Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather dash attempt..

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:06 PM
pcutt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back on topic again....

What kind of adhesive are you going to use? I considered doing a dash rebuild myself and I could never get a good answer on the long term prospects for it looking good, so I put this project on the back burner. In particular, I contacted a dash rebuild supplier here on RL and inquired about long-term qualities such as buckling, delamination and peeling at edges, plus I also asked for references. I never got a reply so I interpreted it as a vote of non-confidence in his product. Since I live in SoCal where it's sunny and hot, I'm concerned about putting lots of time and effort into a dash replacement only to have something that doesn't look good after a long hot summer. I figure that the adhesive is a key element in the long-term success of a reskinning but haven't ever gotten a good answer. Have you found out anything on this?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcutt
Back on topic again....

What kind of adhesive are you going to use? I considered doing a dash rebuild myself and I could never get a good answer on the long term prospects for it looking good, so I put this project on the back burner. In particular, I contacted a dash rebuild supplier here on RL and inquired about long-term qualities such as buckling, delamination and peeling at edges, plus I also asked for references. I never got a reply so I interpreted it as a vote of non-confidence in his product. Since I live in SoCal where it's sunny and hot, I'm concerned about putting lots of time and effort into a dash replacement only to have something that doesn't look good after a long hot summer. I figure that the adhesive is a key element in the long-term success of a reskinning but haven't ever gotten a good answer. Have you found out anything on this?

I'm leaving it for Rob. I guess he propaly does use contact cement.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:22 PM
pcutt
Burning Brakes

Contact cement weakens at high temps, which is one of my concerns with reskinning. Keep us posted.

Thanks!
Paul
Old 01-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pcutt
Contact cement weakens at high temps, which is one of my concerns with reskinning. Keep us posted.

Thanks!
Paul
Will Do.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:29 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nh7cy
Hey,

Sorry about the long length of time I've been away. Arash, thanks for protecting my privacy but I guess I'll tell my story. If you have a speeding ticket PAY IT ASAP!! I got this letter in the mail about a speeding ticket I wasn't able to pay (didn't have the money for it at the time because I had just paid for my college classes) and it came out to something like $1500. So I've been working like every day and haven't been able to go online much.

Anyway, I still have all of your stuff, I just need to find the time to drop by the post office and pick up all of the boxes for it. Hopefully if all goes well I can ship it all out tomorrow between class and work.

You can pay for it once you get it and everything is all good to go.
Originally Posted by Po924S
I'll make sure to pay my speeding ticket asap, lol. Sweet. Thanks.
Incase it would help at all, I'm back in the bay area this weekend and my roommate up in sacramento is from chico, and we have both been going back home every weekend so far. So if shipping is a lot and the panels don't need to get up there for a week or so, I could probably take them to sac and have my roomie take them up to chico.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, how did this turn out?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
So, how did this turn out?
Well, actually my Dad know's an interior guy, and i'm going to go see him today, to talk about it. The guy does all of the Harley Davidson seats. He's also done a couple of Porsches, a De tomaso, and lots of other cars. I'll let you guys know what he says.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Well I talked to the guy. He'll do it for the same price that Rob would do it for. My Dad and I talked about it, and were going to go buy a sewing machine, and see if it would be possible to sew it ourself. If so, i'll sew my door panels, and other interior panels. I'm checking into a sewing machine tommarow, and im going to test it out. I'll update you guys. (An update to the people that actually read this thread, lol.)
Old 02-16-2008, 01:49 AM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Old 02-16-2008, 02:20 AM
944obscene
Three Wheelin'

You should definitely practice your sewing on different materials to get a feel for things, then try sewing patches of leather, before stitching the dash cover. I will sew do this when I get the chance.

Only difference is... I like sued.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:05 AM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Oh yea. I intend to practice and everything on other material first. I don't wanna ruin my leather, lol.

Quick Reply: Leather dash attempt..