Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are these and....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these and....?

Hey, are these things, w/big black arrows pointing to them, related to the brake pad wear sensors? If so, can they be removed, easily, assuming one has removed the sensors from the pads themselves? I've had those off a long time & these things have so many wires in them- they're just ugly & unneccessary since I've removed the sensors already, IMO, & I'd like to pull them. I'm wondering if there's anything at all I'd hurt by doing this? Is there any possibilty that they are wired to something else, important, that I'd mess up by just cutting them out? I have to ask b/c I've screwed things up before... BTW- this pic is not of my car- not sure who's it is, but it had a nice engine bay & was easy to show the pieces I'm referring too...

Also, where are the air bag sensors anyway, or more to the point, what do they look like?

thanks a lot,
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2008, 09:22 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pad wear sensor harness. Disconnect the harness and remove the wire from there down to the brakes. The other end connects to the engine wiring harness, so unless you want to mess with that just loop it and zip tie it out of the way.

The airbag sensors are up under the ends of the dash and look like this...
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks man! I just didn't want to pull them & then find my car not starting b/c of some weird wiring deal they may have used. I wouldn't put it past Porsche, to be honest, as I've experienced a few of their other, more unique, standards... I'd like to pull the airbag sensors too- assuming the bags are gone, would this hurt anything? I know about jumping the wires together at the orange box, to be able to remove it completely- is there anything else to worry about? Also, I thought there were sensors at the front bumper- each side & center maybe? Thanks a lot for the pic of the ones in the dash...
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim-

We tried this last night, BUT, evidentlly, the ABS is tied in w/these... How do I know which parts to delete? At the very least, there's a ground in there & then, it appears, on the old Turbo S Koni, the ABS was grounded to the shock & there is a little plastic case for the cylindrical looking thing. I'd really like to delete it all, but don't want to lose my ABS. Any more info would be greatly appreciated....

thanks again,
Old 04-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

You CANNOT delete the wiring, if you want to keep the ABS. The only part/component that you can remove, is the wear sensor itself, that plugs into the connector attached to the lower front strut body and rear trailing arm. And you cant actually just remove the wear sensor, you have to cut the wires and splice them, to keep the dash warning light from illuminating.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jim- I really wanted rid of that mess of wires, but not at the expense of my ABS- is the entire cylindrical thing & all of the wires coming out of, for ABS or is some of it for the brake pad sensors? Can one remove the brake pad wear stuff & KEEP the ABS?

Also, when those wires start to crack, etc, can one easily replace them, one by one? Mine aren't looking too good & ALL of the insulation is gone.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Robby,

There are 3 connection points in each of those plug connectors, one is for ABS, one is for the wear pad sensor, and the other is a dummy. For cars w/o ABS, there is only one live connector for the wear sensor, the other two plugs are dummies.

The wiring sections and connectors are injection molded, so there is not much that can be removed without cutting things apart, which would likely look worse than what you have. Yes, you can run separate wires from the ABS wiring harness in the engine bay, straight down to the ABS sensor plugs coming off the calipers, but I think you would just be asking for grounding/shorting faults by not using the factory connection plugs.

You could replace them, but I recall the wiring sections, that go from the connection at the shock tower to the connection at the front strut are around $150 each, new.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:25 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry Robby, I always forget about ABS since neither of my cars had it...

Quick Reply: What are these and....?