Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:22 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Default A wheel question

I asking this for a non RL friend. He has an 87 924S. He picked up some used wheels for it and has an issue with the front fitment. The fronts are 964 Cup2's in 16X6 and the rears are 968 Cup2's in 16x7. The wheel centers will not clear the front dust cap flange and the wheels can't be machined enough to clear. Has anyone ever tried brazing the straight sided inner part to the dome of the dust cap from inside and removing the outer flat part of the lip? The wheels will clear everything but it's that outer flange of the cap that interferes. He has to retain a cap for the early style speedo drive of the hollow spindle. He was hoping to drop the front an inch or so and having to use a spacer for hub clearance would be a problem. Is there any other method to provide that front cap clearance?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2008, 06:26 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

6mm spacer.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:05 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
6mm spacer.
Thanks Dan. He was already running a 6mm spacer and still had at least 1/8" - 3/16" of contact with the dust cap flange and rear of wheel area. I wonder if the offset he has from the 964 Cup version is different or something? I haven't seen the set-up so I'm working with verbal info.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:40 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Let me see if I'm understanding you right... The wheels won't go on because the grease cap's outer lip is sticking out (radially) too far? Or is the cap sticking out (axially) too far?

Since I'm not sure I understand I can only offer generic advice: maybe slight shaving on the wheel, and slight shaving of the cap, and a thin spacer, might add up to enough clearance?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:55 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Let me see if I'm understanding you right... The wheels won't go on because the grease cap's outer lip is sticking out (radially) too far? Or is the cap sticking out (axially) too far?

Since I'm not sure I understand I can only offer generic advice: maybe slight shaving on the wheel, and slight shaving of the cap, and a thin spacer, might add up to enough clearance?
I think the domed part of the dust cap clears OK, it's the flat part of the lip on the cap that is keeping the wheel from bolting up flush. His intention was to lower the front an inch and w/ the spacer he will rub if lowered. He tried to have the rear of the wheels machined to clear and was told by a respected shop not to do it. That's why I was wondering if anyone have modified the cap only. Those flat top wheel wells on a 924 must make it harder to stuff a larger wheel or he just has a goofy 964 offset or something.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The problem is that the flap part and the dome is one piece folded over. If you cut that part off, the dome will separate. I left the cap off and used the wheel cap after I siliconed it shut. There is a way where you don't need the spacer and still have the wheel fit. I cut a bevel into the aluminum hub only a little bit leaving most of it intact so the wheel is still hub centric.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:04 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Legoland951
The problem is that the flap part and the dome is one piece folded over. If you cut that part off, the dome will separate. I left the cap off and used the wheel cap after I siliconed it shut. There is a way where you don't need the spacer and still have the wheel fit. I cut a bevel into the aluminum hub only a little bit leaving most of it intact so the wheel is still hub centric.
How did you solve the speedo drive issue if the FL dust cap is removed? Also did you need any sort of sealant or gasket behind the wheel to keep water and debris out of the bearing area? If I had a spare dust cap I would fully braze the inner seam at that fold and then cut off the lip. I suppose that the next problem would be the center cap for the wheel not fitting under the dust cap without a spacer. If you have a pic or crude drawing of how you had the hub trimmed that would help also.

My solution to him was more elegant; just put his old PD's back on it and be happy!
Old 02-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its an 87 so no speedo drive. Never had debris problems.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:58 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Its an 87 so no speedo drive. Never had debris problems.
Ah...944, not 924S
Old 02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lego said right. Its not the diameter of the dust cap, but the inside of the wheel is tapered toward the outer center cap area. The inward taper of the wheel can be machined a little and it will fit. I have done this (sic) with a hole saw on a drill. It should only take a millimeter or so. Also, I was able to get more clearance by taping the dust caps outermost edge with a ballpeen hammer inward toward the rotor while slowly turning the entire hub. When it all fits together, the center cap will most likely not fit. I cut the plastic retaining tabs off the center caps. Then I drilled two small (1mm) holes through the outer edge of the center cap into the wheels inner lip/stop for the center cap. Then I simply screwed two very small chrome plated screws into the cap/wheel to hold the cap on. And the drivers side center cap - I simply drilled a 3mm hole in the center of the cap to make room for the speedo cable end protruding from the hub. At a glance it is completely unnoticable. My boxter 16"wheels had perfect offset for my 924s. If I remember it was like 53.8mm stock, 55mm boxster. With the added wheel diameter it works perfect. Mine rubbed on the rear fenders but I was able to roll the fenders only about 2mm and problem solved. If needed I will post some pics. Let me know.

Quick Reply: A wheel question