-up on Clark's Garage, but still don't understand what I'm supposed to do with the notches. Is there a certain direction the mirror should be facing for it to line up with the hole under the mirror? And which way am I supposed to spin it? I'm sorry it I sound like an idiot, but after trying to find the right notch for 20 minutes and cutting myself with a screwdriver, I just want to fix this stupid thing. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:18 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its been a while since I've been in there, its like a bionet fitting, you've got to turn it just a little and the mirror glass will come off, I used a mirror to see what I'm doing in there.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Which are you reffering. You need to look at the bottom of the rubber part. There is a small egg shped hole. Put the screw driver in there and push it to the side. Only turns about 1/8 of a turn.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

if you tilt the bottom of the mirror out, towards the rear of the car, you'll be able to see the mechanism, but you won't be able to reach it through the hole. if you tilt the top of the mirror towards the rear of the car, you'll be able to see the top of the lock ring. you can move that with the screwdriver too, but there are no notches to make it easy. I recommend tilting the bottom out as far as it will go and getting a good look at what you're trying to accomplish before you attempt it again. once you see the notches, you'll see what you're trying to line up. it'll make it much easier. as Black said, about 1/8 of a turn, and I'd even say that's too much. I'd lean more towards 1/12 or 1/16.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:30 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Geoff I think you are more on. 1/8 is to far. It barely turns at all. Geoff has the best thoughts on this. Folow his direction and you will get it.

Quick Reply: Driver's Side Mirror Loose