Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I lost interest in my 944, sad, sad day.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 06:24 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've auto x'd quite a bit in my good friends miata and while it is fun, it really made me appreciate my 951 every time I drove the miata. The miata just doesn't have the power and the rattles that you hear in the miata are many more and much more annoying than the rattles in any 944.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Stien
Burning Brakes

I fell in love with the miata, and I'll make more money parting the 944 than I would ever hope in selling it whole, so damn. One day maybe.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the miata. I'd never drive a miata though or a bmw z3, both such girly man cars.

Also to me a 944 has much better build quality than an old miata. I've seen lots of miatas and they look like plastic toys like many japanese cars. Also to me the looks of the 944 are great, can't say that about the miata. I picture a a blonde girl with a little dog in her purse driving the miata lol.

as for reliability, my 944 was in decent condition not mint and I've done all the basic maintenance to it which wasn't crazy expensive as I did it all myself and it's been super reliable. I dont' worry about it breaking down and I drive it everyday as my only car. If you buy a junkyard 944 you'll hate it.

I don't get why people think a miata or other japanese car of the same condition is more reliable than a 944. Parts obviously cost more on a 944 and labour costs more also so poor / cheap people who own 944s just drive them till they blow up and then complain that it's unreliable and old.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:21 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Yummybud924
I don't get why people think a miata or other japanese car of the same condition is more reliable than a 944. Parts obviously cost more on a 944 and labour costs more also so poor / cheap people who own 944s just drive them till they blow up and then complain that it's unreliable and old.
I think it because I have owned both for several years. Guess what? The Miata is more reliable! Less expensive, too. That's not to say that my 944 has been a maintenance nightmare because it hasn't, but the Miata has proven to be easier on the wallet and the wrenches.

I agree with you on the build quality. The Miata does have far more rattles and shakes than the 944. This is no doubt a combination of Porsche putting more time/effort into construction and the fact that convertibles are naturally more prone to rattles and shakes than coupes.

BB.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 265 Posts

I rent a s*#t load of cars through the year for business tavel & luckily I never rent the standard stuff. One trip last year was to Newport Beach & I had to drive down to San Diego for a meeting - Hertz didn't have any 350z's at John Wayne airport, so I decided to try a miata as I'd heard some good things about the latest model.

I have to say that I was quite impressed with the car's handling & feel, though I noticed tht I was attracting completely the wrong kind attention & found myself wanting to redecorate my house when I returned home.....

Anyone need a haircut?
Old 04-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think people are so insecure its incredible. I don't give s $hit what I drive. I drive everything from a 10 ton forklift, liter bikes, minibus, all the way to a minivan and a miata. I think people who are miataphobic are people with inadquate self confidence. I could care less what you think when I am driving a miata. I think people who drive 944s are wussies since my manly forklift can crush one like a tin can and I have crushed a few by running over whatever is left after I cut them up.

BB, why waste your time trying to explain something to people who have no clue and have never driven a miata because of their own insecurities? To them, getting in a different car makes them less of a "man" and that says something about their manliness and lack of confidence.

Stein, sell your wheels and you can get $600+ and the LSD tranny should sell on ebay for $650+. Just the LSD unit inside the tranny is worth $400 so even if you scrap the car to a metal salvage yard, you will get $300 for the steel.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't drive a miata because I don't like the looks of it not because I'm not confident enough to drive one.

one of my neighbours had a silver miata, it was a newer model which looked pretty nice (not sure of the year). I just don't like the old ones, they look like they are plastic toys.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:20 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by jstand22
The miata comes with a manhood delete....if you're into that.
Obviously you have never owned a good Miata. It will run circles around an NA and start every time. If you think manhood is determined by the badge on the hood you know nothing about driving a well sorted car. Sorry, but the Miata is one of the best single purpose production sports cars ever built and will be running for years, can you say that about your 944?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nothing wrong w/ a nice miata. Just saw one tonite w/ a 302 ford small block in it! That being said i sure do have fun passing them on the track in my 944.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Stien
Burning Brakes

I'm willing to work with people to sell this car, I don't think I have the time to part it out but I know someone does
Old 04-13-2008, 12:12 AM
speedtek
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes I race a Miata at the auto-x. I wish our track was big enough for the 924s. But hopefully one day when we get our real race track back I will turn my 924S into a 924GTS. I feel safer in the 924 than the Miata.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Fractured
Advanced

Stien,

My advice is to sell the car and not part it out, if you're not going to keep it that is. At least the lucky new owner will have the benefit of all the hard work you put into it.

Sorry, but Miatas aren't chick cars. (By the way, the 911 guys are saying the same **** about Boxsters in the Race forum.) If you don't like the looks, fine. But you can't argue with a fun-to-drive car. If you've never driven a Miata, how can you reasonably comment on it? Miatas are arguably the best-shifting cars made, and I've never heard that comment from a made of a 944. (By the way, I own an '89 944 NA which I dearly love, but shifting isn't its strong point—steering is.) Get more secure.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

is tonight 'lets get all the small ***** insecure ******** out' night?

I had a manly mullet he man GTO, a gay mans Miata and an Imasnootydouche 944S2 at the same time. Say what you want insecure porsche drivers, the miata was more fun to drive than the GTO or the S2. But for the fact that I wanted a four seat convertible, I would still have my miata instead of my poser 330I convertible.

I can compare the three cars to each other, have compared them to one another, and in the future will compare them. To say the miata isnt built as well as the 944 is just plain ignorant. no, just plain retarded. I belive the words 'maintenance' and 'reliability' is a major part of 'build quality'.

I realize why i dont hang here as much.

I saw what i am pretty sure was a miata fly about thirty feet in the air today, bounce off a concrete wall and within a minute of landing the driver got out and gave us a thumbs up.

If i was going to race instead of DE, the porsche would be gone.

now as for your original question, I think beer burner summed it up.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved my Miata. I had a '92. Owned for 6 years. All I did was a few oil changes. Before I sold it I finally replaced the accessory belt, and Brakes/Rotors.

The Miata's are built a LOT cheaper then the 944, and you will notice a difference.

I will note: As mentioned, gay men should try driving Porsches, and Straight ones should drive Miata's. My Miata was a pos, but women still loved it, and wanted a ride anytime they saw it. I don't think I've ever gotten a real comment about the Porsche from anyone who wasn't a guy.

I can't remember, but before I got my 944, I read a great thread here about the different experience between the two. I highly recommend a search and read on that.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:23 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, but the Miata is one of the best single purpose production sports cars ever built and will be running for years, can you say that about your 944?

Not to point out the obvious, but it has already been running for 23 years. That would be approximately double the average lifespan of a vehicle in the U.S. I would call that "running for years."

And I really like the Miata - it's just a hard car to fit in when you're over 6'2" or 6'3".

Micah

Quick Reply: I lost interest in my 944, sad, sad day.