Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm going racing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you need a PCA membership and a NASA membership?
Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

congrats! but learn to swim before you jump off the high dive. you haven't even done enough research to find the schedule, much less review rules and build costs.

don't be surprised if you drop 20K prepping and racing your first full season.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:00 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by banana944
Do you need a PCA membership and a NASA membership?
Just NASA.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:23 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, $300 well spent, I agree. I'm not exactly rolling in money, so I try to spend wisely. I think this will go a long way, as a fun time and also as a skill improvement. I don't think I'll be doing any other DEs soon though, since I'm trying to save money for an engine build.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:02 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewsifer
Lucky dog! I consider Leguna Seca one of the "Must Drive" tracks. Sadly no over time pay for soldiers (Although I do plenty of overtime!). Anyone from the Arizona region know when the next HPDE days are? I've asked several sources but have yet to get any answers.
Az schedule for HPDE is the same as what is posted for 944 spec racing. We run HPDE on the same day as the races. http://www.clubracingaz.com/

Originally Posted by sbyrne
Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but have you researched what this is gonna cost? I've got several friends who road race (regionally not nationally), and it's tremendously expensive. Heck, I spend many hundreds of dollars a year just autocrossing locally! But hey, if you've got it, go for it!
Yes racing even in a "cheap series" can be expensive. Step 1 however is just to come out to the track and do DE days in stock car. Spend some time in DE and see how you like it and the costs come out. The cost for a DE entry fee is about $20 less than for racing. Of course car prep is more critial in racing than DE, but DE is the place to start. In NASA you can run DE on the same day as the racing so you still get to hang around all the racers. Most of our racer started in DE and did that for a year or more before racing. The good thing is that if you find yourself un able to afford DE then you know that before going on in with full up race car.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:04 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Racing isn't cheap - neither is owning a car that depreciates (poor asset to own). 944 Spec is inexpensive compared to most other racing series (even go karts and shifter karts!).

I'm building a 944 Spec car right now and with a bunch of local Kansas City guys we will develop a region and have some fun racing.

Last edited by jaje; 01-14-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Tim Comeau
Racer

NASA's 944 spec class, which is the same rules as PCA Club Racing's SP-1 class, is growing all over the country because it's the cheapest and best set of 944 racing rules out there.
The car doesn't have to be fully spec'd out to start driving it in the 944 spec class.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:06 AM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran much of 2007 in 944Spec with the stock suspension, until I was ready to put the whole race suspension in. Just get the safety equipment done and come out and have a blast.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
Racing isn't cheap - neither is owning a car that depreciates (poor asset to own). 944 Spec is inexpensive compared to most other racing series (even go karts and shifter karts!).

I'm building a 944 Spec car right now and with a bunch of local Kansas City guys we will develop a region and have some fun racing.

Good point, Joel.

May 944 Spec Car, tow vehicle (VW Eurovan), and daily driver ('88 944S) put together cost less than my wife's A3, and are depreciating less. No they're not exotic, but all quite a bit of fun. Also there is some contingency money in racing Spec - over $2K per weekend in my region. Are you going to make money racing Spec - NO - but cheap consumables, and reliable cars help a lot. A 944 Spec Car recently ran the 25 hours of Thunderhill replacing only one set of tires, and front pads. Two set of tires, and 1.5 set of pads = <$1,500 dollors in tires and brakes for a 25 hour race! Many more expensive series spend more than that on less than 1/10th the track time (one racing weekend).
Old 01-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Drewsifer
Racer

Originally Posted by JerryW
I ran much of 2007 in 944Spec with the stock suspension, until I was ready to put the whole race suspension in. Just get the safety equipment done and come out and have a blast.
This will probably be what I'll have to do. Little steps.

I don't think I'm diving before I can swim at all. I've allowed myself a year or so to get everything in order. And while I've "decided" to go racing, if things aren't working out I'm not going to press the issue. I just see this as a great opportunity. I have the car! And even when I eventually leave Texas, I can take the car with me. I've looked at the numbers, I've found the information. Now I just need to take little steps to get there. Thanks for the support guys! See you on the track (hopefully).

Quick Reply: I'm going racing!