Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New job= new opportunities

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:20 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New job= new opportunities

Hello everyone. I've been a member for a couple years now, but I do not own a Porsche... Sadly. I just got a new job that will give me a surplus cash flow and I want a new car. I'm nearly ready to start shopping for a 944, but I'm curious as to where the best place is to shop for one. I'm interested in a 951 if I can find a reasonable offer. I'm not too excited about paying 8k on a car right now and that seems to be the going price, however I am willing to work on a car if its not too problematic as long as I can keep initial purchase price down. (don't want a "junker")

Can anyone point me in a good direction? Like I said. I'm not currently interested in purchasing one, but I've started looking. If I could get some helpful tips and pointers for finding good deals I would really appreciate it.

Supposing I come across a "good deal" in my area, I am local (within a couple miles) to Tom Charlesworth. My girlfriend has her 928s4 serviced by him often and he already told me that he would want to inspect any 944 I intend on buying before purchase. I'm pretty set on picking one up somewhere between fall and summer. I'd like to start looking now and watch the field a bit so I am fully prepared when the right time comes.

Thanks for your help,
Alan
Old 02-07-2008, 01:35 AM
amunoz3
Track Day

hey well if you buy a 944 welcome to the club. I was in your position for about 3 months and had about 13 cars inspected before i bought one for a decent price. All i have to say is be patient and have someone experienced take a look especially for costly engine oil leaks. I ended up buying a 944 s2 with 8k miles on a 968 engine for only 9k. Take your time.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:36 AM
omnipresent
Racer

Alan, I've got an '86 951 - 8.0 (I'm picky) car overall, not perfect, but very very clean. In north Texas, getting a 996 and will be selling my 951. I've got a book full of maintenance and title in hand. Serviced by Ruf tech only while I've owned her. Tom Charlesworth knows this car via previous owner as well
Old 02-07-2008, 01:57 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Very nice. I'm sure he would remember the car, if I could show him a picture or mention an owner's name. Of course, I may end up talking to him for hours on end about it and other things before he has to duck back into his shop. I love visiting that place. He'll talk your left leg off and I don't even mind. Worlds of information in his head.

omnipresent, you has pm
Old 02-07-2008, 02:02 AM
omnipresent
Racer

If I has pm - I hasn't seen it! LOL Maybe resend?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:04 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

I posted my comment before completing my pm for you. Didn't know you were that quick!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Loquat15
Racer

Buying a porsche with a low initial cost is only asking to have issues. Although buying one that has a huge initial cost might have its own issues as well...

Anyways, There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche. Someone can hand you a 951 for free and you'll end up spending quite some money/time on it.

Fun cars though, always puts a smile on my face (till that $100 part needs to be replaced every other month)
Old 02-07-2008, 02:14 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

Let me clarify. I don't expect to get away with a cheap deal. The car will be garage kept, where I will poke around on it and inspect/detail it extensively. Its fine if I have to run up a bill fixing it. I just don't want to take a loan out on a car and spend a bunch of money on interest. I don't have to spend interest on maintenance bills. I do on purchase price.

yes, in mind of my credit and pocket book, I will have to take a loan out to purchase the car.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:49 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

A friend of mine got a running 951 for $3500. All it needed was a complete timing belt job and waterpump. The history of the car was like the history of the dinosaurs... who can know for sure, there are no records, but just look at what's remained and make a judgement call.

Usually that's the way it is with 944s, if you get a cheap one, all you need is belts, WP, maybe some shocks, motor mounts, and a PS hose. But with the 951 it's a can of worms. You can still do it relatively cheap, but it won't be easy. Personally, the way I see it, all 20 year old cars will need a bunch of new parts anyway. I would rather replace them all in the first month of ownership than spread out over a few years of ownership. But I'm in the minority on that one.

Craigslist.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

If you're looking for a non-turbo, I have one in the trader for sale. All the bells and whistles have been done to it, including a rebuilt motor.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are mechanicly inclined, you can get lucky like I did and find one in non-running condition. I picked mine up, well stole it mostly, for $1700. The car needed a wiring harness due to a small fire, 4 intake valves, and a belt job. I replaced all the vacuum lines and a few extra peices while I was in there, but spent a total of $2000 in parts etc. and did all the work myself. Now I have a car with cloth sport seats, LSD, and a fresh top end build with under $4000 into it that runs fantastic.

Granted this is a rare find, but they are out there. Now I don't feel so bad with spending good money on upgrades. Keep in mind the great addage of, "There is nothing more expensive, than a cheap Porsche." Not all can get as lucky as I did. I was worried I'd get the car back together and it would have low compression issues or other damage that was unseen.

Good luck in your search!

Quick Reply: New job= new opportunities