Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lindsey Racing Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:45 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Lindsey Racing Intake

Has anybody ever fitted a Lindsey Racing intake manifold to their N/A? It says on their website that it would fit (which makes sense given the identical bolt pattern on the heads) but i'm wondering if there's a way to bolt it in to the factory airbox or if I would also need to get a MAF setup to make it work.

Yes, I know that the N/A 2.5l 8v engine is not the most tunable motor in the world, but I'm just trying to explore some ideas. Thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 PM
philcav7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting.

Replace the intake but keep the snorkel, airbox, and AFM?

...I don't get it.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:20 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

trying to figure out if I could do it at all incrementally.

Also, I'm not sure that I would want to get rid of the snorkel and airbox - seems like the cold air that the snorkel gets would be better than a filter in the engine compartment.

I think that 951max has a MAF kit that bolts right in where the factory AFM is as well, which might be something I would look into in conjunction with an intake. If anybody has more info on any of this, please let me know - I'd really appreciate any insight/suggestions that people may have for what options are out there.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 PM
philcav7
Racer

With the 944(951), there are many other places to look(start) as far as upgrades before the intake. Without several other major upgrades I cant imagine the intake would offer any performance bolted on to an otherwise stock car. Maybe someone has the flow charts of the head, factory intake, and AFM/filter housing to validate this.

If you are doing a total rebuild and want to shift the powerband to a higher RPM the intake may be an option.

The Scivision MAF can use the factory filter/snorkel assembly.

What are your goals for the vehicle?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

I'm looking to make a fun street/auto-x/DE car...basically, something I can livably drive on the street (except in the snow) and take to the track and enjoy there as well. So I don't want to give up stereo, a/c, and similar things (which unfortunately rules out a SFR supercharger), but I do have aftermarket seats, I'm thinking about getting a rollbar, and I've removed some sound deadening material.

My car isn't exactly otherwise stock...I've already upgraded/replaced most of the suspension and brakes and I'm trying to see what I could do to get a little more acceleration. I currently have MSDS headers (which are ceramic coated), throttle cam, and a 944 exhaust (which is a little bit larger than the factory 924S exhaust). I've also taken care of maintenance stuff (eg filters, oil, plugs, distributor, wires, belts, clutch, etc). I've kicked around a lot of different ideas for where to go from here, but right now, I'm thinking that I want to stick to warming over the 8v and see where that gets me

- Head rebuild with mild port/polish (LR Stage 1 or 2 probably)
- New cam (maybe)
- LR Intake manifold (I like the improved flow and especially the better balance of airflow to all cylinders)
- Scivision MAF with airbox/snorkel (unless somebody can prove that a cone filter can deliver comparable performance...cone filter obviously looks sweet, but it's not getting cool air)
- LR Exhaust (they make one that bolts right up to the MSDS headers, which I really like)
- MaxTune/MaxTronic ECU management (with custom tuned map)
- LR fuel rail kit, balanced injectors, stainless braided fuel lines, vacuum lines (clean up the engine bay, improve reliability)

That's what I'm thinking for now...I know that I won't be building a world beater or smoking 911s with it. If I find myself with a ton more money for the project, maybe I'll get high compression pistons as well, but I imagine that I'll be able to get a fair bit more horsepower out of this (20-25 more hp at the wheels would be nice, but I realize that that may be a bit ambitious). Enough to go a little faster, but not enough to grenade my transmission. Does that seem to make sense? Can anybody recommend a particular order?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 11:16 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I talked to David lindsay about the intake because Im in the middle of a performance rebuild myself. HE told me he has not tested the intake on any NA's yet, He is sending it to another engine builder who deals with NA's and he is going to test it, He said he will no in a couple months if there is any improvment in performance.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok for performance, Start with the most restrictive stuff. First the AFM has to go. Then Port polish the head like a LR stage 2, Then get a cam. That should open things up a little. Then your gonna need a DME upgrade or a piggy back fuel controler. The only other way to add more power is to open up the engine Bore, it stroke it, or get higher CR pistons.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:53 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

heres my take-

do the stuff that will get you the most bang for the buck..

