Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterpump HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:10 PM
GGe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterpump HELP?

I ordered waterpump for my 944S2 on ebay. I finally got the car into a garage I only have for few days. And I have teared everything apart now. Waterpump arrives one month to late and now when I finally have it, it's wrong! This pump is for a 944Turbo. The pump "body" is the same and does fit in the car. But the diffrence is bigger "pump wheel" in my old pump. (pumps more water). Also is my old pump marked 2,7l but the new one 2,5l.

Can I use this new pump? Will it no be able to pump enough?

Huge problem for me, I can't get another pump here... The dealer here in Iceland charge 74.500kr for it. It's $1.202 dollars!!

PLease let me know if somebody can help me?

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmm...seeing as you're in Iceland, I don't know if this will help. I ordered my waterpump from Zims (www.allzim.com). Altho it was for a 2.5 turbo, it was only $90 (with a $100 core charge). Definately a lot cheaper than a grand! Also try www.paragon-products.com. They ship internationally and their rebuilt units are $145 (with the same $100 core charge).

-Darwin

(Just checked Zims and their S2 rebuilt units are $95. I have used their rebuilt units with no problems)
Old 01-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Mikes3.0cabturbo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GGe, I have a S2 thats I have pulled appart and fitting new internals to, the water pump is in good condition but I am replacing it anyway.

You are welcome to it if you pay the shipping costs - Sydney Australia to you? Try logging onto Australia Post for rates.

BTW, mine is marked 2.7 as well.

rgds
mike
Old 01-14-2008, 07:00 PM
GGe
Advanced

Thanks for this

But I'm trying to find out if it's ok to use this pump from 944Turbo... Because usually it take ages to receive package from usa here to Iceland and I'm in trouble because I need to put everything together as soon as possable.

Will it not be able to pump all the water that the engine needs? I would have thought that Turbo cars would need more cooling than S2. I know S2 has 3ltr... but it does not have the same power and the turbo cars. Because the Turbine needs to be cooled down also. Oil also cools down the turbine but water is used to cool down the oil.

Shii... I would think this waterpump would be enough. But I need to be sure.

Anyone?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...106.003.00.htm

That's the S2 waterpump, also fits the 2.7L 89. Doesn't look like a 2.5 pump will work.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:48 PM
GGe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mikes3.0cabturbo
GGe, I have a S2 thats I have pulled appart and fitting new internals to, the water pump is in good condition but I am replacing it anyway.

You are welcome to it if you pay the shipping costs - Sydney Australia to you? Try logging onto Australia Post for rates.

BTW, mine is marked 2.7 as well.

rgds
mike

Thank you But shipping from your place would cost alot. My old pump is pretty good, does not feel like it is used. BUT I have no idea when it was last replaced and I'm planning on using this car much so I thought it would be better to have it new
Also I'm replacing every seal at the front of the engine. So I'm hoping I will not have to tear this apart soon again.

Guðmundur Geir E.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

Are you sure you have the wrong pump? The 2,7 marked pump is what I put in my 944S2.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, thats the wrong pump. It will not fit to the block. The larger wheel will hit the block, so when you torque down the bolts it will break the wheel. I have seen a shop do that, then ask if they should check if its correct. You need the smaller wheel version for your car.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

He said the big wheel was in his old pump, I think.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:34 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh, close enough, just reverse what I said. :P

I wouldn't recommend using that WP. I would get the one with the proper setup for your car. While it might work, there is no sense in taking such a risk with your car.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

As he's in Iceland and he might have a perfectly good water pump, just with an impeller he's not familiar with? The smaller impeller might be a newer design that is more efficient, or the old one might be overkill. The OEM impeller is pretty massive. I could see it being improved.

I suppose you could swap impellers if you wanted to avoid getting another pump shipped in. I was tempted to pin mine on the last time I did one, as the old pump failed due to the impeller getting a bit loose.

-Joel.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 AM
GGe
Advanced

Thanks for answers!
But I only needed to know if I could use this new pump, not where could get new one.

But I have decided to use this one. I have talked to my friend about this. He has tuned turbo 944 and his new pump is the same as original. And he has never had any heating problems. So I will use this one, the seller that sold it to me doesn't want to make up for this problem and he doesn't anwer me! So if this will not work I will just tear this apart again

Here are photos... I will draw into those pics how the blades are in. They are not the same. New pump might pumb more than old one. Here:

Quick Reply: Waterpump HELP?