Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche support vehicle rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:33 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

theres too many holes in the block O:

the block looks good though stripped down. the 5.4 is an iron-block right? time for booostttt

how are you gonna fix the cam problem?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:25 AM
tod84944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lot to be said for a father and son that would tear down a engine like that and get it back together. Very Very good work!!!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 02:24 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those are 10k mile ford lightning heads on it right now. the cams are fine on it.

as for boost, when funds permit we are going to do a lightning upper end swap.
and for those who dont know. that means the same motor thats in the ford GT. will be in our truck.

yup. iron. rusts like a **** in just hours.

thanks todd! ( even though im doing most of the work COUGH COUGH)
Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 99 with the same motor, 160k on the ticker and still runs great! This by far has to be one of the biggest PITA motors to work on though. B4 I jumped into the Euro car scene, I was strictly domestic, now I own 3 import/euro's and one domestic.

In my exp it's easier to pull the motor to work on it than try and do it in the truck, I don't realy enjoy sitting on the radiator to work on it! But mine is 4wd and sits up a lot taller than yours. Nice work! I have always dreaded having to set up the OHC's on these things, but I always said that if I had to have it apart, I'd do headers, cams ect. as these trucks are very, how do you say, de-tuned from the factory. The F150 makes a nice Porsche recovery vehicle, regardless of what everyone else says!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The haters/bashers are out again. As I mentioned in the sticky post about bashers, I am going to be more vocal. Who cares if you will never own a Ford? Is your comment supposed to make the original poster feel bad or all Ford owners in general? This is not a thread of "my honda does better than your POS ford that needs an engine rebuild" etc. Does bashing another brand make you a bigger man or contribute anything to the thread? How about something revelent like: How well does that truck haul your Porsche or *here are some tips on what you should do while you are in there? I have a 98 Ford minibus with a 7.3 turbo diesel with over 500ftlb of torque at the wheels towing a 24ft enclosed trailer. It works GREAT and I am expecting 500k miles on that diesel engine.

Back to the original post. Great job on the rebuild. I don't have the patience and would have bought another used engine since I am lazy about learning to work on a different vehicle. My understanding is that the 5.4 engine is better than the 4.6 as the latter has head stud problems.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:40 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2005 sxt here- tows pretty good- 4.6l - trans could be better but hasnt let me down so far. 36k and no problems knock on plastic.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
The haters/bashers are out again. As I mentioned in the sticky post about bashers, I am going to be more vocal. Who cares if you will never own a Ford? Is your comment supposed to make the original poster feel bad or all Ford owners in general? This is not a thread of "my honda does better than your POS ford that needs an engine rebuild" etc. Does bashing another brand make you a bigger man or contribute anything to the thread? How about something revelent like: How well does that truck haul your Porsche or *here are some tips on what you should do while you are in there? I have a 98 Ford minibus with a 7.3 turbo diesel with over 500ftlb of torque at the wheels towing a 24ft enclosed trailer. It works GREAT and I am expecting 500k miles on that diesel engine.

Back to the original post. Great job on the rebuild. I don't have the patience and would have bought another used engine since I am lazy about learning to work on a different vehicle. My understanding is that the 5.4 engine is better than the 4.6 as the latter has head stud problems.
Can we still bash 928's????
Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

97f150 4x4 here with 206k I have the 4.6. Great motor, for that matter great truck. I have done several ohc ford v8 rebuilds. Setting up the cams are a piece of cake and definitly pull the motor to reassemble. Get a set of the mallory coil-on-plug coils with motorcraft platinum plugs. With those shorty headers it should pull a P-car fine. Having worked on them all, I much prefer a ford over anything GM. After working on front engine water cooled Porsches anything is better.
And Legoland. Anywhere else in the world a Porsche 951 is the biggest POS made. Don't get your feelings hurt here. You will need the posterity out in the real world.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
And Legoland. Anywhere else in the world a Porsche 951 is the biggest POS made. Don't get your feelings hurt here. You will need the posterity out in the real world.
Driving down one of the main drags on MCAGCC Twentynine Palms with my windows down, I slowed to let a Marine walk across the road. As he was walking, he looked at me, smiled, and said "that's the biggest piece of **** Porsche ever made." I laughed.

-Darwin
Old 02-27-2008, 12:10 PM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tk's944
But i would still never own a ford
Of the three Fords I have owned only one has ever had any real problems ...
'87 Bronco II - had this in high school ... I spent a lot of time trying to make this thing break and was generally successful. Mostly transmission and electrical issues. I spent more to keep this thing running than I paid for it (hmmm, sounds like my 951).

'96 Mustang GT - reliable and fun car, sold it with right around 100k on it, still ran great. Was slower than my stock 951 ...

'04 F250 6.0L Diesel, runs great so far, just under 40k miles on it. 15mpg
Old 02-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Cone_eater
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned an 89 Ford Festiva... wait I shouldn't tell anyone that. Never mind.
It got 40mpg and had red stripes that faded pink from the factory. One sweet chick magnet.
Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Jeep, it doesn't matter that brand as much as it matters about the history of the vehicle. But some cars have problems from the factory. Every car has problems, it’s just how hard is it to fix, and what’s it gonna cost.
Gotta love an economy car!
Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CurlyDE
Of the three Fords I have owned only one has ever had any real problems ...
'87 Bronco II - had this in high school ... I spent a lot of time trying to make this thing break and was generally successful. Mostly transmission and electrical issues. I spent more to keep this thing running than I paid for it (hmmm, sounds like my 951).
Lol, I also had an 87 which got me through most of college. Went through 3 tranmissions. It was too underpowered of an engine for that AOD tranny, and the damn things would cook themselves trying to push that little 2.9 motor. I ate them all up on the interstate. Other than that, it was a great little truck....you could not get it stuck. I did once, but i high centered on a snowbank while hunting (came over a hill and couldn't slow down enough once i saw the snow bank). Shoveled until the tires touched the ground again, and it dug itself right out. Never had an single other issue with it in the 4 years I had it. I still regret not dropping a 302 into that thing.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
97f150 4x4 here with 206k I have the 4.6. Great motor, for that matter great truck. I have done several ohc ford v8 rebuilds. Setting up the cams are a piece of cake and definitly pull the motor to reassemble. Get a set of the mallory coil-on-plug coils with motorcraft platinum plugs. With those shorty headers it should pull a P-car fine. Having worked on them all, I much prefer a ford over anything GM. After working on front engine water cooled Porsches anything is better.

Could not have said it better myself.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:04 PM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Lol, I also had an 87 which got me through most of college. Went through 3 tranmissions. It was too underpowered of an engine for that AOD tranny, and the damn things would cook themselves trying to push that little 2.9 motor.
Mine was a 5spd. 5th gear and reverse split apart and fooked up some other internals. Overall it was not a bad car ... I learned how to drive a manual tranny on it and in general abused the thing.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Some people can make any car run well, some people can't.

PS. Keep it up Lego, I'm with ya.

Quick Reply: Porsche support vehicle rebuild