Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Turbo Cabrio engine compartment "clean up."

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile 944 Turbo Cabrio engine compartment "clean up."

After some big doses of elbow grease in two long sessions and some new parts, the 951 Cab's engine compartment "restoration" is coming along. Most of the grime came off with a citrus degreaser, but for the more resistant build up I used a mild solvent which worked quite well.

I didn't take everything apart and get the hardware plated like others have, since it really just needed a good cleaning, but among other things I followed KevinCNC's advice and bought a new coolant tank. While I was in there, I threw in a new brake reservoir and washer tank. New white plastic really freshens up the look.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:11 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i need a new brake resevoir- that looks good.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get the privlege of parking in the infield grass between pit road and the grandstands at the Food Lion Autofair next month at Lowe's Speedway and will be doing a major engine clean up for that event. Did you have to spray and scrub, or just spray and rinse with the stuff you used?
Old 03-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Yes, pretty much spray and scrub with a toothbrush, a larger brush and assorted rags. I used degreaser first, then scrubbed, then solvent on the areas with build up, then scrubbed, then water from a spray bottle, then wiped over it with rags, etc. Quite a bit of scrubbing was involved!
Old 03-16-2008, 01:02 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luis- How hard was the brake reservoir install, and where did you find one? I replaced my coolant tank, then my washer tank looked nasty, so I replaced it. Now my brake reservoir looks nasty.

What's the procedure for it?
Old 03-16-2008, 01:16 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great Luis!
Old 03-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Hey CarbonRevo. The brake reservoir isn't bad to replace, but brake fluid is pretty nasty stuff! If I had to do it again, I would surround the darned thing with aluminum foil to keep the spillage contained.

Replacement is essentially yanking it off the 2 grommets in the master cylinder, but even if you empty it out well enough with a syringe, there's still going to be some fluid spilling out so I would cover everything around it with foil if I had to do it again. The other tough part is getting the hose off, since it will pretty much be cemented to the reservoir nozzle under the hose clamp.

I went ahead and replaced the hose, but that involves removing it from the clutch master cylinder and for that you'll have to get the vacuum depression valve and connected hoses out of the way to gain access to the clutch master cylinder in the firewall.

If your car still has the factory crimp-on hose clamps, these are extremely tough to cut off. If you use wire cutters, make sure they're good ones. When you pull the firewall end of the hose off the clutch cylinder, watch out because brake fluid will come flying out also. Again, it's probably best to cover the area with foil.

My brake reservoir was from the dealer, but you can get one from any of the Rennlist sponsor vendors. I also replaced the 2 grommets and the clutch cylinder fitting, but in hindsight it was probably overkill. Both parts looked fine and could've been reused. Not a big deal to replace, just messy!
Old 03-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Looks great Luis!
Thanks Kevin. You know your legendary engine detail thread was the inspiration behind this.

Now I need to set some time aside to take stuff apart and get the hardware plated, like you did!
Old 03-16-2008, 01:42 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Damn. To do that before my coming car show or not. I don't have a power brake bleeder, and really don't want to bleed these damn things the manual way.

I thought the reservoir was going to be solid mounted with the metal piece under it, but I guess not.

Doesn't sound too bad. I'll do it at a time when I don't need the car in running order (car show is april 5th). I'll let you know how it goes, or if I need help!
Old 03-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Just curious Luis, does your car have M030?
Old 03-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Lookin' good!
Old 03-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Damn. To do that before my coming car show or not. I don't have a power brake bleeder, and really don't want to bleed these damn things the manual way.
Don't let that keep you. I made my own, as explained in this classic thread:

Make your own pressure bleeder for cheap!

Originally Posted by Bonestock951S
Just curious Luis, does your car have M030?
Not the suspension. Just the wheels, LSD and front brakes. Suspension on the cabs in general was more conservative than on the coupes, even for the Turbo version.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Well whoop dee doo! So.. you have a beautiful brand new-looking engine bay, with all that new fancy-schmancy white plasticy stuff, that most people would kill for.....It's not like you're making me jealous or anything!

--Lizard

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo Cabrio engine compartment "clean up."