Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I lost interest in my 944, sad, sad day.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Stien
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I lost interest in my 944, sad, sad day.

So I just bought a Miata and I'm already thinking about selling my 944, which I've put countless dollars and hours into and only driven 50 miles in. I'm too poor for it and I can at least admit that. It's almost ready to be on the road which is the worst part. I'm probably going to finish it and sell it. My question is: would it be better to sell it or part it? It's got an LSD, dirty *** fuchs, the paint is a mess and it has a dented fender. I just did the belts, balljoints, new rotors, new pads, new ebrake pads and cables, comes with manual sunroof conversion kit, used white valence and H4 lighting kit with Hella E-codes. Any ideas? This may turn into a for sale thread, but not yet!
Old 04-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Cking1975
Intermediate

I would do my best to hold onto the car if you think you can keep it. The question is...why did you buy a Miata...unless you are the girl in the photo, then that would make sense. i don't see the point in finishing it if you are going to part it...? The LSD itself is worth around 1000 USD.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:21 PM
jstand22
Pro

The miata comes with a manhood delete....if you're into that.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:30 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Put a V8 on that Miata and hold on!

I don't know, but if a car is draining you emotionally it's not really worth it... no matter what the emblem says.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:33 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Ignore the "girly" comments, as they come from people who really don't have a clue. There's a reason why my Miata will become the primary track vehicle versus the 944... (see avatar) And besides, if the stereotypes are accurate I'd say that at least your unit will grow in size by dumping the Porsche.

Anyway, unless you really need the money I'd say hold on to the 944. It's a good learning experience and if you enjoy this kind of tinkering it's always a good distraction. Plus, so long as you have 944 you can still tell your friends that you own a Porsche, which is probably why many of us have these cars in the first place.

Really, they're both great cars at what they do. But as much as I prefer driving my 944, I just can't argue with the bulletproof reliability of a Miata. Unless you got a shortnose engine, in which case, change the crankbolt/woodruff key yesterday.

BB.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:39 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, I should probably give some feedback to the "sell it or part it" question, what with that being the reason for your post.

I've never parted a car out, but from what I gather, it's all a tradeoff. You'll likely get more money parting it out but will increase your time/effort by dealing with transactions, removing/shipping parts, etc. And then you have to do something with the remaining carcass that you don't get rid of.

BB.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got nothing against the miata and I know it's a great track car...
BUT... it comes with the barbie house... soo yeah... you'll never see my skinny white as$ in one.

Trending Topics

Old 04-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Stien
Burning Brakes

Alright alright, I can take the girly car jokes. It is amazing to drive. The fact that I can beat on it without having to worry about it breaking is definite plus. I've learned a lot from working on the 944, and I'll definitely buy another one, that is in pristine condition this time (learned my lesson the hard way). I ended up putting the same amount of money into the car as I would've payed up front, but that is all behind me... But I'm ready to part with it because I know I can't support the habit. I need to save my money for school. So I'll finish up my current project (the ebrake cables) and try to sell it. Any ideas on what it's worth?
Old 04-12-2008, 06:00 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BeerBurner
Ignore the "girly" comments, as they come from people who really don't have a clue.
A Miata is not really a girly car, it's a hairdresser car. This serves two benefits... First, if you ever have trouble finding a job just drive to the nearest hair salon, learn a lisp, and you'll be employed. The second is that Miatas are chick magnets, although they are only willing to come near you since they think you're gay and thus they are safe.
There's a reason why my Miata will become the primary track vehicle versus the 944... (see avatar)
Because the Miata is disposable?
Plus, so long as you have 944 you can still tell your friends that you own a Porsche, which is probably why many of us have these cars in the first place.
Some of us drive Porsches that are capable of getting out of their own way, so there are other reasons.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:02 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stien
Alright alright, I can take the girly car jokes. It is amazing to drive. The fact that I can beat on it without having to worry about it breaking is definite plus.
No, you just don't have to worry about the expense of fixing it. Find a Spec Pinata racer and ask them how often Miatas break... it's pretty constant.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:05 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyingDog
A Miata is not really a girly car, it's a hairdresser car. This serves two benefits... First, if you ever have trouble finding a job just drive to the nearest hair salon, learn a lisp, and you'll be employed. The second is that Miatas are chick magnets, although they are only willing to come near you since they think you're gay and thus they are safe.
A foot in the door is a foot in the door is a foot in the door. But yeah, I've had far more women approach me and say "Nice car", "Can I get a ride?", etc. in the Miata than I ever had in the 944. The 944 seems to attract a lot of guys, tho...

Because the Miata is disposable?
Sorta. But more because it's just dirt cheap. C'mon, do I really need to remind you of the look on your face when I mention the cost of my various parts?

Some of us drive Porsches that are capable of getting out of their own way, so there are other reasons.
Yeah, but you're responding to a post in the 944 forum!

BB.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:05 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I like miatas although I wouldn't want to buy one.. there are other cars I like more for the money. I think a rennlister had a sweet euro 944 a couple years back and sold it to build a turbo miata. The vids he posted made the car look like a hell of a lot of fun

Do you mean beating on a 944 like dumping the clutch at 10K rpm or running it to 6K rpm in gears 1-4? If you mean the latter 944s just love it, I'm never worried about blowing the engine
Old 04-12-2008, 06:09 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Jeremy Clarkson wouldn't be in that group.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:12 PM
ktel
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Plus, so long as you have 944 you can still tell your friends that you own a Porsche, which is probably why many of us have these cars in the first place.
I don't think so my friend... I believe most people here love their car not because it is a Porsche, but because it is a 944...

BTW miata is a cool car, I 've driven it a lot, but can't be compared with a 944.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:17 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

It absolutely can be compared to a 944. They're both small, inexpensive sports cars with good handling and no power (momentum cars). They fill the same niche, although they take different approaches to it. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but in the end, to arbitrarily discount one or the other on account of a stereotype (as I was pointing out with my post that you quoted) is, well, stupid.

That's not to say that you have to like one car or the other. But if people are going to justify their reasoning based on stereotypes rather than actual facts and experience, well, it just goes to show that we Porsche guys have fanboys amongst our ranks as well.

BB.

Quick Reply: I lost interest in my 944, sad, sad day.