Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which is more reliable, 951 or 928?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:42 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

i think the issue with the 928 transmission is the f-ing crossmember that goes underneath it.

its easier on the 944, its like 8 bolts and yank.

iirc the battery is next to the spare tire right?
Old 02-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i think the issue with the 928 transmission is the f-ing crossmember that goes underneath it.
Nothing difficult in it. Doesn't take long to drop entire rear suspension on the floor if needed.

iirc the battery is next to the spare tire right?
Below spare in trunk. Nothing difficult in it except some people don't have any idea where it is (not meaning you in here as you got some idea where to look). I knew one 928 S owner who was after owning the car two weeks certain battery must be inside one of the front fenders. He had some electric issues which were caused by weak battery. This is typical way how 928 gets bad name even among some 928 owners. They simply don't have enough info how it works and come to conclusion that 928 must have bad design.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:34 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Not sure I follow.

- door panels
I've had mine off a few times, what's the issue?

- fenders
Never had to do this, so I cannot comment.

- transmission
??? It's a piece of cake to remove.

- sunroof
Mine works, so again, neutral

- coolant tank
Took me about 30 minutes to swap (took extra time to collect coolant)

- intake
I'm demonstrated how I can remove my center plenum(16V) in under 10 minutes
To remove the rest is not difficult either.

- battery
??? Very easy to get at. The gromet on my 944 battery was bad. I found out when it leaked water / battery gunk into my cabin, ruined the floor mat.
Well of course for you, it's not an issue . You're used to it, you've perfected the procedure, and you've adjusted your standards to consider this stuff to be "easy". And I'm not saying they are very "hard" to do. They're just harder than a 944. The 928 door panels are like 3 or 4 pieces... the 944 panel is one or 2 pieces. 928 fender are a bear. Transmission... are you serious? Piece of cake? I'm a very experienced and brave home mechanic, and I never wanted to even try pulling the tranny on the 928. The 944 transmission is a piece of cake. Sunroof is a mess and lengthy procedure (but to be fair, any electric sunroof is - the 944 roof is just easier because the whole thing pops out ). 928 coolant tank is all stuffed into a tight space, and it's hard to get all the hoses reconnected... the 944 tank is right there, nothing easier. The 928 intake isn't really hard to remove it's just a lot of pieces... with a lot of rubber. And come on, the battery is totally harder to get to than the 944 battery. I know the 928 has the + jumper terminal under the hood, but still.

And as you mentioned the heads are also harder to pull. And there's two of them

Item by item, it's not much worse than a 944, but collectively, it can really make you . And it might be worth considering this when trying to choose between the two cars.

But I suppose the real question is reliability (as per the topic of the thread). The only thing I mentioned that pertains to reliability is the intake. The less gaskets, seals, o-rings and boots, the better. Am I wrong?
Old 02-23-2008, 10:50 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Ever take the gas tank out of a 944? That damn spare tire well is in the way, you have to take the transmission down in order to do it.

928, unscrew 4 bolts, 2 hoses, tank on the ground.

Transmission is not that big of a deal, 8 bolts, disconnect some cables and it lowers easy.

Door panel, if you are complaining about a door panel, quit doing mechanical work, it's not for you. On the 928 it's unclip one panel, take out 3 screws 4 bolts. Or was it 4 screws and 3 bolts? Takes 5 minutes.

Water leaks, all cars will have water leaks with age, simple fixes.

Fender? a few bolts on top, take out the side marker after you remove the whell well liners and 4 bolts to the bumper. Admittedly, the last bumper nut is a bitch, but a 1/4 drive with a 8mm and 12" extension makes quick work of it. Took the both front and rear bumpers off a GT last weekend, took 2 hours.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR
Transmission is not that big of a deal
Not that big of a deal..... except having to drop the entire rear suspension. On the 944 you only need to take out the muffler.

Originally Posted by SeanR
if you are complaining about a door panel, quit doing mechanical work, it's not for you.
Yeah you're right. Because I find a 3 piece door panel more difficult than a 1 piece door panel, I will put down the wrench forever. If you can take if off in 5 minutes then a 944 panel will take you 2. Don't get offended, I'm just saying it's more difficult than a 944's. Nothing else meant by it.

I've never removed a 944 gas tank so I'll take your word on that one. Thanks for bringing that up, I didn't know.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:45 AM
959Lover
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got all of you outdone. I can take off a door panel in under 2 minutes, take off a fender with the removal of 8 bolts, and can do the tranny job by myself with my arms. Well, the fact that i have manly buff arms helps too because I drive a man's car with no sissy steering assistance

In other words, arguing about who's car is easier to work on is pointless. Things are naturally 'easier' for some people than it is for others.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:00 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,206 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Transmission... are you serious? Piece of cake? I'm a very experienced and brave home mechanic, and I never wanted to even try pulling the tranny on the 928. The 944 transmission is a piece of cake.
It's really not hard at all. I would hope (and pray) the 944 trans is easier since it must be removed to do a clutch job (correct?) with the 928, it's rare to pull the transmission.
Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Am I wrong?
Not, but in a thread that has been going on this long we get to argue about the little things now
Old 02-24-2008, 01:24 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by 959Lover
and can do the tranny job by myself with my arms.
i had to benchpress the end of the tranny while my dad hooked up the chassis mounts...and of course the bolts wouldnt line up...

X_X

now we need to change the topic of the discussion to...

"which is prettier, 951 or 928?"
Old 02-24-2008, 01:50 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it must be removed to do a clutch job (correct?)
Yep, hence it's just deserved contempt.

Quick Reply: which is more reliable, 951 or 928?