Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side floor FLOODED!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:17 AM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger side floor FLOODED!

So it's been raining alot up here in the San Francisco bay area, and my cars been slowly building more and more water. I do not have a garage to park my car in untill i move to the east coast so there is nothing i can do. The water seems to be coming in through the window seals. Althought the seals themselves seem fine, but just dont apply enough pressure against the window to keep the water out. My passenger side floor is soo flooded if you drop something onto the carpet you'll see it splash! I need to get this problem fixed and I am almost certain its coming from the door because there are no leaks from the engine bay or the battery tray ( I coated my battery tray with Bedliner, and its bullet proof )... how do i fix the window seal??
-Thanks in advance for any help you can give
Old 01-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Z-man
Race Director

I know on late model 944's (85.5 and up), the battery acid would cause corrosion just infront of the firewall. And water would find its way into the pass footwell (and onto the DME) through the corrosion. Ya might want to check for that as well.

Also - if your car has AC, make sure that condensor hose underneath the dash is properly attached. A detached or broken hose will send all the captured evaporation onto your floor.

Good luck,
-Z-man.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:59 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

When my window seals went bad my doors would store alot of water and you could hear it sloshing lol..

I got a drill and tapped a few holes in the bottom of each door so it drains. Works like a charm.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:01 AM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

I am almost positive that its from the door, when the passenger side door is opened from sitting in the rain for awhile, water will spash out. And there is a water line on the inner cavity of my door, right about the same level as the water would start pouring out into the car, and be held in by the door seal. My main question is if there is a quick solution to the window seal letting in water? the current botton seal appears to be in good condition, not cracked, or worn. Me and another rennlister tested it with a water jug and water was making its way in through the seal, even though it appeared to be flush with the window.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has your windshield been replaced? If yes, open the hood and check the RTV sealant right around the passenger side bracket. A guy in another forum was getting water in the passenger side through a gap in the sealant after having the windshield replaced. The factory sealant can also separate and allow seepage.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:59 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ummm...

How does a door leak onto a floor? Water runs by gravity, no? That means downhill, and the only thing downhill from a door is the rocker sill... or the ground if the door is open. The only way it could get into the floor is if it splashed there, and I assume you have door panels on it.

If your door is filling up, it means the drains in the bottom of the shell are plugged with junk. You might be able to open the drains by poking up from outside, but that will not remove the junk inside. Remove the door panel and clean the door shell out inside.

If your floor is wet, it is almost certainly what either Luis or Z mentioned. Hope your battery box is not as bad as the one I recently fixed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/399455-944-fixup-what-did-you-get-your-sweetie-for-x-mas.html
Old 01-05-2008, 10:46 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Oddly I have a slightly different problem. When it rains heavily my rear passenger floor gets flooded. I'm suspecting the drain for the sunroof because I've seen water pooled in that area of the sunroof before.

So on top of the $2600 worth of other maintenance repairs I just found I needed I've got to mess with this issue too.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:57 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem and my car does not have a sunroof. I cleaned out the battery box drain(clogged) and have not had rain since. My rear hatch is separating and I am suspicious that this may be letting water drain through to the passenger compartment.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
My rear hatch is separating and I am suspicious that this may be letting water drain through to the passenger compartment.
This is the number 1 cause right up there with a cracked battery box or leaking windshield.

You can get away with filling the gaps between the frame and the hatch glass with liquid RTV or silicone. Just fill the gaps and cover with Saran wrap until it dries. Then pull the Saran wrap and the hardened RTV should keep the water out.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:31 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Yea. I am not chasing this until I try the rebuild (clarks garage) of my rear hatch. I glanced at my battery box and it seems ok. Drivers floor is usually dry compared to the "back" seat floor.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

OK guys, try this. take a piece of tape and put it on the quarter window and the rubber on the quarter window. where they meet on the bottom.

if the leak stops you can fill the seam with sealant. if not, keep hunting.

last year about this time i had the interior out, was trying to get mold off the bottom of the back seat, cleaned out clean sunroof drains, swapped hatches with another rennlister, blah blah.

the water was coming in from the seal in that window.

go figya!!! good luck
Old 01-05-2008, 11:45 AM
whalebird
Race Car

thanks I will give it a look.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:31 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ccaarmerciill
I am almost positive that its from the door, when the passenger side door is opened from sitting in the rain for awhile, water will spash out. And there is a water line on the inner cavity of my door, right about the same level as the water would start pouring out into the car, and be held in by the door seal. My main question is if there is a quick solution to the window seal letting in water? the current botton seal appears to be in good condition, not cracked, or worn. Me and another rennlister tested it with a water jug and water was making its way in through the seal, even though it appeared to be flush with the window.

Most doors are often designed for SOME water to drain through them. Hence the reason for a moisture barrier there as well.

I would most certainly blame the sunroof. The BEST thing to do is to do what I just did a few minutes ago, hop in your car when it's raining and see what's causing the leaks. That way you'll know for sure. Chances are, you'll never have as much water as what would be in a jug pouring down your door (unless you park next to the side of a building's downspout or something).

I have an 84 Porsche 944, and my cowl area leaked as well from both sides. On the drivers side because the previous owner installed an aftermarket alarm with wood screws straight through the cowl panel, and then on the passenger side due to battery acid.

I've since welded shut the holes on the drivers side, and welded in some new metal in the areas where the battery acid had JUST eaten through (you'll see it after taking a wire brush to the area). I then leak tested it, and sprayed the whole thing with undercoating.

Hope that helps?
Old 01-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Z-man
I know on late model 944's (85.5 and up), the battery acid would cause corrosion just infront of the firewall. And water would find its way into the pass footwell (and onto the DME) through the corrosion. Ya might want to check for that as well.

Also - if your car has AC, make sure that condensor hose underneath the dash is properly attached. A detached or broken hose will send all the captured evaporation onto your floor.

Good luck,
-Z-man.
Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Ummm...

How does a door leak onto a floor? Water runs by gravity, no? That means downhill, and the only thing downhill from a door is the rocker sill... or the ground if the door is open. The only way it could get into the floor is if it splashed there, and I assume you have door panels on it.

If your door is filling up, it means the drains in the bottom of the shell are plugged with junk. You might be able to open the drains by poking up from outside, but that will not remove the junk inside. Remove the door panel and clean the door shell out inside.

If your floor is wet, it is almost certainly what either Luis or Z mentioned. Hope your battery box is not as bad as the one I recently fixed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399455
I can guarantee that it is not his battery tray. It did have a few small holes but they are most certainly water tight now. We took the door panel off and poured water on the window and we could see the water going right through the passenger window seal down into the door filling it up. The seal is making contact with the window just not enough pressure.

Originally Posted by whalebird
I have the same problem and my car does not have a sunroof. I cleaned out the battery box drain(clogged) and have not had rain since. My rear hatch is separating and I am suspicious that this may be letting water drain through to the passenger compartment.
I had water leaking through the top of my hatch on my old 83 and it was the hatch seal.

Quick Reply: Passenger side floor FLOODED!