-MAF- noticeable gain-
-berry chips- you will certainly see improvement here
-free flowing filter- ok
-exhaust - always an improvement
-flowing the head- well i doubt you'll see much improvement besides upper rpm range
-lindsey fuel rail kit- i talked to Dave and he told me they dont even bother w/ that rail unless they are making upwards of 450hp- stick w/ the stock rail unless you like blowing $1200 on fancy looking stuff
-throttle cam- love em!

i say spend your money on suspension and brakes- you'll see much more on the track from these - then go to the stuff above. Maybe if you can get your hands on a cam from milledge it would be nice but they are steep price as well.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:20 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

thanks everyone...I'm interested to see what they find with the Lindsey intake on an N/A. In terms of the MAF, does a cone filter affect engine performance (good or bad) at all? Or is any difference outweighed by the benefit of ditching the barn door?

oh, and xsboost, I agree completely - my suspension was the first thing that I really modified on the car and while I'm really happy with the feel of the car, I'd like to pick up a few more ponies to really help the suspension shine
Old 04-04-2008, 02:12 AM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

things you should keep : stock headers, intake manifold
things you should change: stock cam, headers back exhaust, DME chip
the afm is restrictive by .03 milibar...and there are ways to reduce that

with 9.7:1 compression and the stock cam you won't make any power, I would suggest finding a 2.7L or a european motor
Old 04-04-2008, 10:25 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

thanks everyone - a couple more questions

does anybody by any chance have a sound clip or impressions of the Lindsey exhaust for the 944 na? I'm looking for some more power, but I don't want to make my car unbearably loud or obnoxious. Are there other relatively reasonably priced options for pre-made systems? I already have MSDS headers, so something that could bolt up to that would be nice

I imagine that eventually, higher compression would be needed, but euro pistons are pricey and good condition, high compression motors don't seem easy to find
Old 04-04-2008, 11:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

i had a new cat welded onto my car and in addition to being a little louder and raspier my butt dyno tells me i might have gotten another horse or two. i checked out the design of the stock cat compared to my new one and it seems the newer one allowed for more airflow. the car pulls HARD in high rpms, where the car used to run out of steam around 6000RPM it keeps steamrolling to the rev limiter.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:05 AM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Originally Posted by xsboost90
heres my take-

do the stuff that will get you the most bang for the buck..

-MAF- noticeable gain-
-berry chips- you will certainly see improvement here
-free flowing filter- ok
-exhaust - always an improvement
-flowing the head- well i doubt you'll see much improvement besides upper rpm range
-lindsey fuel rail kit- i talked to Dave and he told me they dont even bother w/ that rail unless they are making upwards of 450hp- stick w/ the stock rail unless you like blowing $1200 on fancy looking stuff
-throttle cam- love em!
I totally agree with your list if we were talking about the 951. But as to the statement on the chips, here's a quote from Russell on his forum:
As you can see, the HP curve is 8-12HP above stock all the way across the board and the total HP gain is 5HP, with 7Lbs TQ increase.
I'm not so sure that 'you will certainly see improvement here' is the case.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:16 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

so 944max chips are a 5hp/7lbs ft gain for peak and 8-12 hp gain elsewhere? is that at the wheels?

if so, I'm definitely very interested - 12 hp at the wheels is almost a 10% gain
Old 04-05-2008, 11:55 AM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Originally Posted by white924s
so 944max chips are a 5hp/7lbs ft gain for peak and 8-12 hp gain elsewhere? is that at the wheels?

if so, I'm definitely very interested - 12 hp at the wheels is almost a 10% gain
It reads more like a 5hp gain with a shift in power curve.

Quick Reply: Lindsey Racing Intake